Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water pressure and volume suggestion

Hi there everyone,

DW and I live in a 2003 Allegro bus. We have been struggling with water Volume ever since we put a pressure regulator on. At the holding tank for the RV park, the gauge says 50 to 55 PSI. Below 50, the compressor kicks in and increases the pressure to 55. We've tried two different styles of 'Campco' pressure gauges and they both say the pressure is between 75 and 80 PSI without a regulator.

We are wondering if anyone has any suggestion for an accurate way to measure the water pressure at our rig? when we put a 'Pressure Regulator' in the water line, though the pressure comes down to at or below 50 PSI on the Campco gauges, the volume is almost not enough to keep the shower valve diverted when we take a shower in the morning. I was thinking of maybe making a 'Pressure Vessel' to go between the RV and the faucet, but fluid dynamics is not my strong suit.

We'd welcome anyting that anyone can share with us.

Thank you very much to anyone for your help!

Respectfully,

Eric and Carol Anderson

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

If you are talking about one of the camco regulators like this:

Camco Brass Water Pressure Regulator with Gauge - Walmart.com

You problem is probably the regulator. You want something like a Watts that is adjustable and has a guaranteed flow. You are probably looking at $50-100.

FWIW why not just keep water in your tank and use your pump instead. That way you have a constant setup for pressure and limited damage if there is a leak.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

If you are using one of those little inline regulators my guess is that's your problem.
A little more money, but a good Adjustable Regulator will give you full volume at set pressure. There are other makes but I use this one and it does the job well.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...sure+regulator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	129989  
Old 06-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

X2 on nothermark and Dennis. Those fixed Camco "regulators" are primarily big time flow restrictors. You need either a Valterra 1117 or a Watts 263. Both are good quality adjustable residential pressure regulators that allow a good robust flow.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

These guys have the right idea. Those inline pressure reducers greatly reduce volume, just look inside it and see how small the holes is. I bought a home regulator and screwed hose ends onto it. It also had a gauge port that I put a pressure gauge in. It's adjustable too I set it at 45 lbs. there is a place online called rvwaterfilterstore.com that sells them already setup for RV's, they range from $25-$100. I'm not affiliated with them but they are only place I have found that sells them already set up for what we need as RV owners, there may be others though.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

This is the one I put together.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #7

Me too!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I think I would first get a better understanding the pressure at the RV. If the system is regulated at 55 psi, ow the devil are you seeing 75-80 at the coach? Are you at the bottom of a substantial hill with respect to the source?

But given that the 75 psi is accurate, the right answer is as above: get a decent quality "whole house" regulator from Watts, Wilkins, etc. (available at most hardware or home stores). Most of those will need adapters for hose thread fittings, but that's only a few dollars more.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
Me too!

I have the same regulator as you have. I'm not sure where to install it. If I install it after the hose reel then the hose is not regulated. If I install it before I either have to leave it outside by the pedestal with a short hose to connect it with ( subjected to theft) or run another higher pressure rated hose to my wet bay and make the connections in there ( kind of defeats the convenience of having a power reel).

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 06-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what we use. I think I paid $55 for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...sure+regulator

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I have the same regulator as you have. I'm not sure where to install it. If I install it after the hose reel then the hose is not regulated. If I install it before I either have to leave it outside by the pedestal with a short hose to connect it with ( subjected to theft) or run another higher pressure rated hose to my wet bay and make the connections in there ( kind of defeats the convenience of having a power reel).

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
I wouldn't worry too much about the hose, it's the interior plumbing you need to worry about.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #12

I once had a hose look like a snake that ate a large meal and spraying a pinhole size stream of water. I had mounted the regulator in the wet bay putting the hose at the mercy of the unknown pressure. I moved the regulator to the hose bib after that. Nobody has stolen my regulator since I've been rv'ing but I do wonder from time to time about my poor regulator left to fend for itself.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #13

Another mistake I see often is people using a 1/2 inch hose. That will make a significant reduction in volume versus. 5/8 inch hose. Combine the small hose and a cheap pressure regulator and low volume is almost guaranteed.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #14

I just replaced an old Valterra with a Watts 263. It seems to work well with better flow than the old one (just wouldn't adjust anymore). The link below had what I needed, and quick shipping.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/P...Regulators.htm

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure