Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
I bought Fresh Cab a few weeks ago. Others have said it works well. I am also putting a couple of moth balls in a paper cup, and putting a cup on each tire. I will put a cup in the engine compartment as well.

TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Mice hate the smell of Oil of Peppermint. Available at health food stores. Leave a few cotton balls soaked in it in various places they frequent and they will leave.
Put some plumbers brass wool in all openings to keep the critters out. Available at home improvement stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards.

NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee, I too have an Intruder... but it's a Damon Intruder, not a mouse intruder.

Mice, for some reaon do not wish to intrude on my intruder.. I'm not sure but I think this may be due to Amber and Alex.. They would love to have some mice come by and join them for lunch. But for some reason the mice are not interested.. I suspect the mice fear that the main course would be "Mouse tartar". And... They are right.
(Yes, Alex and Amber are cats).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought 4 Victor wooden spring traps this morning. Lots of mice this fall. Makes me a total of 8 traps. 2 in the motorhome, 1 in the generator compartment 1 in the belly AC compartment and the rest just under the motorhome on the ground. In about a week the traps will go untouched and the mice are mostly gone. I then keep 1 trap inside and 1 in the generator compartment. I check all traps daily. I use several Tom Cat mice baits under our porches, in the garage and pole barn.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Bill & Linda. If it doesn't move and should, WD-40 it. If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it. F-350 dually, 40' Sunnybrook Titan toy hauler and custom Harley
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Six cats with us, never any mice!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
I have been told not to use pioson as this dehydrates them then they eat through the water pipes,just think of that mess
cooldaddy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
All cats will do in my opinion is keep the mice out of sight which means in the walls and cupboards. As far as mice eating through water pipes, my first instinct is disbelief but I will wait and see if there is further confirmation because I do use mice poison and yes they get dehydrated and hopefully go away and die.

If they eat my water pipes I will put poison in the water.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club

We once somehow got a mouse in our travel trailer. I watched the little bugger running around at night on our weekend trip. Drove me nuts. As soon as I got home I made my own mouse trap. It worked excellently. And it'll work for you too. I got a 5 gallon bucket, a metal coat hanger, a can of chicken broth a ramp and a dab of peanut butter. Poke a hole in each end of be chicken broth and drain as much out as you can. Straighten out the metal coat hanger and slide it through the can. Wrap each end around the handle of the bucket where it attaches to the bucket. Put a dab of peanut butter on the can(one on each side otherwise the weight of the can will cause it to roll over and face down. Then fill the bucket about a third full of water. Place a 2-3" wide piece of wood long enough against the bucket to act as a ramp. The mouse will run up the ramp, across the wire to the can to get the peanut butter. As soon as he(or she) steps on the can, it will spin and the mouse will fall into the water. He will eventually drown. Problem solved.

I used this trap and by the morning, my mouse problem was no more. It's safe(no poison left behind if you've got little kids like I did at the time) and you know for absolute certainty that he's gone rather than having him die in a wall or cabinet only to find him smelling 6 months later. Google "bucket mouse trap" and you'll see what I mean. Oh and the best part is its practically free!
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
I used that method except with no can. I put grease on the coat hanger towards the center of the pale so it would slip and fall in. I didn't use water in the pale. I would carry the pale across the street release him in a field so he could make his way back and start the cycle over again.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
NO POISON...the little buggers will eat it, crawl behind something and when they are dead they will rot and stink!!!

Use any kind of trap so you capture the body for disposal.
This is the best advice on the entire forum. Whatever you do do not use poison. There was a television show called property ladder. The person flipping a house bought it after it had been empty for several years. The residence had a large rat and mice infestation. They called an exterminator and he put out poison. They repaired and replaced all of the sheetrock in the house the same time the poison was put out. In a few days they were ripping all of the sheet rock out where the critters had died behind it and the smell. I put out poison in my attic once and killed a pack rat. The smell got drifted into the house so bad I had to open up all ventilation to the attic. tear out that section of insulation. spray it several times with bleach and not sleep in that portion of the house for two weeks. Use traps. they will catch any mice and you can dispose of the body. I live in a very rural area on acreage and have had mice issues for a long time. I like the mouse traps that look like a big clothes pin they are about the easiest to set.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
Is rhere a fogger to kill mice? It will penetrate anywhere so no hiding place. Check with home depot.
You don't want to use a fogger or poison. You don't want the critters dying in some crevice with the resulting decaying odor.

Entice them out in the open and get them with a trap...dead.

Do a search on this forum for "mice". There have been a number of posts and threads on this issue with a variety of ideas presented and discussed. You can pick and judge the good ones from the bad ones yourself. I pasted a link to one below.

Keeping mice out over the winter
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Gunner, Dylan, Daisy, Brandee
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
Whatever you do do not use poison
I'm using poison now with good success. Three blocks gone in three nights in the garage and the fourth one stays untouched. Thats alot of thirsty mice. Will rethink it if they start smelling up the place. I do wonder if its a good idea to place the poison or any kind of bate inside the RV as apposed to outside. I don't want to invite them in if I can help it.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used poison for the last 13 years. I only put it in the outside compartments. None on the ground(dogs in the area)

I never had one die inside the MH or walls. Don't think they can get in the foam insulated walls anyway.

I use Decon and the blocks. When they get thirsty they must go to the location they have been using in the past to get water. Probably a lot easier then chewing through a plastic pipe.

Once in a while I find one dead out in the grass not far away. No mouse found here only rats. I keep checking the bait. As it can be weeks and none gone. Then all of a sudden a feeding frenzy starts and I need to add more every couple of days until it stops again.

I did put out a new Rat Zapper yesterday. Had one last year and it caught a few. But it quit working. New one is infrared technology.

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote