Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Wax fan controller from source engineering, installation ideas

After my embarrassing experience with a dust cloud in a camp ground last year, I have come to the conclusion that my fan controller has gone bad. I ordered the updated wax fan controller for my 2000 Allure. I was curious if anyone had any advice on the installation. I have a 330 cummins isc.

I was also told that I can install the wax controller into my radiator if my radiator had an unused bung that was installed by the manufacturer, which is located under the fill hose. Has anyone done this?

thanks for the help, I can't wait to get this done!
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't remember seeing a bung in the radiator that would allow the valve installation. My valve was installed on the motor with the hydraulic lines being run downward. Source also supplied the pipe shown in the pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	142427  
Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Interesting. the bung on your 90 is roughly the size of the one on my radiator. I was told that only the copper steel radiators could possibly have the bung and it appears that mine does. It is located directly under the filler hose. The aluminum radiators will not have this bung.

You can tell the difference by looking at your radiator and looking for evenly spaced bolts about 1" apart on the side of the radiator then it is a copper steel. If it doesn't have the bolts, than it is likely an aluminum.

Don, did you notice much of a difference after you installed the kit?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Ii had mine installed and immediately took off across country where the ambient temps were in the mid to high 90's. On the flats, I would see 183-188 depending on morning or mid day. On the long grades the highest I ever saw was 197.

You will probably still have the dust storm when you start the cold motor. There is a restrictor in line to keep the fan turning enough so that in case the AC is on, it will keep the head pressure down. Once the motor is at operating temp, the fan will idle down. It also appears that I lost about a tenth of a mile per gallon but my drive wasn't iin the best of conditions. Going to take a trip down south shortly so I'll keep an eye on mileage.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

Calling SE can answer a lot of your questions.

Pleased with the install they did for our coach, which looks like Don's. When the had the radiator return pipe off to braze/weld the attachment into it, I went and bought a new thermostat. Figure the OEM one was 14 years old, so while it was apart, might as well replace with a new one.

I have not noticed any change in MPG, I would not be surprised to see Don's next run may show the same, or perhaps a bit better (Sure not enough to write home about!) then OEM Fan Controller. The wax valve is infinitely variable based upon temperatures. So the fan RPM does not only have Low/Medium/High fan speeds to jump too. My bet is the bulk of the time, the fan will be running at lower RPM's then the OEM Fan Controller would have it running at.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Ii had mine installed and immediately took off across country where the ambient temps were in the mid to high 90's. On the flats, I would see 183-188 depending on morning or mid day. On the long grades the highest I ever saw was 197.

You will probably still have the dust storm when you start the cold motor. There is a restrictor in line to keep the fan turning enough so that in case the AC is on, it will keep the head pressure down. Once the motor is at operating temp, the fan will idle down. It also appears that I lost about a tenth of a mile per gallon but my drive wasn't iin the best of conditions. Going to take a trip down south shortly so I'll keep an eye on mileage.
Don,

You are correct. My fan idle's fairly fast on start up. I was hoping for a slower speed at start up. I plan to call Source in the morning and see if I can enlarge the restrictor and find a happy medium. I did notice temps around 180 to 185.

I will say that if a person is going to install this kit on there own, I would have the bung installed in the elbow above the thermostat. I installed mine in the radiator and it was tight and I had limited clearance.

Tags
engine, fan, install