Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
We know what we want, but is there a better option?

We like Entegra Coach. We like the engines, the chassis, and the finishes. One thing we liked was the We can "afford" one but we really don't want to pay that much. Is it possible to get an older unit and remodel it? Like you flip a house, flip a motorhome? New wallpaper, paint the cabinets, re-upholster, upgrade the appliances etc? I don't know much about these things but I never fell that any of them are perfect to me.

Would it be more cost effective on a low mileage machine than buying something new or even a couple years old?
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

I would suggest motor home is the same theory as used cars. Test the Market: craigslist > sites
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not think you can compare them. Houses go up in value over time. You can buy it and fix it up and flip it but all you really do then is bring it into line with the current market prices. Motorhomes go down in value over time. You might get one and fix it up. This would increase the value if you got one cheap enough but you are still looking at an older motor home. Unless you can find one that is in really bad shape and negotiate a great price on it I think you will have trouble doing what you are talking about. There is a show on Television that shows a guy doing what you are talking about but he has a lot of scrap motor homes. Buys ones that are very closed to being scrapped and then makes a good one out of the two. But from what I saw he is talking about under 50,000 dollar motor homes and sometimes he restores classics.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

I don't actually want to flip it to sell, I want to live in it I just really don't like a lot of the interiors and would not feel right getting something new and then changing it all. I guess I will keep thinking.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Re model for your wants and needs is a good choice if you will stay in that rig for 5 years or more. Less years than that would be not smart money spent. IMHO
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Lots of members here have remodelled older RV's, some taking them down to the bare shell. If you can find one with "good bones", I'd say go for it & make it yours. All it takes is money.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. We would want to keep it for life. We are in our mid/late 30's and have a house in Florida already
Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We would want to keep it for life.
That's a nice thought but highly impractical. Motorhomes wear out much faster than stick and brick houses. It's rare to find 1980's motorhomes traveling the roads, just like it's rare to find cars of those age. The reality is the upkeep far outweighs the replacement cost of the unit so people ditch them and get a newer one.

When I started RVing I was in my early 20's and over the coarse of 20 years I have owned 6 coaches. None of them wore out, instead our needs changed dramatically from our first coach to our second to our third, etc etc. You are young, and you will find that your needs will change as your vacations, hobbies and travels change.

My .02 is to buy a used coach (3-6 years used) that fits your needs "right now". The coach will already have gone through most of it's depreciation, then plan on selling it before it turns 10 years old (this is another large hit in depreciation) and trade into a coach that fits your needs then. By doing it this way you will save lots of money (I calculate that I have saved over $500,000 if I would have bought new).

Good luck and have fun!
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We like Entegra Coach. We like the engines, the chassis, and the finishes. One thing we liked was the We can "afford" one but we really don't want to pay that much. Is it possible to get an older unit and remodel it? Like you flip a house, flip a motorhome? New wallpaper, paint the cabinets, re-upholster, upgrade the appliances etc? I don't know much about these things but I never fell that any of them are perfect to me. Would it be more cost effective on a low mileage machine than buying something new or even a couple years old?
You should give these guys a call I don't have any experience with them, but it sounds like they can remodel to make you happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3889740495.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	732.5 KB
ID:	54800   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2702293614.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	54801  

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
My .02 is to buy a used coach (3-6 years used) that fits your needs "right now". The coach will already have gone through most of it's depreciation, then plan on selling it before it turns 10 years old (this is another large hit in depreciation) and trade into a coach that fits your needs then. By doing it this way you will save lots of money (I calculate that I have saved over $500,000 if I would have bought new).
It seems so scary to buy something in the 200/300K range and know that it is going to go eventually and I will need something else. Is that really what a lot of people do?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You should give these guys a call I don't have any experience with them, but it sounds like they can remodel to make you happy.
That is exactly what I was curious about. Thank You!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you buy a quality Rv with good bones, you can basically gut it and start over or just some changes like floor, cabinets, etc. But do start with a good higher end used unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

From 2004 until now I have owned 4 tt,s 5 f'vers and finally a coach.I have "flipped"all of them.I purchase 5-6 yr old units that have been damaged and repair and use until we sale.

If you can and will do all the work yourself you can eventually come out ahead.You time invested cannot be counted or you will surley lose.

When I sold our last F'ver I was $3800 ahead over a eight year period plus we always had a camper for our personal use.

You have to be careful,what looks good is not always so.I purchased my current coach (96 bounder ) for what i thought was a steal,$3000 and was able to drive it home.When I finally had the coach in what I would consider very good condition I had spent another $3500 for repair materials plus invested approx 200 hrs labor which for me is no problem because I actually enjoy working on them.
As soon as warmer weather prevails I have to buy a new set of tires for coach as mine have all aged out.

At this point I have $6500 + whatever tire cost will be In a coach that would sell in my area for around $10,000 +/-.

Would i do it again ? yes.
Will wife let me? probably not as she has made sure interior is what she wanted and has told me this ones a keeper.
If you have time and know how go for it,if you have to "hire it done"its a losing proposition

As an average for me i have usually been able to have a great unit for about 60-70% of what you can buy it for.
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you buy a quality Rv with good bones, you can basically gut it and start over or just some changes like floor, cabinets, etc. But do start with a good higher end used unit.

Ken
I agree. find a higher end unit with a great floor plan, take it from there. you will be a proud owner upon finishing all things.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote