Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water pump cycling for a second every minute when not hooked to city water

Hi everyone,
I have been reading about others issues with water pump cycling and I can yet find any water leak.
Question....If its my check valve on pump, will my pump only cycle to build back pressure when NOT hooked up to city water?

When not hooked to city water my pump cycles for a second every 47 seconds, but when I am hooked up to city water I dont have the pump cyclying. Also I noticed when the sink is running, the pump will slow and go back to normal speed and sound as does the water pressure.

I just noticed this and want to fix it but running out of trouble shooting thoughts. Does this sound like the check valve or?
Southwindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
check to be sure the fresh water valve for city water or tank fill is turned to 'city water'.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

I had the same symptoms and found a loose connection, with just a tiny drip, behind the outside shower.

I found it when I bought it and that explained the soft floor under the sink cabinet. It had been leaking for years.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

Pump doesn't cycle/run when connected to city water BECAUSE city water pressure is high enough that pump pressure switch doesn't close.
When connected to city water pump should NEVER run unless city water pressure should drop low enough to close pump pressure switch.
That is why it is not necessary to turn pump on when using city water.

Pump cycling every 47 seconds......that is due to a minor leak that is causing system pressure to drop low enough that pump pressure switch closes...pump starts...system pressure goes up---pressure switch opens/pump stops

*Could be city water inlet check valve....see if water is dripping from city water connection with pump running
*Could be water heater T&P Relief Valve weeping...check if it is dripping
*Could be minor leak at ANY of the plumbing line connections/fittings---hot or cold----difficult to find.
Place pieces of TP at fittings/hose clamps/connections and check for wetness. Toilet water supply line connection common...but could be any fitting/connection (back of water heater, pump discharge hose clamp, ANY 'T' etc)
*Could be pump internal check valve......but usually fresh water tank will increase in level when on city water if pump check valve is leaking

Water leak Scavenger Hunt.......OH goodie!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks...
Update...
I went to the RV yesterday and noticed the level of my fresh water tank is almost empty.
Now Im thinking because of that, there is a leak between the fresh water tank and the pump. Correct?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A leak between the pump and the tank generally doesn't cause loss from the tank unless at/near the fitting where it joins the tank, i.e. below the tank water level. When the pump runs, there is suction on that line, so air gets sucked in rather than water running out. If the pump is not running, the water in that line drains back into the tank.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

If your water heater becomes hard, or waterlogged, you can have these symptoms. In other words, there is not air bubble in the top of the tank, resulting in a hard system. Temperature changes will cause pressure changes that the pump will react to. Pump cycling that quick usually means a leak. As others have said, check the check valve at the city water hook-up. This will result in a fresh water tank level change. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwindman View Post
Thanks...
Update...
I went to the RV yesterday and noticed the level of my fresh water tank is almost empty.
Now Im thinking because of that, there is a leak between the fresh water tank and the pump. Correct?
No, a leak before the pump will not cause it to cycle on and off every minute.

The leak had to be after the pump. It develops pressure, holds it in all of the lines, keeping the pump from running.

A slight leak drops the pressure, causing the pump to develop it again.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone thought maybe the pump is old and it's just bypassing internally and loosing pressure?
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Has anyone thought maybe the pump is old and it's just bypassing internally and loosing pressure?
I think the OP mentioned that possibility in the first post. The OP should definitely hook the output of the pump up to a short capped hose/pvc. This will confirm if it's the pump or not.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

Turn it off when you're not using it -
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the great help. I havent sorted it out yet but will let you know what i find.
Thanks again for your time, advice, and knowledge.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Would that cause the holding tank to drop lwater level when just sitting?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #14

If you leave the pump on, and you have a small leak it will.

Tags
water, water pump