Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #1

water system simply stopped, no clue

Hello and Thank anyone and everyone who might be able to shine some light of this issue.
we are in a RV Park resort and I have the water connected as normal, it's worked about a week just fine, then tonight, out of the blue the water stopped., no water in the kitchen,bath,shower. no where, I checked and the hose is still turned on and working as I unhooked it and it ran fine, I can use the water pump to get water, but just not from the hose. I've looked under the rig and have not seen any water dripping or any wet area. what could stop all water flow to all parts of my rig, and yet allow it from my pump ?
once again, I thank all of you for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your external water hookup has a back flow valve right at the connection point. It normally prevents water from shooting back out of the hose connection when you disconnect and run the water pump. It probably has stuck closed and won't let water pass in either direction.

Disconnect the hose and check for an obstruction at that point. If nothing is obvious, poke something down into the hose connection and free up the valve.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Check the screen at the connector where you connect your hose, also the rubber washer. Worst case hook up a compresser and open the nearest faucet to see if air will blow in.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most likely a pressure regulator has gone bad. Do you have one before or after your hose connection? 3" long brass looking goodie.

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

would this Back flow be near the water pump ? I know I do not have on at the Hose.
if near the pump where would I find it.
Thank you very much,
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

would this pressure regulator be inside the rig ? all I have from the water valve outside is a water filter connected to my hose then connected to the rig. or would it be near the pump ? or water heater ?
Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #7

I do not have a back flow valve, I had one but it broke and I haven't gotten another one yet. all I have is the Hose/filter and then it connects to the rig.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
paz

Disconnect the water hose from the RV. When you turn on the water at the pedestal, does water come out the hose? If it does, then the problem is in the RV.

With the hose disconnected, turn on the water pump. If water comes out the connector on the RV, then the check valve is the most likely culprit.

The check valve is located behind the connector where the hose connects to the rig. The check valve keeps water from flowing back out the connector when no hose is attached and you're running off the pump. If the little plastic plunger inside the check valved comes apart, it can block the water inlet. Some of these valves are repairable (up to a point), and some are not; but they only cost $15-20 so they are easier to replace than to repair.

If it's not the check valve, then you'll have to look further. Do you have an on-board water filter? If so, it may be clogged with sediment. There is also a small plastic bowl with a screen in it just before the bump. That can clog.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesme2 View Post
I do not have a back flow valve, I had one but it broke and I haven't gotten another one yet. all I have is the Hose/filter and then it connects to the rig.
Thanks
You said all I have is a hose/filter. If you have a filter inline, remove it and see if that solves the problem. The filter could be clogged and may need to be repalced.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #10

Mercedesme2,

One thing to add to the good post by Paz, is to check your bypass lever. Most rigs have a lever to throw that will fill the fresh water tank from the shore connection vs. the direct fill. Sometimes it gets bumped by accident, this will let air into the water system where it does not belong.

Bob
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #11

OK, I looked at everyone's suggestions and studied them all, however I left the hose off during the night and just used my on board water tank and used my water pump to get water during the night.

one thing I did check yesterday was that I unhooked the hose and turned it on and it ran good and strong, so I know my filter is ok.

so this am I went outside and reconnected the hose just for the heck of it, and guess what, it worked. and with out the pump, it worked as normal. so does that mean I some how got a air bubble somewhere that caused the blockage.

where the hose connects is just a elbow/swivel connection that goes up into the RV, I didn't see any back flow parts there, would it be higher in the rig ? or would it be over by the pump motor.

Thank you all again for you suggestions, it's working again, but I'm still on the hunt as to why.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesme2 View Post
would this Back flow be near the water pump ? I know I do not have on at the Hose.
if near the pump where would I find it.
Thank you very much,
The backflow valve is usually incorporated into your fresh water inlet - a typical inlet looks like this: Valterra Products - Water Inlet 2 3/4" - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World - it may be a flush mount rather than the one pictured, but the valve is right behind the screen where you attach the hose.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #13

now that the water is working, it seems like it has a whole lot more power.
the area I connect the hose to has a elbow that can swing back and fourth, from there it goes up into the rig and I can not see past that. this is under the same door that has the sewer hose and grey/black gates.
is this something I should take into a shop and have them look it over, or because it's working should I save my money and just keep going ?
Once again,
I Thank all of you who have offered some help and advise.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would check my filter again and see if it is blocked. It may have been there too long.