Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #1

Water pump problem

Before: Turn off city water, relieve pressure, push one of the three pump rocker switches, green lights come on and pump pressures up the system. All is good.

Now: Turn off city water, relieve pressure, push one of the three pump rocker switches, green lights do not come on and pump does not start and pressure up the system. All is not good.

The fuse in the main box is good. I checked the 12v power to the pump: When the city water is hooked up, there is no power to the pump. When turned off and pressure relieved, there is 12v to the pump motor but it won't start.

Is there another relay or switch that could be preventing the motor from starting or do I have a bad pump motor?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a the pump if you have power to it but it wont turn..

I take it this is an 'On Demand' type pump, so check the pressure switch out first..

Also look for and 'thermal overload' reset buttons...

Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Sorry, the pump is an Aqua Jet ES, Model 5502 AV15-0668, 65 psi @3.5gpm. I have looked for in-line fuses and reset buttons without finding any. The literature says it will auto reset from thermal overload. And having exhausted all my knowledge of this problem, the pressure switch would be where???
Old 04-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If there is 12V to the pump motor terminals and it does not run with no pressure in the system, the pump is bad. Just make sure you check the ground is good.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

Green light not operating is one clue, it indicates no power to the light, and if the light is connected to the pump, then no power to pump.

If you have a control system of sorts, then the control system may be bad.

If green light connected to pressure switch indicating good pressure then could be pump.

need to see where the green light gets power, or troubleshoot the pump and work backwards towards the switch.

A quick search found this link for the pump.

Aquajet 5502-AV15-0668 RV Water Pump 3.5 GPD 55-AQUAJET-AES 12 VDC - FreshWaterSystems.com

It looks like there is a built in pressure switch which is common for this type of pump.

So here is your list of tasks.

1. Check for 12 VDC ACROSS the supply leads. If you lost your ground you will have +12 volts on both wires, no ground is no go.

2. Get a couple sharp pins and carefully insert them into the wires going into the switch at the front of the pump (opposite end from motor).

You should be able to see 12 VDC on both wires to ground.

If you only have 12 volts on one, then touch them together, pump should run, if it does then the switch inside is bad.

If you have 12 vdc to ground on both wires you will need to trace the wires to where they enter the motor, again insert pins in the wires where they enter the motor, but be careful to not let them touch, you should see 12 vdc across them.

If you see 12 vdc, then motor bad, if not, then wiring bad.

For bad motor tap the end of the motor with a wrench or anything else, sometimes the brush gets stuck, it may start.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

further review of the link indicates the pump is a "smart" pump, at the bottom is some links for troubleshooting as well as the general description that indicates the flow is controlled by demand, so it could still be a basic switch as "digital" is simple on and off states, so a simple pressure switch meets the "digital" parameter.

Digitally controlled "smart pump" which automatically adjusts its speed as required to maintain higher operating pressures across multiple water fixtures
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
Sorry, the pump is an Aqua Jet ES, Model 5502 AV15-0668, 65 psi @3.5gpm. I have looked for in-line fuses and reset buttons without finding any. The literature says it will auto reset from thermal overload. And having exhausted all my knowledge of this problem, the pressure switch would be where???
Pressure switch is where the wires go into the front housing.. Every one is a little different, but you should be able to pull it apart and look for something broke/burnt.

Troubleshooting: http://www.aquatec.com/sg_userfiles/IMI-125.pdf

Install Manual ES: http://www.aquatec.com/sg_userfiles/IMI-114.PDF

Install Manual OES: http://www.aquatec.com/sg_userfiles/IMI152b.pdf
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #8

Those 3 pump rocker switches control an Intellitec monoplex (multi-switch) controller. No green light might indicate a fault in that setup - not the pump itself. Of course, try hot wiring the pump directly with 12v and see if it starts to be sure. Debug info below....

10amp controller http://intellitec.com/PDF/5300145.000.pdf
15 amp controller http://intellitec.com/PDF/5300776.100.pdf

Here's some general debug info Water Pump Troubleshooting

And the (10amp) controller you are looking for looks like the following is probably right near the pump.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #9

Ok, put the pins in and 12v on ground on both going into the switch and then 12v out of switch to motor. If I have done it correctly, there should be power into and out of the switch to the motor. RE: post by ottffss re Intellitec controller, I have the 15 amp with 12v to the controller. Next step in a.m. is to hot wire the pump and go from there. Thanks for all the replies--I just wish I knew more about electricity.

Tags
water