Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Water Softener Size

I am in the process of buying a RV portable water softener and not sure about the size I should go with.

What I can find on Amazon or Camping World there are two size.

I don't mind to pay the extra for the bigger one but what are the pros and cons.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The only real advantage to the larger one is it can go longer (more water processed) than the smaller one before needing a recharge. Maybe a slight advantage in throughput, but probably not. Downside is storage space. Figure out where you're going to put it for travel first.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

I bought what I thought was an appropriate size, but has proven to be to too large. It's stated to provide up to 5000 gallons before recharge. I used it for our 3 month Florida stay during last winter and never had to recharge it. If I were to do it all over again, it would be one suitable for 1000 gallons. The smaller one would be less weight, smaller sized and more easily stored.

Dan
Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Take a peek at the RV-Pro 10,000; a 10,000 grain softener. It is not overly large, easily fitting in a Newmar storage bay and works great!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anyone tried magnets?
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/SoftenersMineral.htm
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

We did a larger size as well and now that we have had it a while would probably been as well off with the smaller size. To my surprise bigger isn't always better LOL!!
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Cat

How do you know it's too large? It depends where you stay and how hard the water is there how soon it needs to be regenerated. In Tucson you need a large water softener otherwise you have to regenerate every week or more.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
There have been threads concerning this type of product in the past.
I did some research and I am convinced it's snake oil. I checked some of the sources listed on some web sites selling them and found them either anecdotal, false, or non-existent. One university study cited as supporting their claims actually said the product didn't work.

In addition the following info can be seen at this Site.

"The Consumer Reports in 1996 tested an over $500 magnet water treatment device. Two water heaters, over a two-year period, had over 10,000 gallons treated. One was "treated" with the magnetic treatment and one was not. The water heaters were cut open, and the tanks were found to contain the same quantity and texture of scale. There was no difference according to Consumers Reports.
Note: Those who claim any product will solve all water problems used to be called a "snake oil salesman." You, the consumer, must do your homework ... and "buyer beware." We repeat ... we have NOT actually seen physical evidence, "proof," that any brand of magnetic water conditioner works."

And here

Tests of nonchemical scale control devices in a once-through system. G.J.C. Limpert and J.L. Raber. Materials Performance, Vol. 24, No. 10, 40-45, (1985), Oct.

The abstract of this 10-year study at the 3M Corporation reads as follows:

"Experiments were conducted in a test heat exchanger system to evaluate 10 nonchemical scale and corrosion control devices. These devices may perform either by electrostatic, magnetic, electronic, or catalytic mechanisms. Chemical tests also compared results with non-chemical systems to insure the test conditions were not so severe that scale prevention was impossible. Water from a single deep well known to cause calcium carbonate scale when heated was used in all tests. The test heat exchanger was a two-tube shell and tube with steam applied to the shell side. Water flow was either in series or parallel through the two tubes,depending on the desired test conditions. No device tested significantly reduced the amount of scale formed, compared to the controls. Proprietary chemicals containing phosphorous reduced scale formation almost completely."

An internal report (PDF format) (SciTech Connect:) by a group of engineers at the U.S. Dept of Energy's Lawrence Livermore Laboratory describes a carefully-done series of experiments that failed to reveal any beneficial effects of MWT at one of their water treatment facilities.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a Mark 8000 softener which is an 8000 grain unit.
In CO where we are now with 20 grains per gallon hardness water it will last about a month. We use about 13 gallons of water a day. Both the amount of water used and the hardness determine how long the softener will last between recharges.

Ads talking about 10000 gallons or the like are just advertising ballyhoo and are meaningless.

In AZ where we spend the winter the water hardness is over 50 GPG and we have to recharge every 10 days or so.

I would get the highest grains per gallon softener you can store. I have mine set up with quick disconnects and it sits under the motor home when in use. While moving down the road I connect the output to the input with a short hose normally used to connect the output to the motor home and put it in the toad trunk.

I have the FloPure Mark 8000.
Cost is $240 and includes shipping. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a reminder, if your on a low sodium diet, don't drink the water from the softener.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The harder the water and the more water that you use, the larger the softener needs to be otherwise you will be re-charging the softener very often.

Some of the places we stay I can go one month whereas other places I can only go for only two weeks or less.

Buy what you can carry and afford.

Then use the water test strips for determining how hard the water is and they will also tell you how often you will need to re-charge.

I've been using the TravelSoft RV-1200 for about 10 years now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Clay L - thanks for the info. Until now - I had not researched magnets - and not thought of rvwaterfilterstore.com as snake oil salesmen. Live and learn I guess.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Clay L - thanks for the info. Until now - I had not researched magnets - and not thought of rvwaterfilterstore.com as snake oil salesmen. Live and learn I guess.
Me either. He is usually a pretty sensible guy. His recommendation is based on a few month "test" where someone had one and he didn't and they compared scale on shower heads or something. Anecdotal reports like that with no controls are what perpetuate all sorts of crap sold to the public.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L

Me either. He is usually a pretty sensible guy. His recommendation is based on a few month "test" where someone had one and he didn't and they compared scale on shower heads or something. Anecdotal reports like that with no controls are what perpetuate all sorts of crap sold to the public.
You'll get no argument from on either point!

Tags
water