Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

Question We need advice on operating slide-outs

My husband and I just bought a 2001 Rexhall Aerbus with 2 slides. Of course, the coach came with absolutely no manuals. My question concerns the slide-outs. Does anyone know how to close the slide-outs if the hydraulics happen to fail when they are out? We figure there must be a way to put them in manually, but don't know how. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
CarolandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The Newmars have a crank system that you use a socket wrench on. Did you google, the brand and how to close slides?
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Our coach manual shows some things to turn with tools under the slides. I don't know what happens when it gets almost closed. We are both disabled so we plan on calling for roadside service if that happens to us. You can join Good Sam or CoachNet for under $100 a year and they will take care of it. We used Good Sam to tie an awning back together after wind damage on a former coach. We joined CoachNet because of the great reviews on this forum so we have both at the present time. We will most likely drop Good Sam at renewal time. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think your best bet is to find the mfg of your slides and then Google it and maybe make another post here to get some help. Without doing that, you need to have someone here familiar with that year and make of coach to read the post and it could turn out to be a long shot.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that there is a process defined which will involve opening a couple of valves and then putting a wrench on something to manually crank it in.

Good Luck,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If its hydraulic, the basic technique to is open a valve in the hydraulic system to relive pressure and then push the slide in. And I do mean "push" - likely takes a couple strong men.

With a hydraulic mechanism, there is no gear rack underneath that could be used to crank it in - the hydraulic ram pulls the arm in.

Hopefully another Rexhall owner can advise on reliveing the hydraulic pressure. If not, try to locate the name of the slide mechanism manufacturer. I think both HWH and Power Gear have made hydraulic slide out mechanisms.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

My two hydraulic slides have cranks for back up.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote