Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Are these water softeners plumbed into the coach or are they the type that are hooked up to your incoming water hose?
I believe most are hooked up to the incoming water hose although, I believe someone stated that they had theirs plumbed into their coach.

In our own case, our water passes through the water softener and then through a 3 stage water filter system before entering the coach.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
I believe most are hooked up to the incoming water hose although, I believe someone stated that they had theirs plumbed into their coach.

In our own case, our water passes through the water softener and then through a 3 stage water filter system before entering the coach.
Is there a reason that you filter water after softener? My 2 filter setup has filters before softener.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Is there a reason that you filter water after softener? My 2 filter setup has filters before softener.
Ron, I just read your question and had a "Duh!" moment. I really don't remember if there was a reason or not. I only know that is the way I've set it up ever since we got it. Let me check it out and get back to you.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
My guess is that most people, including me, do it this way because it's easier when the rig has a hard plumbed filter. With an external/hose bib filter I would think filtering before softening might be a little better but probably not a big deal one way or the other.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
My guess is that most people, including me, do it this way because it's easier when the rig has a hard plumbed filter. With an external/hose bib filter I would think filtering before softening might be a little better but probably not a big deal one way or the other.

Rick
Ok, I emailed this question to Rick Dahl of RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and this was his response.

Quote:
It is not essential to do that, but the advantage would be if you ever get in some heavy dirt or even rust, the filters could get a lot of that out and the softener media could remain cleaner. If it is not inconvenient to use filters first, it would be some advantage. Most minor sediment will flush right on through the softener, although rust can get caught on the media and make it work less efficiently. The main thing we try to emphasize is keeping the filters out of the sun. So, if you move the filters, try and arrange for a way to keep them shaded or covered. The plastic will degrade over some years and get dry and brittle.
So if anyone wants me, I'l be outdoors rearranging the sequence of my softener and my filter setup.

Thanks for asking Ron, up until now I had never given it much thought and today I learned something new.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #20

I happily use the Mark 8000 by Flo Pur
Boots13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
I use a whole house filter before the softener and also a filter washer on the water hose. we were at a state park and I was filling up the water tank when the water stopped coming out- checked the filter washer and it was plugged up with plumbers pipe dope - I had even let the hose run before I hooked it up to the camper!
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the filter before the softener. They are both fitted with quick connects. The filter is in the service bay compartment with the hoses going out to the softener and the incoming water.
The softener has to sit upright according to the manufacturer and I don't have space for it in the compartment.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #23

Question since I have no experience with an RV water softener. Is there any way to utilize a water softener in an RV and bypass the drinking outlets so as to avoid the increase in sodium?
Thanks
JT
tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
this is from the "on the go " website - we generally take water from the house in 1 gallon jugs - we have the best well water
On The Go® | Portable Water Softeners
How Much Sodium is Added to Water?

That depends on the hardness of the original water. This table shows the additional amount of sodium consumed by drinking one quart of softened water. Initial Hardness Sodium Added 1.0 grains per gallon 7.5 milligrams/quart 5.0 grains per gallon 37.5 milligrams/quart 10.0 grains per gallon 75.0 milligrams/quart 20.0 grains per gallon 150.0 milligrams/quart 40.0 grains per gallon 300.0 milligrams/quart As a comparison, one slice of white bread has 161 milligrams of sodium; 3/4 cup of canned baked beans = 1130 milligrams; 1 tablespoon of catsup = 204 milligrams; 1 medium frankfurter = 610 milligrams; and 1 cup of whole milk = 127 milligrams. Even a common Alka Seltzer tablet contains 532 milligrams of sodium. However, if you suffer from hypertension or are on a sodium restricted diet, you should consult your doctor about the proper water for drinking.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post

So if anyone wants me, I'l be outdoors rearranging the sequence of my softener and my filter setup.

Thanks for asking Ron, up until now I had never given it much thought and today I learned something new.
I thought I would ask in case I had missed something. My filters are 20 micron then a 5 micron before softener. When at our winter location in Mcallen, TX my On the Go needs recharge every 2 weeks. I have never used test strips. But probably should. I let my skin tell me that it's time to recharge. I may be to cheap to spend money on the test strips.

Tags
water