Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

water softeners

Thinking of purchasing one.Any suggestions or experience with any would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When I asked the same question several months ago about the only pertinent point that was mentioned was that it takes lots of "flushing" water to make the soft water. Where does it go? Might be something to check on as we all have limited dirty water storage and may limit use to "full hook ups" only.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've had a water softener for my coach for two years and it's been excellent. It doesn't take any "flushing water" whatever that is to operate. Mine will do approximately 800 gallons of soft water if the source isn't extremely hard. I regenerate mine with 1 lb of salt that takes about an hour. This is probably where the flushing water comes in because you have to flush the salt out. This takes me about 3 minutes if I have decent water pressure. I would highly recommend not purchasing a cheap unit as I've heard they aren't too effective. I have the Mark 8000 and I would recommend it.

The Flow Pur Company - water filtration systems for the marine and recreationa
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

I did the same kind of survey on another forum and the overwhelming number of recommendations was for the ON the Go model. Simple to connect and store. Available from Camping World. That's the device I purchased and thus far am happy with it.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #5

I have the "On-the-go" water softner and have been using it about a year now. I love it and regen is easy and operating costs are minimal as it uses ordinary table salt...like Mortons. I installed a GE brand whole house water filter in my rig and this is in front of the water softner.

Regen takes about 20 minutes and uses a one-pound box of table salt. Regen takes 15 to 20 minutes. Back flushing is required after about 4 regens and takes another 10 minutes or so. During regen the water is run at a trickle, or a water stream about the size of a pencil. I catch the flushed water in a 4 gallon car washing bucket and the regen stream will fill the bucket in the 20 minutes. My experience from the past year is regen takes about 4 gallons of water. After running the regen at a trickle for 15 to 20 minutes then the water is turned on a full force for about 2 minutes to flush the system. This is done until there is no salt taste in the water and this takes about 4 more gallons of water. So, regen takes less water than most 5 minute showers.

We full time and I know I use about 100 gallons of water between holding tank dumps. So, every time I dump the tanks I also use a water hardness test strip on the softened water to determine if the softner needs to be regen'd. From experience I know this softner unit will run about 300-700 gallons between regen periods which matches the manufactuors claims. The amount depends on the hardness of the water at the current camp ground. In the Iron filled hard waters of northern Minn the unit needs to be regen'd after about 300 gallons. In southern states the unit will soften upwards of 700 to 800 gallons between regens.

Also in areas where iron is heavy in the water, like Minnesota, I add a product called "iron out" during the regen cycle. This stuff is available at Walmart, fleet farm, or most hardware stores. This Iron out stuff helps dispense, or dislodge, the collected iron from the softner beads during regen and can be used for other stain removal issues.

Bottom line, I'm very happy with the On-the-go unit. Regen is very easy to accomplish and there are no "moving parts" to break. The On-the-go can be purchased at most RV stores and I found the prices at many stores are more competitive than the big nation wide camping store.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
I have a Travel Soft portable unit for 3 years now and love it. We do alot of dry camping and I fill my fresh water tank prior to leaving. When we stay at a r/v park I leave it hooked up from the faucet to the m/h. It's easy to recharge the unit, and the best of all your bod feels really great after you shower and easy clean-up in the shower, no hard water spots.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also will be getting a water softener. Looking in the Camping Wworld flyer there are two types. On the Go and a Flow-Pur. Has anyone had any experience with the Flow-Pur?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

We have an On The Go softener that works very well for us. We purchased ours at Camping World but here is a website PORTABLE NON-ELECTRIC WATER SOFTENERS that has the same thing for about $100 less. You might want to give them a try.
Martind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought a Softcell (www.softcellwater.com) to replace my On-the-go that died after 1 yr. It blew apart from the water pressure, even though the pressure was below its rating. The Softcell last longer between cycles and is better built, in my opionion.

They are good to deal with and I like it.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote