Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #29

Thanks for all the advice everyone

I'm using a combination of traps and poision. I have to be careful with the poison though because I have a 3 month old mini dacsuhound and she's about the size of a big rat

Rat Snake? Ahh no, that would get rid of the DW, she can even look a pictures of snakes.

I am hoping as said that they have left since the 4 dogs and us have moved back in.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
We've had very good luck with the traps that have the smell to attract and a sticky surface they can't evade once their feet touch it. Pick the trap up and into the trash. Mouse dies in the dumpster because it can't free itself. $5-10, no smell...just have to be willing to pick up the trap with the live rodent...then wash hands thoroughly.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #31
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
Anyone have any proven methods of getting rid of mice? This is a 45' Travel Supreme and the little intruders can be anywhere. Thanks for any help you can provide us.
Standard mouse traps and Kraft peanut butter as the bait. It's worked everytime for me. The peanut butter stays soft unlike other baits
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #32
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
But for some reason the mice are not interested.. I suspect the mice fear that the main course would be "Mouse tartar". And... They are right.
(Yes, Alex and Amber are cats).
I have two cats as well. One is definitely a hunter/killer, the other plays with it as long as it comes within paws reach of him. The only way he would kill a mouse is if he rolled over on it accidently cause he's too fat and lazy!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The only way he would kill a mouse is if he rolled over on it accidently cause he's too fat and lazy!
Your dog looks like a lean mean fighting machine
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #34

Sticky traps are great if you don't mind the screams of the mouse.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I dont want to see the mouse suffer. Out of sight out of mind.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #36
IC2

When we bought our home, it had been owned by, for no better words, The Slob Family and for only about 7-8 years. Instead of trying to find out how the multitude of furry rodents got in, they just put out trays of DeCon. Literally hundreds of those trays. 19 years later, I still come across either a mouse skeleton or a tray of DeCon - and this house I have literally rehabbed from the basement to the attic. including replacing sheet rock. There was one mouse entry from the garage through a fully 'rocked kitchen wall. I wasn't going to remove that section until my DW started commenting on the smell. Pulled it down - 3 feet of nest, poo and mouse bodies between a couple studs. The house is 99% sealed now - but no way will I ever use DeCon. Either traps or sic Callie, the poodle pup after the 1-2 that make their way in every year. The trailer - I've spent hours closing 'loopholes' and my DW still found a small pile of poo on one of the stove burners a couple weeks ago. Dryer sheets work, traps in the storage area work (but never over the winter) and then there is Callie

But with all that said, there is a worse furry beast called a CHIPMUNK. An earlier TT, a family of them chewed through the reefer vent screen, plugged the ducting, destroyed the control board, ate much of the insulation, ate through a wall to the bath room and destroyed many towels as well as bed sheets - all to the tune of about $1000 plus a week of my labor time
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #37
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Your dog looks like a lean mean fighting machine
THAT"S ME in my Avitar LOL!

This is my dog Bella beside Bruce our little Fatty:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000537.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	28378  
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
THAT"S ME in my Avitar LOL!
You are a handsome dude

You were not kidding about your kitty. We also had a kitty who was skinny challenged. The mice used to tease him knowing they could easily out run him.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #39

1) don't use poison. keep the roadkill outside.
2) the mice can figure-out to avoid the traps which can be gross.
3) my best results came from the cheap sticky mats with a glob of peanut-butter in the middle.put the mat(s) along a wall or cabinet edge where you won't step on them, but can still see and reach it. they'll never figure-out the sticky stuff.
!) I like the bucket contraption though.
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #40
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post

I used this trap and by the morning, my mouse problem was no more. It's safe(no poison left behind if you've got little kids like I did at the time) and you know for absolute certainty that he's gone rather than having him die in a wall or cabinet only to find him smelling 6 months later. Oh and the best part is its practically free!
The other "best part" to this is you can just pour it down your sticks toilet and flush! Don't even have to touch anything!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
snakes

All of the talk about snakes reminds me of what happened when I got married and my wife moved to Arkansas. She came from Tulsa Oklahoma and had always lived in the city. I live on 25 acres in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas. We were getting ready to go to bed and she got up to go to the bathroom to brush her teeth. As she was walking out of the bedroom door she asked " Is that what I think it is" I did not know what she was talking about and asked her " She said look on the VCR I looked over at the wall where the VCR TV were standing and on the top of the VCR was a 2 foot black snake. He was curled up and had about 6 inches of his body standing up and had his head parallel to the floor and was just looking around. I have been living in this house for over 20 years when this happened and had never seen a snake in the house before. She had not lived in it a month when it happened. I said yes that is a snake. I did not want to kill a black snake and I was not going to touch it. I got a clothes hamper with a lid and put it on the floor then took a broom and pushed the snake off of the VCR into the hamper. I put the lid on the hamper then took the snake outside. I walked up into a field a ways from the house to turn the snake loose and figured the whole time I was doing that she would be packing her bags. I got home and told her what I had done with the snake. She just said ok and went to sleep. It was one of the first of many pleasant suprises I learned about the women I had married.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
When we put ours away for the winter we use oil of peppermint. Seems to work and the MH smells really nice in the Spring. Jim