Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

water on slide-outs

How to remove water on top of slide-outs before retracting, and how to prevent water from accumulating in the first place?
nomosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

On my 5ers , I'd raise the rear stabilizers then raise the front landing legs about 2" , wait till run off stopped , level, then retract the slides. Doesn't work well if still raining.
Coach has slide toppers , if there is a water build up , I bring in slide 4 to6 inches at a time , waiting for runoff to stop. Don't know of any way to deal with water on top of slide on a coach without toppers.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

Usually, the seal will squeegee (most of) it off when coming in.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

My Winnebago owners manual says to raise the off-side and allow the water to drain off the slide-room roof. With our 5er I did as Skip.
With a motorhome, if the seals do not squeegee the water off, the driver gets a bath when he makes the first stop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Slide out awnings work the best. If you don't have them level the RV so that there is a slight decline on the slide out side. This drains the water off the slide top.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

If it's not pouring down rain, I'll usually use a leaf blower to remove most of the water before retracting.

If it is pouring rain, the previous suggestions are good but if I notice water still on top of the slide once it's retracted, I can access one end with a telescoping-pole sponge mop so water won't slide off but usually the seals will get it pretty dry.

One thing I do which makes the water easier to blow off on both the slide toppers and the slide top itself is to use 303 regularly as it works to shed water the way a good wax job beads and sheds water. As I mentioned in another recent thread, I use 303 on just about everything and buy it by the 4-gallon case.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My winnebaggo manual specifically states to tilt the motorhome to allow for excess water run-off. I tilt the side with the 19 foot slide a couple inches. My mind just says that it is easier for that big slide to come down, then having it down and trying raising it up.

It gets under the topper when the rain is coming at a slant or the wind is blowing.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I guess I am not the only one with that problem. The top seal on my unit was cut by the previous owner. It might have been rubbing or preventing closure. Who knows? I just today bought a new slide top seal and will install it as soon as I can find another person with a tall ladder. It takes 2 people to move the topper onto the roof and remove the seal and install another. The topper is also sagging and collects water. As soon as I test the sweep on the new seal I will decide. A new topper is available from Tough Top Awnings in Washington at reasonable prices and it seems to be extra good quality. This will be several hours work and a good time to clean that slide top and ensure it is watertight.
camperme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #9

Water on slide out

You might try :

#1 carry a ladder and a long handle broom. Hold the ladder for the DW while she sweeps the top of the slide.

#2 Get a topper for the slide.

I would strongly suggest #2.....
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My Winnebago owners manual says to raise the off-side and allow the water to drain off the slide-room roof. With our 5er I did as Skip.
With a motorhome, if the seals do not squeegee the water off, the driver gets a bath when he makes the first stop.
Been there, done that
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #11

After tilting and draining, I also mop from one end to remove excess water. I then place a towel on the top of the slide (just behind the driver) and tape a note on the slide switch so I remember to remove the towel before extending the slide again.
Fred
Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

I purchased an 18" squeegee from home depot and attached it to an aluminum telescoping pole from an old swimming pool skimmer. Since I always use a ladder to look and make sure that nothing is on top of slide before I retract it, I squeegee off top of slide while I'm there.
Bamashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamashell View Post
I purchased an 18" squeegee from home depot and attached it to an aluminum telescoping pole from an old swimming pool skimmer. Since I always use a ladder to look and make sure that nothing is on top of slide before I retract it, I squeegee off top of slide while I'm there.

I do the same.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #14

My slide toppers are slanted.
Perhaps newer toppers are that way?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote