Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Water pump kicking on when on city water

Im in south Carolina. It is getting down to 15 at nights.

I'm on shore water and the pump is kicking on when i open a value. The pump is turning off after i shut the value,but the light is staying on. It is like i can not turn the pump off. I believe usually when I'm on shore water The pump does not run and the light is off. The pressure regulator reads 40 lbs and the water pressure is good with or without the pump running when i open a facuet. If i had a leak the pump would cut on and off to get proper pressure,right. But it is not doing that. Any ideas

John
2000 fleetwood south wind
USMC
1981-1983
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #2

Not sure about your rig, but the pump in ours runs off of 12v regardless if it's hooked up to shore power or not since it uses the batteries. Ours is not automatic, we have a switch on a control panel to manually turn it on off. When switched on, it comes on as needed drawing water from the tank. If you are hooked on shore water then the pump needs to be turned off.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
That is one of the problems, the swithes have 3 of them do not turn the pump off. Mine are a rocker switch. I toggle them and the light stays on and pump runs when i open a fauset. When i close the fauset the pump stops and the light stays on. It seems like the switches will not turn off the pump as it once did.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #4

So turn the pump off. You should have a switch do to just that!!!!
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

It sounds like you have turned the switch to the pump off, but it still on. If so, you could have a bad switch that is stuck on. Can you pull the switch off and disconnect the wires behind it. Or, see if you can find the fuse for the pump and remove it.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post

That is one one the problems, the swithes have 3 of them do not turn the pump off. Mine are a rocker switch. I toggle them and the light stays on and pump runs when i open a fauset. When i close the fauset the pump stops and the light stays on. It seems like the switches will not turn off the pump as it once did.
If none of the switches will turn the lights and the water pump OFF, then chances are your Intellitec Latching Water Pump Controller is shot.

Look for something like in the photo I posted which should be somewhere close to the water pump.

There are four connections on the front, one of which is for the switches marked SW. The others are, +12 VDC, - 12 VDC and the last goes to the pump, marked LOAD. The Latching Controller is a negative type meaning that the it uses the 12 VDC negative to switch the pump motor On & Off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Images

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
The switches that would normally turn the pump off are not working. Right Now only way to turn off the pump from coming on when i open a fauset is to pull the fuse.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If none of the switches will turn the lights and the water pump OFF, then chances are your Intellitec Latching Water Pump Controller is shot.

Look for something like in the photo I posted which should be somewhere close to the water pump.

There are four connections on the front, one of which is for the switches marked SW. The others are, +12 VDC, - 12 VDC and the last goes to the pump, marked LOAD. The Latching Controller is a negative type meaning that the it uses the 12 VDC negative to switch the pump motor On & Off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Almost 100 per cent guaranteed to be the right answer. The only other remote possibility is one of the wires coming from the switch is grounded on the chassis somewhere. That is a very remote possibility and Richard has a suggestion that is by far most likely to be the problem. To verify that it is. Find the controller, ( look for the leads going to your pump and follow them if you can) pull the lead marked switch off. Turn on a faucet. If you pump comes on then the controller is bad if it does not come on then you probably have a grounded wire. LIke I said the odds are that it is bad controller. The easiest way to make sure your pump comes on is to turn off the city water faucet before turning on the faucet in your coach. If the water comes on and stays on then your pump is on. If it comes on for a second then dies out that was just residual pressure. Do not look at the light on the switch to see if the pump is on. You will have disabled that light when you removed the switch connection on the controller.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
not sure about your rig, mine has a valve that you open when filling the city water. If you do not turn it off after filling, the pump will continue to run.
rhlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #10

Wow it's nice the OP now has given us all the details. Now you have two really good answers form DR4film and Gimini5362.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
UPDATE: I believe resolved

So I removed the controller to get a new one, but was unable so I put the old controller back in and reconnected all the wires.

Here is how it is operating today:

When I turn the city water off the pump runs when a faucet is opened then the pump stops when I close the faucet.

When I turn the city water on and open a faucet the pump does not turn on.

I believe this is the correct operation for the water pump.
Also the light on the pump switch never goes off.

Can someone please confirm that all is good now.

Thanks
John
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not good. Light should go off.

Mike
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds to me like it's operating exactly like how you had explained in your previous posts, no difference.

Until you can purchase a 10 amp Intellitec Latching Controller, you only recourse is to pull the 12 VDC fuse for the water pump when you don't want the pump to be live.

You can order a new one here.

http://www.ltdrvparts.com/Controllers_c13.htm

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I did as suggested,pulled the switch wire from the controller and when i opened a fauset the pump comes on. So time to order a new controller.

John

Tags
water, water pump