Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Water overflow

Hi, We are in Florida at a campground with a 2013 thor ace 29.2.Hooked up to city water and noticed fresh water tank is trickling out at fill spout on side of motorhome. City water has to be getting into my fresh water tank. Wondering if this has happened to anyone and what is the solution.Appreciate any help with this, thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Many rigs have a tank fill valve from the city water plumbing. It may be partly open or leaking by. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

There can be a valve to switch to fill the tank, or the pump's check valve could be bad. Lucking your vent on the tank must work and you didn't blow up.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

fresh water has separate place on side of motorhome, you just shove hose in and when full water runs out over side of motorhome. City water is another place on side of motorhome and no valves at all involved
Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor ace View Post
fresh water has separate place on side of motorhome, you just shove hose in and when full water runs out over side of motorhome. City water is another place on side of motorhome and no valves at all involved
Obviously, the "city water" is being added to your tank somehow.....probably thru the pump, as suggested above.

Try posting your situation in the THOR owner's forum here on iRV2. I'm betting you aren't the first to have this issue.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Since the whole county has been colder than normal, have you been exposed to freezing temps? One thought that I am hoping is very wrong is that the water in the tank is starting to freeze, and the expansion is pushing water out of the full tank. Again, hoping that I am wrong.

EDIT: I would also agree with edgray. If the water in the tank is not freezing, then the pressure of the city water is somehow pushing backwards past your fresh water pump, and into the fresh water tank (?check valve?).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor ace View Post
Well, I guess you sure schooled us!

Actually there is a valve that allows you to fill your fresh tank while hooked to city water. Look on page 82 of your manual. It is probably partially in the "fresh tank" position or it is broken. if neither of those, then the check valve on your water pump may be bad or stuck.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
....Actually there is a valve that allows you to fill your fresh tank while hooked to city water....
That's the way mine works. One position is for shore water, the other position is to fill the tank while hooked to shore water.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm aware that things change, but the OP's description of filling the FW tank was on the mark for my 2012 Thor Hurricane 32A. The only way to fill the FW tank was via the fill spot on the side of the motorhome (it wasn't even behind a door, just a screw on cap). City water was also not in a bay, but another receptacle on the side of the motorhome a little ways below the gravity fill. It was always either-or, but not both. There probably was a check valve where the FW tank line met the city water fill line, but that area was located in a wall cavity that had to be accessed through a false cabinet wall below the bathroom sink. While I may be wrong about the OPs filling method, my point is that this statement could have been accurate for a Thor just two years ago.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I'm aware that things change, but the OP's description of filling the FW tank was on the mark for my 2012 Thor Hurricane 32A. The only way to fill the FW tank was via the fill spot on the side of the motorhome (it wasn't even behind a door, just a screw on cap). City water was also not in a bay, but another receptacle on the side of the motorhome a little ways below the gravity fill. It was always either-or, but not both. There probably was a check valve where the FW tank line met the city water fill line, but that area was located in a wall cavity that had to be accessed through a false cabinet wall below the bathroom sink. While I may be wrong about the OPs filling method, my point is that this statement could have been accurate for a Thor just two years ago.
Well, truth is of course that without being there and looking at it, I cannot speak with complete authority but the 2013 manual does list the valve. It could be an option.

That unfortunately would have been the best possible cause.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two suspects: As noted above many RVs have a Quick Fill valve (that is the brand name of one of 'em) this is a valve usually on the service side of the motor home near the water inlet, that lets you fill the fresh tank from the city water inlet.. It may be a 3-way valve and if it is not fully seated it can do that...

The other suspect is the water pump check valves.

There is no suspect #3.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #12

update, thanks all for your answers. took unit into camping world and water pump was the problem. new water pump installed and no problems since. tks again for answering.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #13

Always good to hear what the problem was...thanks for the update.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #14

I would guess I have the same water pump as you. I had the same problem with my fresh water tank filling slowly while connected to city water. It happened twice this winter. I turned off the city water and ran off the water pump. It was obvious it was the check valve in the water pump because the pump would momentarly come on every few minutes to maintain pressure. I just ran the water pump for about 10 minutes and the leak down of pressure stopped. It was probably just a little obstruction keeping the valve from closing all the way. I ran off the pump for a few days to drain down the water tank. Now every couple of weeks I fill the tank and run the water pump for a day or so . No re-occurrence of the problem. Like most of the systems in our RV's it's best to exercise the machine rather than leave it dormant.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water