Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

If the pump is bad, What the best replacement pump for my RV?

This one is a 2.8 GPM pump. Can I buy a higher volume pump ( maybe a 3.5 GPM pump) and replace this one without having to change anything else out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #16

These pumps are self priming but will not pull water up very well, they are usually plumbed lower than the tank. Have you checked supply hose for kinks? If you disconnect supply hose you should have flow from tank. There may be a screen on the inlet side of pump that could be plugged. If water is flowing to the pump and you still have low pressure I would start looking at the pump for problems. Not a bad idea to carry an extra pump especially if you dry camp happy wife equals happy life.
Let us know what you find.
Elmer
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #17

Before you replace the pump or pull it out check for a screen filter on the suction (inlet) side of the pump. If this screen get ps plugged, the pump will run constantly and provide little or no flow. This happened to me and I had the same symptoms you described. I cleaned the screen reinstalled and was good to go. Saved $$ not buying a new pump.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Also check all water lines before pump from the tank to the pump if there's a crack in a line or a fitting that's not tight you will suck air and pump will never reach full potential. Check the inlet side of pump and make sure the fitting is in place and secured. A crack or loose line would be my guess. Find the problem before just going to a larger pump. Good luck.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #19

I don't see a screen on mine? Here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump3.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	55717  
Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #20

May or may not be a screen it would be inside the fitting that screws onto the pump. Usually cracked diaphrams will leak this still sounds like it is starving for water like a valve is open that should be closed somewhere.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #21

Does this have a hose for winterizing make sure it is turned to the right position.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #22

You have an open valve on the suction or discharge side of the pump.
The pump shuts off when it achieves a set pressure. It cannot get to this pressure if there is a valve open to atmosphere. Such as the external pick up for winterizing. Nothing wrong with the pump. It's only doing its job based on what is open and closed.
Take your time to follow the Suction and Discharge lines that allow water into and out of the pump. The suction side needs to see a SOLE connection to a water supply. That can be either the water tank or the winterize tube. But it cannot be both.
On the discharge side, it needs to see a CLOSED line to build up pressure against. If you have an open valve such as your water Tank Fill, Sewer Rinse, etc, the pump cannot build up pressure so it can stop.
Take your time and follow the system. Not that hard to understand once you look close at where the lines go.
Good Luck,,,
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #23

It appears to me according to your picture that the fill and use valves should be changed when using your pump. Did you try that position.
tbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2000 View Post
It appears to me according to your picture that the fill and use valves should be changed when using your pump. Did you try that position.
have exact same valve set up its right the way it is in pic
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a hole in the diaphragm on the pump, put a new rubber diaphragm in it and it works fine. Also bought an extra pump in case it happens when we're on a trip, keeping a spare may sound crazy but no water on the road can wreck your fun.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nothing wrong with carrying a spare. You might also want to throw in a spare diaphragm, a few extra hose fittings, some garden hose washers, crimp connectors and a crimp tool, wire cutters and strippers ... you get the idea.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your setup have City water/tank fill valve? if so then switch is set to city not tank fill.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Just wanted to clarify something first, I have a on/off switch for the water pump. The pump runs all the time when I turn it on. It doesn't ran when the switch is in the off position.

When I turn the switch on the pump runs and I can get water at all the faucets. But I don't get very much water pressure. It hardly even comes out of the shower head.

I opened all the faucets and ran the pump for about 5 mins. to try and see if there was any air in the lines. But still get them same results. Pump runs continually and hardly any water pressure.

No leaks under the coach, or inside anywhere.

The valves are in the position shown in the pictures (Which is suppose to be correct). See pictures
It appears from your picture the operation valve for fill needs to be closed for the water pump to be able to build pressure. I would try closing this valve and determine if that works? Good luck.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump