Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

water pressure regulator

Two items:
1. I was looking in the forums at postings to find a good regulator and found a link to rvwaterfilters.com in one of them. They said ask, we'll respond so I did. I received a long detailed email back from Richard Dahl discussing several regulators, pros and cons of each which answered every question I had about pressure and flow. Very refreshing he took the time. As a result, he made a sale.

2. How many of you out there have one of the $70 Watts regulators and how comfortable are you putting it on the faucet side of your hose rather than in the bay?
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We have the Watts. Not comfortable with it on the CG faucet - too easy of a target to get stolen.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Agree.. just make sure you have a half way quality hose...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I would be worried I would leave on the CG faucet "not that I'am absent minded "....Watts is a big quality backflow device manufacturer, so their pressure regulator I'am sure is also quality. Is the outlet side pressure adjustable by a top nut like a pilot valve or is the presure preset? Either way one less worry,

Happy Adventures,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the big Watts regulator and using it for 7 or 8 years now and no one has bothered it..
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We use the Watts mounted on the inlet of an external water softener. When in camp, the softener sits outside but pushed behind the extend slide and a bit out of sight. This exposes the hose to CG pressure and me to someone walking off with $500 worth of equipment but... knock on wood.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've used Watts "whole house" regulator for 10 years now. Maybe i only go to "safe' places, but nobody has every made a grab for mine. Or my hoses or any other hook-up gear.

You can get a 3/4" Watts regulator for about $50 plus another $3 or so for hose thread adapters.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #8

I made my own, went to hardware store got an adjustable water reg. and fittings spent about $40 and works great. I don't worry about putting it
on the faucet seen water hoses blowen up like ballons in some camp grounds. If you are afraid of looseing it just tighten it with a wrench.

bbcb
bbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #9

I use the Watts regulator -- when I set up with the regulator on the CG faucet, it is tightened with a pair of pliers -- have not had a problem in 4 years of camping.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a watts...didnt pay 60 for it, lowes has em for under 40
plus the fittings

mine is in the wet bay
since this picture, i have added a whole house water filter at the inlet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water regulator4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	8598  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #11

I use the Watts regulator similar to the one pictured above (also bought mine at Lowes for under $40) when the CG does not have a regulator on their faucet. I put it on the outside faucet and have had no problems. Maybe I am lucky, but the campgrounds where we stay seem to have very honest people in them. On more than one occasion I have left a basement door open for a whole night and have not had any problems with anything missing.

In my experience I find RVers to be the most honest group of people you can find. The problems I hear about seem to be from outsiders looking for an opportunity to take what is not theirs. These people usually don't want a water pressure regulator.
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to watch which regulator you buy. There are the standard ones and the others have a lead-free bronze body. Since it is used for potable water, I went the Lead free model.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

You are always supposed to place on CG faucet prior to hose. Some CG have 120+ pressure and will blow the end of your hose off. Go to Amazon and read all of the bad reviews on the Pirit heated hose saying it sucks because the end blew off the expensive hose. Those people all have regulator on RV and not faucet and give Pirit hose a bad name lol.

Also, if your that concerned of it being stolen, drop a 5 gal bucket over it and the faucet. I have never had anything stolen at a CG myself. But I'm sure it happens.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #14

Think that you are more likely to have items walk off in area such as SP/COE/etc rather than commerical CG's where some debatable "campers" tend to inhabit. Only thing have ever 'lost" was set of TT hub caps in a CG that the hired host allowed his buddies to hold Saturday night Keg parties. The buddies had been kicked out of their home CG and this CG was closed not long after
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote