Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlvr1 View Post
not sure about your rig, mine has a valve that you open when filling the city water. If you do not turn it off after filling, the pump will continue to run.

X2.
The water pump comes on when it senses a drop in pressure. When connected to city water there should not be a drop in pressure sufficient to have the pump come on.
UNLESS, there is a valve open (or partially open) such as water fill, sewer rinse etc that causes a pressure drop. Before you get carried away replacing parts, look for the obvious.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have 7 amp controller ,can i use a 10 amp
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The 7 amp controller is no longer available.

Even if it was, I would still recommend the 10 amp controller just in case you decide to change out the water pump for an Aqua-Jet later on which requires the 10 amp controller. The Aqua-Jet RV water pump is a premium RV water pump that will give you years of trouble free service.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to note, even if the controller is bad the pump should not run as long as the shore water pressure is higher than the pump set pressure.

The RV park we are in now has pressure that varies from about 35 psi down to about18 psi depending on the number of people using water and the well tank pressure. I keep water in the tank and turn the pump on for showers and washing dishes. The pump will run until the pressure goes up and then shut off until it drops back low.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
not sure about your rig, mine has a valve that you open when filling the city water. If you do not turn it off after filling, the pump will continue to run.
My rig has the same setup. I have to turn the valve off to the pump. That would be the valve between the pump and the water tank.
iamcanuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The light is controlled by a switch, this switch also turns off power to the pump, Switch off, light off, pump off, You may have 2 or 3 switches (I have two) so up/down is meaningless on the switch, (Since it is dependent on the other switch) just now on my RV down is on on the main switch.. I need to fix that (By flipping the other switch).

City water is often a bit lower in pressure epically if you use a regulator.. (Where I'm at it often hits 100 PSI plus w/o regulator,, Oh, I'm in SC as well, Upstate area, Oconee County. )
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another possible failure mode obviously is that you push the switch and the pump does not come on. You can jumper power directly to the pump and make it work but if It were me. I would keep that controller as a spare when you get your new one. You have already found out that those usually have to be ordered does not seem like many shops have them in stock. If your new one should fail in the future it might be handy having a spare that you can just plug in and have the pump working.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post
So I removed the controller to get a new one, but was unable so I put the old controller back in and reconnected all the wires.

Here is how it is operating today:

When I turn the city water off the pump runs when a faucet is opened then the pump stops when I close the faucet.

When I turn the city water on and open a faucet the pump does not turn on.

I believe this is the correct operation for the water pump.
Also the light on the pump switch never goes off.

Can someone please confirm that all is good now.

Thanks
John
Yes...all sounds good. This is exactly how it's supposed to operate. Turning your water pump switch "ON" just means that if there's a drop in pressure on the OUTPUT side of the pump, it will start up. Doesn't matter if you're on city water or running from your tank. The light just indicates that the pump now has power, and will start up IF the pressure drops.
Some folks turn their pump off when on city water, as they feel they have enough pressure without it. I've been in some campgrounds that had pretty low pressure, so for showers, we would turn the pump on.

The only thing I'm not clear on is your pump light. If you turn the switch OFF, does the light stay on? My pump switches are all "push to make, push to break" rocker switches. Push any one of the three switches once, and the light on the switches come on, and there is power to the pump. Push the switch again, and the light goes off, and there is no power to the pump.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Mine does the same thing. I switch it to fill my tank and if i forget to switch back the pump will run.
senior-cit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #24

Here is how mine works:

I have a Swan valve in the wet bay that has 2 positions - City and Fill Tank. The valve is in City position unless I am actually filling the tank from the city/camp water supply.

There are 3 switches in the coach labeled Pump and each has a red indicator lamp. If you push any switch (while the light is off), the light will come on and, if the water pressure is low enough, the pump will start. The pump will go off when water pressure rises ... the light will stay on. Push the switch again and the light will go off and the pump will go off and stays off. This is how it works whether connected to city water or not.

When on city water, and the pump switch is on (red light is on) the pump will not start unless the city water pressure is below the pump's "start" pressure.

In mine, the 3 switches look like rocker switches but are really just non-latching push buttons. They just provide a signal to the controller to change it's state ... On to Off or Off to On. It's an expensive (but mostly effective) way of allowing multiple switches, in nearly any location, to control the water pump. If you only needed 1 switch (for example ... at the kitchen sink) you wouldn't need the controller.

The Swan filling valve is another example of something that is convenient but you don't really "need".
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Quote:
Same for the Bounder.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The new controller solved the problem. Thanks every one for your help on getting this resolved.

John
USMC
1981-1993
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
It sonds O.K. to me.
My water pump works the same way, You have to turn the switch on when you are drycamping if you want water.
If your hooked up to water then you do not have to turn on the water pump there for the light should be off.
Another thing when you are drying camping at night and if you happon to want to go to the bath room in the middle of the night if your pump is still on it will wake up your other half.
So be sure and leave it off because if you hear it come on now and then it will tell you that you have a leak somewhere.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump