Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Damon Owners Club
Watkins Glen NASCAR

Has anyone camped there in a 40' MH, and if so what
were the conditions ? I've read there are no
hookups. Do any NASCAR tracks have a decent
camping area with hookups ?

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
I can only comment on Michigan, Graves farm has 30 amp and turn 2 retreat has fhu. I reserved a spot in Graves for the June race and was concerned about getting a larger class A in there but the nice fella that runs the camping up there said not to worry if I can't back it in he will do it for me.

1997 Country Coach Intrigue Horizon 36' (The Dinosaur Burner)
92TNTRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
I have been there twice, for INDY cars. The inside field is very thick grass and as long as it is dry, no problem. But if it has been raining alot then everything gets mushy. The last time this was the case and I got stuck in the mud 3 times and had to be pulled out by a big tractor.

There were probably a hundred motor homes and trailers stuck, that had to be pulled out that weekend. There are no hook ups and the sites are long but narrow. We had a great time the first dry outing and an absolutley horrible time the second trip.

Again if it has rained for a while do not go in the inner field. The worst part of it when we got there nobody warned us or anyone else of the soft ground.

kenbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Daytona has 50a and cable, water is available in all areas but you need loooong hose to fill up ( which plenty are available) Sewer trucks float around 24 hrs a day for pump outs.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by kenbert1 View Post
I have been there twice, for INDY cars. The inside field is very thick grass and as long as it is dry, no problem. But if it has been raining alot then everything gets mushy. <snip>

There were probably a hundred motor homes and trailers stuck, that had to be pulled out that weekend.
I used to go to the F1 races there back in the 70's. Used to be a lot worse before they re-graded the entire outside of the track. We would camp outside of the 90 on top of a small hill where 2 dirt roads met in a gully which would fill up with water even when it was dry. It was the absolute best when it rained. Cars stuck everywhere and the local farmers fighting each other to pull them out. Of course I was pretty young back then and was drunk the entire weekend. Probably wouldn't be as much fun now.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Texas MSW is my first pic by far you can go infield with 40 ft max or out side 40 ft plus full hook-up or grass no hook up. infield can run up to thousands !! average 2000.00 appx
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
we have been to bristol several times and I dont think there is any campsites there with hookups,most are open fields with spaces marked for your rv.Yes if/when it rains getting out can be a mess and one year the entire lower section of one campground was flooded.

Kentucky Speedway has 6 campgrounds I think two of them are full hookup but the price is around $600 for single race weekend and $750 season pass.the campgrounds open on sunday and close the next sunday (7 days).

The last three years we have been in the ponderosa campground.each site is 20 x 50 ( i think).the cost is $250 single race $ 300 per season.Its basically boondocking with a crowd.Luckily there is water available at gate so we fill our fresh water there instead of hauling it for the trip.also there is dump stations available.

Also a septic truck runs daily and you can dump without moving for a fee.

First two years no problems ,,this year we arrived on wednesday night in the middle of a massive rain storm and yes we get stuck,luckily I made it onto my site.Sunday after the race the track provided large tractors to remove all the stuck campers.
To us its all part of the nascar experience so we take it all in stride and already have our camp site and tickets reserved at ky for next season and bristol is first come first serve.

At both tracks the amount you pay is same whether you stay all week or one night
96bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Talladega has Allison Rv on back stretch, full hooks ups, watch race from chairs in front of rv, hard to get. $1600.00 for 4 people, includes infield passes, $100.00 per person after 4,

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131204_220227.png
Views:	81
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	51333

Name:	ForumRunner_20131204_215933.png
Views:	85
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	51332

Name:	ForumRunner_20131204_215805.png
Views:	89
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	51331
Bamashell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
my wife and i both work at watkins glen as grid marshals. the previous post was pretty accurate.when the rains come the sites get soft. we stay in the workers campground and after a couple days rain the ground gets mushy.overall the racing is great and the scenery is fabulous good luck,maybe we'll see you there
dgrandusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

If you go to Watkins Glen and see a good race, and not go to Watkins Glen State Park to tour the glen, you have erred.
It is one of the most wonderful treks you will ever take.

Just sayin....

Name:	image-2485413162.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	51552

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote