Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Damon Owners Club
Question We are NEW! CARSEAT yes or no??

My husband and I are buying a 2003 Damon Intruder 375. We have 4 children and 2 of the 4 of them are 2 year old so there for are still in a booster/childseat...does anyone know the rules as far as these seats go when your traveling in a motorhome? and where would these be placed???

Thank You,

WoodPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
The laws regarding DOT approved child restraints, including booster/childseats vary from state to state. Generally, if you comply with the laws of your home state, you will be OK in other states which may have more restrictive laws as you travel through them. The Highway Patrol or Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in your state will have information on the applicable laws which will govern the matter.

HOWEVER... There is something to be said for doing everything in your power to safeguard the little ones. Remember, your RV is a "house on wheels" and there are lots of things a child can get into... and lots of places they can be out of your sight. They may turn on the propane stove knobs, flood the bathroom, stick an object into an electrical outlet or get into hazardous chemicals.

Also, they may attempt to open a door or window with disasterous results. Don't forget that your bedroom windows are designed to be fire escapes and will open wide enough for an adult to pass through, let alone a child.

All of these hazards are in addition to the matter of being thrown about by a mishap. Never forget that even though it may feel like you are sitting on your living room sofa at 70 MPH, you are in fact going 70 MPH and a body may experience the same extreme forces of impact as would be experienced in a family automobile, depending upon the particular circumstances.

My sincere advice is to keep them in the safest restraint possible for as long as you can. You will never second-guess yourself for doing that in the event of a mishap.

Safe travels to you,

Jim and Fran in Central Florida
1989 Country Coach Sedona Mark V
Turbocharged Detroit Diesel 8.2L "Fuel Pincher"
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
i agree with Good Man safety fisrt! teach them now to buckle up when they are young.
1997 four winds windsport 38,000 miles
1999 ford ranger sport on a master tow car dolly
Rob,Faye and peanut(long haired chiwawa)
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
100% agree! My 5 1/2 year old knows that if the engine is running she's to be in her booster and buckled, No exceptions!
Wore out, Fed up and done! IT's PLAY TIME
1999 Monaco Windsor 40PB
tylerdmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your couch.. Mine is bolted to the floor & is equipped with seat belts. I plan to seat belt the baby seat to the couch.
2004 National See Breeze LX8375, Towing a 2012 Liberty
retired. Now What?
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Yes to car seat

We were told by the dealer where we got our MH that children did not have to be in car seats in OK but could not ride in the front seat. However, we took our two year grandson to Branson and he rode in a buckled car seat all the way - per his mom's instructions. He still had such a good time as he was sitting up higher and the seat was turned where he could watch his movies and see outside as well. I agree, safety first. Precious cargo
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I totally agree... safety first!!! To bad the designers of motorhomes didn't think about it and the bureaucrats only care if your following their law... even if it was never really thought out.

My point... kids in seat belts in a dinette. Where do you think that flimsy mounted table is going in even a minor wreck?

OK... getting off my soap box
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I agree with everyone else, safety first . Every child should be in a car seat or buckled in for their safety.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Has any manufacturer or any agency ever tested car seats in an RV? I don't think so. Is strapping a child in a car seat on the couch safe or are you creating force dangers by seat belting them in a side facing configuration?
I have always told my children, and now my grandchildren to sit down while in motion. Infants where in child seats because it seemed prudent. Children can walk to the back to watch tv on the bed or to get a beverage from the frig. If someone needs a potty break I will pull over, just to make things comfortable for all.
My concept is that I am 26,000 lbs traveling at 55mph on a straight path. In an accident the danger, in my mind, is from debri falling from the cabinets. I don't think hitting the windshield is a serious concern.
This is my humble opinion based on 40+ years of RV travel. I am not an expert in the law or in auto safety. My basic knowledge of physics tells me that the one with the most lug nuts wins.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
yes we very much agree about safety 1st all of our children know they have to be buckled up before we take off even if its just right across the street to a neighbors house and as far as facing sideways or front...they do that to get away from the airbags. My concern is the couches yes they have seatbelts bolted to themselves but like in a regular truck,car or SUV the child seats can be connected to the frame....so if things are going to flying during a wreck...then would the couch be also with enough force and with your child attached??? just concerned about what to do with all that??

Thank You for all your input it really helps a wondering momma
WoodPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Mid Atlantic Campers
I can only comment on VA. Front seat passengers and the driver must be seat belted regardless of age or size. If they are required to be in a safety seat or booster seat, then they are required to be in that same seat in an RV and that seat must face forward or backwards, not sideways. Anyone under the age of 16 in the RV not in the front seats must be belted and the driver is liable for a summons to be issued for that violation. Adults not wearing a belt will be given their own summons.
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 36MS
2008 CrossRoads Cross Terrain TF36DS (SOLD)
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would never take anyone with us unless they buckle up. I have walked to the back of the coach and it is not easy to keep my balance. A child would have a very difficult time. If the coach veered sharply, an unbuckled child could be thrown across the coach into the cabinet or stairwell. Our grandchildren are precious cargo and we do our best to take good care of them always.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Here's some food for thought. In a car, an unbelted child will only travel inches to maybe a foot before hitting the dash or front seat if in the rear seat. In a motorhome, an unbelted child can travel very far before hitting something. In essence, that child becomes a missal. Now picture yourself driving and a situation arises where you have to slam on your brakes....if you have to think about someone becoming a missal inside your motorhome, your decision will be severely impaired and only disaster awaits. Buckle everyone up and have a safe trip.

bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote