Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Watts Rv 10,000 water softener ?

Was wondering if anybody in the motorhome community has used the Watts RV 10,000 water softener? is there some sort of trick to make it work ? Right out of the box it never appeared to work every time I use the testing water strips they continually to test hard . I have ran about 600 gallons of water through it now as I have a little meter to tell me that. So I tried to regenerate it and still the water strips are testing hard, it says poor 2 pounds of table salt down the top then hook a hose to it and let it flush out of the port of the y for 20 minutes, so I did and still testing hard, does anybody know what I could possibly be doing wrong ? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Basically that is what I do too, Flushing using the small orifice hole in the y ontil I do not taste any salt in the water, usually about 15/20 min. I use test strips and never had a problem with it testing hard after regenerate it. We have used ours 5+ years.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let the salt sit for an hour or so. It's cleaning up the schlock that's gotten mixed in with and on the resin beeds. Let it flush for an hour. I'm sure you've noticed how slow the water is on the flush. Ours is permanently mounted, but others have said to roll it on the ground to better circulate the salt through the beeds. I don't seem to need to. Give it a little more time and see if that doesn't help. I initially called them and they suggested the longer flush time.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

I have had this model for three years with no problems. I add salt and let it sit for aprox 20 min. Then turn on water so that it just passes over the tank and not too fast or too slow. I do this until I taste no salt. Then test with strips. Works every time
Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe they forgot to add the resin beads to the inside. It will never work without having the proper amount of resin beads.

I have used the Travel-Soft 1200 for the past 12 years and love it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

The resin beads need to soak in the brine solution for at least 15 mins BEFORE flushing/rinsing cycle

Resin beads collect magnesium/calcium until saturated.......brine solution exchanges sodium for the magnesium/calcium 'regenerating' the beads for use again.

Soak time is essential for that exchange.
Flush/rinse time removes excess brine along with the magnesium/calcium that has been removed from the beads.

Also.......resin beads can get packed and do to channeling with not exchange as well as they should.
Connecting hose to outlet (use a double male hose adapter) turn water on full and backflush unit. This will fluff up the beads removing any channeling and break up any packing of beads. Back flush for 10 mins.
Then add salt for regen.....soak for 20 mins.....then rinse for 15 (pencil lead size stream)

As for test strips........OLD?

I didn't even bother with them.
We have an 8000 grain unit. 2 adults ---end of week I could feel difference in water so I would do a regen.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

Water Softener

I have the smaller 8000 unit with the large cap rather than the smaller one on the 10,000 unit. I imagine that it is pretty tough to get 2 pounds of salt in the your unit. I now have mine permanently mounted in my wet bay so that I don't have to remove it and roll it around the ground. I have a 2 gallon bucket that I fill with water and add the salt to. I put a 120 volt fountain pump in to the bucket and attach it to the water softener with quick release connectors. The salt brine flows from the bucket into the softener and back into the bucket. I let it run for 30 minutes (just to be sure) and then flush it with a low flow of clean water for 15 minutes. This is so much easier that the method recommended by the supplier. I purchased the pump on Amaz_n for 23$ or so. The bucket cost $12 but it fits in the compartment and I had the fittings and hose.

Dave
Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
I have the smaller 8000 unit with the large cap rather than the smaller one on the 10,000 unit. I imagine that it is pretty tough to get 2 pounds of salt in the your unit. I now have mine permanently mounted in my wet bay so that I don't have to remove it and roll it around the ground. I have a 2 gallon bucket that I fill with water and add the salt to. I put a 120 volt fountain pump in to the bucket and attach it to the water softener with quick release connectors. The salt brine flows from the bucket into the softener and back into the bucket. I let it run for 30 minutes (just to be sure) and then flush it with a low flow of clean water for 15 minutes. This is so much easier that the method recommended by the supplier. I purchased the pump on Amaz_n for 23$ or so. The bucket cost $12 but it fits in the compartment and I had the fittings and hose.

Dave
So far so good. The buckets are 5 gallon, food grade with screw on lids. Never had a drop of water from filters above, but have held almost 10 gallons of hurricanes.

Have to be careful not to suck out the beads and with the smaller lid it's a little tricky. Ya need to get at least 2 cups of water out to get 2 pounds of "when it rains it pours" in. And with the funnel you need to keep it dry or the salt will clog up the flow. Half the time I just free pour the salt, and always have a beach towel handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456021797616.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	119489   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456021814483.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	119490  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1456021842058.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	119491   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456021918233.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	119492  

Old 02-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Was wondering if anybody in the motorhome community has used the Watts RV 10,000 water softener? is there some sort of trick to make it work ? Right out of the box it never appeared to work every time I use the testing water strips they continually to test hard . I have ran about 600 gallons of water through it now as I have a little meter to tell me that. So I tried to regenerate it and still the water strips are testing hard, it says poor 2 pounds of table salt down the top then hook a hose to it and let it flush out of the port of the y for 20 minutes, so I did and still testing hard, does anybody know what I could possibly be doing wrong ? thanks
add your salt, agitate the softner and then let it sit for an hour. Flush out the salt with water making sure the stream is no larger than a pencil. That should solve your problem. Hope this helps.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #10

Pour out two quarts of water from the outlet valve. Through the top plug add two cannisters of non-iodized table salt. Put the plug back in, close the outlets and turn the water supply on. Let sit for at least an hour.
Open the rinse valve and let rinse for a half-hour or so.

Here in east Texas the water's usually hard at 7+ gpg; the softener gets it down to about 1 gpg. I have to regenerate it every nine days or so.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

Wanted to say thank you all for your great advice on this issue ...
I re-generated it again today but followed the extra steps that were told in these post and it worked. My test strips were in the green for the first time owning this softner . I just about thru it away yesterday and now today it working as designed . So glad I asked this great forum!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Woot! Woot!

Tags
water