Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
It seems so scary to buy something in the 200/300K range and know that it is going to go eventually and I will need something else. Is that really what a lot of people do?
Yes, but that it the reality of it. Do not delude yourself into thinking otherwise. There are almost no motorhomes on the road that are over 25 years old. They just aren't worth the upkeep expense after that.

To remodel a used coach makes sense, but do it sensibly. Don't overspend on it, because it will not increase the resale value of the coach. You will have to be repaid through the satisfaction of using the coach, not in dollars. I suggest that if you go this route, use the coach as-is for at least 6 months to a year, to be sure you like it before putting remodelling money into it. Once that remodel money is spent, you will not get it back.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you buy a quality Rv with good bones, you can basically gut it and start over or just some changes like floor, cabinets, etc. But do start with a good higher end used unit.

Ken
This was the conclusion we came to.

OP, I'd focus on the 'foundation' and 'footprint' layout of the coach. (Foundation = Chassis, Engine, Tans. Tanks capacity. Footprint = number of slides, kitchen in slide or not, storage.)

Buy from the upper end of the food chain, research Wanderlodge, Foretravel, Entegra, Travel Supreme, Country Coach, Monaco (Executive or above, or equivalent in Beaver/Holiday Rambler), Newmar (Mountain Aire or above).

I'd even go look at older Newell's and Bus Built coaches too.

Pick a budget range for purchase, and drop years to stay within this budget, while still buying the highest quality coach you can find.

And as mentioned here by others, anything can be done, if you want to spend te money.

My advice would be to buy a bit older higher end rig that meets your main foundation/footprint needs. Then go use it for at least a year. Both of you start taking notes on what you feel is important to 'refresh' the way you want it. While using it this year, I believe you will change that list some along the way. This also gives you the time to research where you want to take the coach for the interior redo. I recommend looking for a 'all in one' place. A business that can do the cabinets, electronics, carpet, furniture, custom paint, etc.

We've been going slow and steady on our coach. As we used it over the last 2-3 years, I went ahead and upgraded: Suspension with Road Kings and Super Steer Motion Control (If budget would have supported, I would have also had the Active Air system installed.), House Batteries up to 800AH of Lifeline AGM's, Magnum PSW and all of the components, 1200W of Solar Panel and Classic 150 Controller. We've also swapped out old Tube to LCD TV's, added couches and chairs, and some cabinet work too. Yesterday we ordered the tile for the backsplash, and we're working on prepping the interior for a new interior paint job.

We are excited about making this 'Our Coach'. It is not an investment, we'll never get the money back out of what we are doing. But it is not about money itself, it is about our 'quality of satisfaction' while using the rig. It will put smiles on our faces as we miles on the coach. And we are planning on a 10-15 year usage period.

Long winded way of answering. But two quick key things: 1) What you think now, is not what you may think after a year or so of usage. 2) High quality coaches or a bus build rig, are worthy of redoing into what you want.

Best to you on your hunt, have fun, and take your time!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Maybe we should start with a used class c, make some changes to see, then wove to the class a in a few years
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Maybe we should start with a used class c, make some changes to see, then wove to the class a in a few years
I think you need to maybe rent an RV or two and get a feel for what you like and what you don't like. RV's tend to be a lot like their non-mobile stick and brick counterparts. What you think you may like and what you really like can be two very different things. You've really got to get out there with the family and see what floats everyone's boat. The idea of dropping several hundred thousand dollars on something that you aren't really sure you'll like may not be the wisest decision in the world.

Before you look to buying and then gutting any motorhome, go to the factory and watch them make these beasts. You mentioned Entegra and that is a very good factory to visit. I think you might be amazed an a bit overwhelmed by what goes into these rigs. Contact Entegra in Middlebury, IN and check out how they are constructed.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
IMHO a class C is way too small for a family of 4 to full-time in. (Just when I say this, somebody will chime in and say their family of 6 full-times in a Honda Civic ! :-) )

The basement storage alone, is so much greater on a DP because there is no long drive shaft to get in the way.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #34

Quote:
It seems so scary to buy something in the 200/300K range and know that it is going to go eventually and I will need something else. Is that really what a lot of people do?
Eagle Bus for Sale - Find High Quality Double Eagle Buses for Sale - Buses for Sale

If you don't want to spend a lot of "up front" money and you have time on your hands. Try this link above.

Silver Eagle Buses were all transit buses out of Texas. They will last millions of miles. Much cheaper than the Prevost bus.

You can find a good conversion for $50k

Have fun
rvbmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #35

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
IMHO a class C is way too small for a family of 4 to full-time in. (Just when I say this, somebody will chime in and say their family of 6 full-times in a Honda Civic ! :-) )

The basement storage alone, is so much greater on a DP because there is no long drive shaft to get in the way.
Sorry, I meant give up on full time for now and try out the class C, but looking today Cheap Class A ones are not too far off and give way more room.
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote