Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

water tank fill valve

I have a question about the City water fill valve. We have the Swan Industries quik-water fill valve in our 97 Holiday Rambler.

The first time we used our RV, I hooked up the city water fill hose, turned on the water, and went to the swimming pool with the kids. Came back 2 hours later and our RV was flooded. The grey water tank filled up and came into the RV thru the shower drain. Black water tank valve was open but I left the grey water closed.

I thought these valve had a check valve in them or something to stop the water from over flowing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

There is no way that the water fill should have filled your grey tank.

Something is set up wrong.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If I had to take a guess here on what you posted someone had left a sink running. The only way your gray tank can fill is through your sinks and tub.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Both the sinks faucet were off. Don't know about the shower? The shower was full and overflowing in the bathroom. I ran around and pulled the grey water valve and the water started to drain. I also turned the campground water hose off at the same time. It could have been the shower, but we had never even been inside the shower before this.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The nice feature of RV'S with bathtubs is a person has a lot of forewarning of the gray tank being full(tub starts to fill up). But if no one is around to see it...........
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The Swan valve on my coach is to select either the gray or black tank flushout. It has a quick connect on it and I quickly found lout the tank labeling was backwards.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe that Rv Wizard got it. You were flushing out your tanks with the dump valve closed.. Lots to learn on the RV, for all of us.. Find someone to go over the operation of your valve set up. Some owners shut off the water every time they leave the RV.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Picture of my valves. I have a black water tank flush out inlet and then i have the Swan valve which says City Water or Fresh Water tank on it

Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

At the time, I had the campground water hose hooked up to the Swan valve "City Water" inlet, not the black water flush out like in the pictures. Somehow water filled the RV? I guess the shower faucet could have been turned on? But I don't know?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinFamily View Post
At the time, I had the campground water hose hooked up to the Swan valve "City Water" inlet, not the black water flush out like in the pictures. Somehow water filled the RV? I guess the shower faucet could have been turned on? But I don't know?
Unless someone has done some replumbing (wrong) that's the only logical answer.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

Water tank fill valve

It is quite obvious that you hooked up to your santi-flush system and filled up your gray tank by mistake. Be glad you did not have this happen with the black holding tank. You would still be cleaning up CRAP!

Also noted that you had the gray valve closed and your BLACK tank open.
That's a NO NO. It is fine to leave the gray valve open, but your black needs to stay closed until you are ready to dump it. If you keep your black tank open, your neighbor is not going to apprecieate the odors that permeate from your rig. In addition, if you don't keep liquid in the blank tank, you will eventually build a pyramid made out of you know what in the tank.

Ron
08 AT/40Z
acamouse.04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water