Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Water Pump and Tank Sensors inoperative

Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance you provide. I have a 1999 Monaco Executive RV. All systems were working fine, and then without warning seemingly the next day both my water pump and tank level sensors became inoperative. Checking my wiring diagram I noticed a lot of commonalities between them with regards to wiring, so I surmised a singular issue was to blame for their failure. Crawling into the plumbing bay, I noticed some water on the floor, that looked as though it came down from above. Upon closer inspection I discovered the Mpx Low Side 7 amp Latching Controller appeared somewhat corroded on the bottom where the connections are. I ordered a new part and installed it. (The new one is a 10 amp, but otherwise identical. I discovered newer water pumps require 10 amp service, so I figured that was fine) Alas, it did not solve my problem. I believe there is some corrosion on the inside of the four wires that connect to it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss for cleaning that. Should I try a wire brush? Contact cleaner? Cut them off and crimp new ends?

I will attach some photos. Any help will be much appreciated.
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 4-10-15 at 4.32 PM #2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	91054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 4-10-15 at 4.34 PM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	91055  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 4-10-15 at 4.34 PM #2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	91056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 4-10-15 at 4.33 PM.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	91057  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
water problem

Hello and welcome I dont know your system but from your post i have a fellein you have a ground issue. tank senders i have worked on are a ground side of the circuit and with no ground your pump will not operate. You can find both hot and ground in the light in your bay find a ground source (outside of the bulb holder ) and check to hot side of the pump , or have some one watch your monitor panel and touch a probe wire . hope you get it fixed

Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Thank you for your feedback. My first thought was a grounding issue as that would explain the simultaneous failure of the affected systems....but upon discovering the water pump control module I had hoped otherwise.

You confused me somewhat as to how I should go about finding the ground. The water pump is located in the belly of the RV while the holding tanks are on the outside. I do not readily have direct access to any of the holding tanks, not even through the exterior plumbing bay.

Thank you,
Shawn
Old 04-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are they both running off of the same 12 volt fuse ?

Take a meter and check for power at the pump first. Also the latching relay has to have power to work. To check it push one of the buttons that you use to turn on the water pump. Does the light come on and stay on. If it does you have 12 volt power and a ground to that point. The ground for the pump is sent from the latching relay to the pump.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Hmm, well oddly enough studying the wiring diagram I've yet to come across a fuse. It occurred to me the low quality of the wiring diagram I uploaded, I will scan it and get a better quality. I've not check continuity at the pump, but I will do that next. I do not get an lights when pressing the button to turn on the water pump, and yes they are all on the same 12V system.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingleo View Post

I believe there is some corrosion on the inside of the four wires that connect to it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss for cleaning that. Should I try a wire brush? Contact cleaner? Cut them off and crimp new ends?

I will attach some photos. Any help will be much appreciated.
Shawn
Shawn,

I would cut them off and crimp on new connectors. Whether that solves your water delivery issue or not let us know.

Have you verified that the 12 VDC fuses supplying voltage to the water pump system are good? You may have one in your main 12 VDC fuse panel and one in-line fuse near the water pump itself.

WRT the tank sensors I would also verify that the fuse supplying power to the sensor display panel is working correctly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Is your on off switch on a control panel with hot water heater too. If so like my old system that control panel controls the relays only and if you are not getting power to none then trace control panel wiring for ground and positive.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

It is not. Both my electric and propane hot water heaters are on separate circuits.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingleo View Post
Hmm, well oddly enough studying the wiring diagram I've yet to come across a fuse. It occurred to me the low quality of the wiring diagram I uploaded, I will scan it and get a better quality. I've not check continuity at the pump, but I will do that next. I do not get an lights when pressing the button to turn on the water pump, and yes they are all on the same 12V system.
If I read your typo correctly you do not get any lights when you turn on the pump. You are missing power from some where probably a blown 12 volt fuse. The lights are run off the controller you replaced and are seperate from the pump. You can check power at the controller you replaced but more than likely it will not have any. The switches to turn on the pump send a ground to the controller it should have 12 power to it all the time. There is a good chance that your lights indicator lights for the levels are run off the same fuse.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
There is a good chance that your lights indicator lights for the levels are run off the same fuse.
Yes, a very good chance -- I know that's the way it is on my coach.

The fuse is the first thing I would check, even if it's not shown on the diagram. There has to be one. On my coach, there is a bank of fuses in the back closet, and the water pump fuse is well marked.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water pump