Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Water Softener

I bought a Travelsoft RV1200 off e-bay. Does any member have this type of softener. I would like to know what type of salt and what brand you use and how do you get the salt in the unit. We have a home softener with a brine tank that we put the salt in but the size we use for that looks to large for the RV1200. Thank you for the help.
bounder-andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder-andy View Post
I bought a Travelsoft RV1200 off e-bay. Does any member have this type of softener. I would like to know what type of salt and what brand you use and how do you get the salt in the unit. We have a home softener with a brine tank that we put the salt in but the size we use for that looks to large for the RV1200. Thank you for the help.
See if this website has the info.

On The Go - Portable Water Softener
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It's been awhile since I used mine but as I remember you use rock salt and not the granules. Here is a link to a vendor who sells the Travelsoft.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've owned and used the TravelSoft RV200 water softener since 2003. It uses normal water softener salt crystals that usually come in 40-50 lb. bags. Try to buy the smallest crystals you can find as the opening in the top side is where the salt is put in. I use a funnel and it will take about three one lb. coffee cans of salt to recharge the softener. When the charge has run out, then backwash for 5-10 minutes and recharge with another round of salt. Depending on how much water you typically would use, it can last any where's from 4-5 days to a couple of weeks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Looking for a water softener for my motor home I found the Travel Soft for $299.99, the ON The Go for $279.51, and A Plus Water Treatment (which seems to look exactly like the other two) for $199.99.

Has anyone ever used the A Plus Water Treatment? Pictures and descriptions sound very similar to the Travel Soft but $100 cheaper.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Can't seem to locate the A Plus Water Treatment unit with Google search, however, the big difference between the On The GO and the TravelSoft is normal table salt purchased from your local food store is used for the smaller On The GO unit. Normal water softener rock salt found in 50 lb. bags is used in the TravelSoft.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am also in the market for a water softner and after searching the forum I found that a few members purchased the Mark 8000 and seem to be happy with it. Please let us know which one you purchase.

Flow Pur: Mark 8000
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have used the Travelsoft for quite a few years. We use a salt called Solar Salt, small rock salt available at Home depot and others. You turn the top lever to back flush, and run water out that outlet for a short time. Remove the large hex cap on the top and drain the softener at the petcock at the bottom to make room for the salt. Add the salt in the top until full, usually 8 cups. Close petcock and top hex cap, Turn top valve to soften position and run water out the hose onto the ground until the salt taste is gone. This ionizes the particles inside the way I understand. Then hook up to rig. It is well worth having, water in many areas, city or not, is really hard and will leave deposits on Toilet seal and ruin it quickly.
Hope this may help Happy Trails Bert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

You might want to consider a whole house RO system instead of a softener. They cost a few dollars more but does not require continuous regenerating. Also results in better tasting water.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If your going to store the rock salt be sure to put it in an air tight container as salt attracts moisture and can result in a very damp storage bay.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
You might want to consider a whole house RO system instead of a softener. They cost a few dollars more but does not require continuous regenerating. Also results in better tasting water.

Jim E
The plumbing for a water softener would be a nightmare otherwise you would end up drinking softened water which is not wise,while a whole house RO system would be huge and not very practical for an RV application.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Can't seem to locate the A Plus Water Treatment unit with Google search, however, the big difference between the On The GO and the TravelSoft is normal table salt purchased from your local food store is used for the smaller On The GO unit. Normal water softener rock salt found in 50 lb. bags is used in the TravelSoft.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
The A Plus Water Treatment can be found at: apluswater.net/portable_nonelectric_water_soft

Sorry I don't know how to do the neat clickable links so many Posters use.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The A Plus Water Treatment can be found at: apluswater.net/portable_nonelectric_water_soft

Sorry I don't know how to do the neat clickable links so many Posters use.

Wagonmaster2

PORTABLE NON-ELECTRIC WATER SOFTENERS
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
isa

Triple E Owners Club
I have used a Travelsoft 1200 water softener for 6 years. It uses solar salt crystals from Morton's. Comes in a 40 lb. bag and costs about $5.00 incl. tax.
Here in Yuma, AZ I recharge it every 7 days.

We usually buy it at Walmart, but have seen it at Albertson's and Home Depot.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote