Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

We are in a flood zone... Generator question...

Hi guys, we are in a flood zone where I live, but we are not in danger on our property. However, if they cut local power due to flooding, I am curious if there would be a way to to tie the MH generator to the house. I know, electrician, but I just want to know if there is a lot involved to doing it? Or is there a lot of parts and pieces to get to make it work. Remember, this is just under an emergency situation, not a regular thing.

Thanks!

Mezmorized is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My plan for an extended power outage is to run a couple heavy duty extension cords in to hook up the freezer and our refrigerator along with running a couple lights.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmorized View Post
Hi guys, we are in a flood zone where I live, but we are not in danger on our property. However, if they cut local power due to flooding, I am curious if there would be a way to to tie the MH generator to the house. I know, electrician, but I just want to know if there is a lot involved to doing it? Or is there a lot of parts and pieces to get to make it work. Remember, this is just under an emergency situation, not a regular thing.

Thanks!

Easy to do in an emergency...hard to do correctly and conform to code. The problem is in assuring that the house is disconnected from the grid and that the generator connection (which would be a male plug) is not energized by the house when not in use.

There are all kinds of shortcuts that are quick and relatively easy but they require you to be aware of safety issues...and hence not to code.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a plan at our place when power is gone for more than a few hours.
we have heavy gauge extension cables and run them to the freezers and fridge in the house.

then we just stay in the bus

if we are gone....well its what it is
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Easy to do in an emergency...hard to do correctly and conform to code. The problem is in assuring that the house is disconnected from the grid and that the generator connection (which would be a male plug) is not energized by the house when not in use.

There are all kinds of shortcuts that are quick and relatively easy but they require you to be aware of safety issues...and hence not to code.
Oh I definitely hear you on that! And, I am fully aware of the "suicide cord".
Mezmorized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmorized View Post
Oh I definitely hear you on that! And, I am fully aware of the "suicide cord".
Yep...turn off the main breakers and plug a "suicide cord" into an outlet on each side of the panel. Turn off all double breakers...and go from there.

Not to code...but works quite well as long as you keep you wits about you. Don't forget them main or powerline workers might be in danger.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #7

First, the disclaimer that I'm not an electrician, but I don't think this is too complicated or expensive. There's quite a bit online about how to do this. Since this is an emergency-only situation I wouldn't think you'd need to go the automatic transfer switch route:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gene...hrome&ie=UTF-8
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Just went through this last weekend - lost the power south of Ottawa for several hours and my sump pump runs every two minutes for the last month.

Started the MH generator first try(hasn't been run since fall) and ran an extension cord from the MH bedroom through my basement window and to the sump pump. Only took about 10 minutes but the water in the sump was pretty high.

Later ran a second cord to watch TV.

My plan is to switch to propane (from oil) this summer and will also have a Generac whole house generator installed on the propane with the large torpedo tank. Will cost but will have peace of mind if gone.

Good luck on the flooding, we've been watching the local news and it doesn't look great for eastern Ontario and Quebec this weekend.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator