Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
water softeners

Im sure this subject has been posted before, what are you using for a portable softener

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

On the Go, water softener. 7 yrs old and works perfectly. Water heater, sinks, showers all look like new

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

hope some people comment on it, my wife has been asking me about that quite often..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

We have an "On The Go" water softener. Easy to recharge and works well. I have it mounted in the compartment next to the wet bay, used heavy duty Velcro straps. Drilled holes between the compartment for the output and input lines. The softener remains connected all of the time. When traveling I just pull the supply hose back into the softener commitment and thats is. When connecting up, just pull the hose out and done.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Flow-Pur RV-PRO 10,000 and it works perfectly. Very easy to recharge and uses table salt.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

We've had an On the Go for quite a few years now but don't use it as often as we did when we first bought it.

Has anybody else found that it only produces "really" soft water for a very short period of time? We found we had to regenerate every two days or so for really soft water. Now we use it only when filling our holding tank when we are about to leave from a location that we know has really hard water.

And, another reason we don't use it as often is that we have not only observed but talked to many full-timers living in the desert southwest where the water is really hard and not many of them use softeners and when we first started spending a lot of time in the desert in an RV, looked at us like we were nuts when we told them we were using a softener.

Last year, we didn't use the softener hardly at all when spending most of the winter in the desert and didn't find too much difference. Even the Splendide washer performed adequately. We noticed a little bit of white build-up around the faucets but quickly cleaned weekly with vinegar. We doubled filtered the incoming water and actually drank it (never thought we'd be actually drinking tap water in the desert).

So we're ambivalent in our feelings toward the portable softeners. When we had a stick built home in the desert, it had a softener and if we were ever to have a house again, I'm sure we get another. However, in the RV, we're not completely sure just how beneficial they are. That's just us, though.

-harry
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
We've had an On the Go for quite a few years now but don't use it as often as we did when we first bought it.

Has anybody else found that it only produces "really" soft water for a very short period of time? We found we had to regenerate every two days or so for really soft water. Now we use it only when filling our holding tank when we are about to leave from a location that we know has really hard water.

And, another reason we don't use it as often is that we have not only observed but talked to many full-timers living in the desert southwest where the water is really hard and not many of them use softeners and when we first started spending a lot of time in the desert in an RV, looked at us like we were nuts when we told them we were using a softener.

Last year, we didn't use the softener hardly at all when spending most of the winter in the desert and didn't find too much difference. Even the Splendide washer performed adequately. We noticed a little bit of white build-up around the faucets but quickly cleaned weekly with vinegar. We doubled filtered the incoming water and actually drank it (never thought we'd be actually drinking tap water in the desert).

So we're ambivalent in our feelings toward the portable softeners. When we had a stick built home in the desert, it had a softener and if we were ever to have a house again, I'm sure we get another. However, in the RV, we're not completely sure just how beneficial they are. That's just us, though.

-harry
You have hit it, Harry! At least as far as I am concerned.
Soft water. I have never been able to figure out the reason why the water with good minerals and such is avoided.
Yes, I used to drink out of the garden hose!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

You have hit it, Harry! At least as far as I am concerned.
Soft water. I have never been able to figure out the reason why the water with good minerals and such is avoided.
Yes, I used to drink out of the garden hose!
But I do have a standard whole house filter. Dont want sediment in my ice. ;-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a WaterPur Mark800 water softener sold by the Flow Pur company while are here in Bouse AZ where we have spent all or part of the winter for the last ten full timing years. The water here is very hard - at least 50 grains per gallon. I say at least because that is as high as my test strips can measure.

We use about 13 gallons of water per day and have to regenerate it about every nine days or so.
We had a lot of white mineral build up on the pipe walls and faucet diffusers and that has cleared up now.

In CO where we spend part of the summer the water has 20 grains per gallon of hardness which is considered pretty hard so we use the softener when we are there. We have to regenerate about once a month there.

Last summer we bought a house in CO and will have a whole house softener installed in it.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #10

I have tried the portables, but before leaving for FL this winter, I did a permanent installation of a WaterBoss Pro 180 http://www.waterbosspro.com/waterbosspro-180.php and it has been great. Installation included by-pass valves to completely by-pass it if needed and have it setup to fill water tank too so that water is soft. Actually took up little room in a forward bay and was well worth a simple install. Regeneration is automatic and drains through grey water tank, so no separate drain is needed. Uses little salt. Approx. 50# in 90 days.

Tags
water