Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #15

What is the proper way to adjust an adjustable water pressure regulator with an attached guage like the Watts as sold by RV Water Filter store or the one pictured above?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
What is the proper way to adjust an adjustable water pressure regulator with an attached guage like the Watts as sold by RV Water Filter store or the one pictured above?

I adjust it with a static pressure in other words no faucets running. There is a screw on the top of the black portion. Turn it to adjust pressure. The gauge shows the adjusted pressure.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I adjust it with a static pressure in other words no faucets running. There is a screw on the top of the black portion. Turn it to adjust pressure. The gauge shows the adjusted pressure.
Question-

If you turn the knob to 60 at one park but at the next park the actual pressure is 50 will the gauge show 60 (the "set" pressure) or 50 (the "actual" pressure)?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
It will show the lower of the two incoming pressure or set point . It cannot raise the pressure.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #19

On a Watts, screw the adjuster "in" (clockwise) to raise static pressure or to lower it?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Born.....You want to use either the Watts 263 or the Valterra 1117. These are both good quality adjustable pressure regulators with integral gauge. I keep my Valterra set to 55-60.

The direction to turn is marked on the screw. In any event, just watch the gauge-- it's either one way or the other.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #21

Phil checks the pressure before hooking up, so hasn't yet used a regulator while on city water.
Our kitchen sink was also sloooow. When he replaced the kitchen faucet there were two small flow restricting screens in the fixture! New faucet & no flow issues now! ( similar for the bath sink faucet replaced)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #22

Just for everyone's information, the NFPA requires 120 psi at every fire plug. 150 psi is the max that cities shoot for. During monthly emergency fire pump tests, we get a tremendous water hammer in our S&B at around midnight. Not using a water pressure regulator in RV parks is pretty risky, especially if it is fairly new. This last spring, we blow up the toilet as I did not use the regulator for just one night.
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #23

nothing.

if you think the water pressure is too high, then just don't turn the knob all the way!

easy

over 75,000 miles and endless rv parks and campgrounds and have NEVER used one, and no issues either.... I turn the water on BEFORE i ever attach it to my rig, if the pressure seems to high, I back it off a bit.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
nothing.

if you think the water pressure is too high, then just don't turn the knob all the way!

easy

It does not work that way, if you put a pressure gauge on the hose bib and crack the valve and let the pressure build up until it stabilizes and then open the valve all the way, want you won't see is the pressure go up.

-Kevin
Old 07-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #25

Been in the gas industry for 38 yrs. To set regulator you need a flow. It will not increase the pressure beyond inlet no matter what. Shut off pressure is the lockup pressure which could vary up to 5#. Adjust pressure with a flow to desired outlet pressure. Inlet pressures can have an affect on outlet setting.ie. higher inlet higher outl and lower inlet lower outlet.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #26

Those cheap inline gizmos are actually flow regulators. I suppose that they regulate pressure at full flow (must be how they get away with the name). As kfriceman said; the pressure will build up until it stabilizes.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
nothing.

easy

over 75,000 miles and endless rv parks and campgrounds and have NEVER used one, and no issues either.... I turn the water on BEFORE i ever attach it to my rig, if the pressure seems to high, I back it off a bit.
The pressure will be the same no matter how far you open the valve although the flow rate will change.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #28

Although I carry one I never use one. The fresh water inlet on my coach has built in one rated at 65psi and never had an issue 12+yrs
Dick Missett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure