Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

We should organize somehow.

We have had many rv's, small TT up to diesel pusher. Each has had varying issues. Some a few, but our last purchase has had many expensive and significant problems.

My concern is that some are known recall type issues. For instance:

Generator fuel pump failure, resulting in no generator for boondocking.

And

DEF pump failure, resulting in dead on the road mh.

And

Buying a brand new mh with out of date ECM software.

I have found that many of us have the exact same troubles with the same or similar rv's.

Among other defects from poor quality control.

This forum is a great place to find help for diy projects. I am just wondering if we could organize somehow, so that the information is there to use in our quest to resolve these issues or use them to motivate the dealers and manufacturers?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Try FMCA or Good Sam

Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

I just had a bad experience with the Good Sam extended warranty (really a equipment insurance policy). The jack on Right Front level legs went bad. Called tech out, he and Attwood tech checked it out, determined that the main board AND the jack are bad. No problem, I got ext warranty, yeah right...Attwood says they don't make the board any more, and new board won't work with old jacks. Good Sam won't cover replacement of system due to obsolescence of failed parts. SCREWED...
Coach is a 2006 Newmar Ventanna. 8 years old, and can't get parts. There ought to be a law against that!!!!!
KenandKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandKaren View Post
I just had a bad experience with the Good Sam extended warranty (really a equipment insurance policy). The jack on Right Front level legs went bad. Called tech out, he and Attwood tech checked it out, determined that the main board AND the jack are bad. No problem, I got ext warranty, yeah right...Attwood says they don't make the board any more, and new board won't work with old jacks. Good Sam won't cover replacement of system due to obsolescence of failed parts. SCREWED...
Coach is a 2006 Newmar Ventanna. 8 years old, and can't get parts. There ought to be a law against that!!!!!
KenandKaren
IMO, there ought to be a law against all "Extended Warranties" PERIOD!
(Most other types of "highway robbery" ARE illegal)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #5

Ken and Karen,

It might be worth contacting Atwood to see if they would at least give you a schematic for the control board since it is discontinued. If they will (and they may not), you could take the board and schematic to a good electronics tech and they may be able to fix it. It may turn out the board failure is due to one or more components on the board that are obsolete, but even then techs often times have sources for obsolete components.

I have the same leveling system as you and if my control board fails, this is what I'll try before replacing the whole system.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

I would join/support such a proposal.It's terrible what the mfgs,dealerships,and repair fascilities do to us!
Ray Stooksbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

Ken and Karen.

Below is a link to a place that says they can repair them for $127. That would certainly be worth a try.

http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/ATWOOD/66275?redirect=true

Oh, and I'm sorry to hijack this thread a little. I think your registry idea is a good one.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO, there ought to be a law against all "Extended Warranties" PERIOD!
(Most other types of "highway robbery" ARE illegal)
Mel, I could not agree more. Unfortunately, consumer protection in this country seems to have become a thing of the past.

Be careful, lest you be reprimanded for not "thinking" before making such a "vituperative rant" by one of the more thoughtful members of this forum...like I was.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

FMCA, Escapees, Happy Camper, etc. all "organize" RVers but rarely (ever?) with the goal of challenging the industry to produce better products or revise standards or anything like that.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

dvmweb is really on to something. IRV2 is in a unique position to tap in to a broad community of rv owners and collect data thoughtfully and accurately submitted by members regarding their quality issues. The power of that cumulative info could be used to pressure rv manufacturers to improve their design and construction processes. In turn, the manufacturers would be in a better position to pressure their component suppliers.

This may be something beyond the intended scope of IRV2. However, without something like this, we can all go on accepting the first year of new rv ownership to be what it is now - a waste of time, money and aggravation fixing things that could have been prevented.

Cumulative, accurate information would ultimately produce improvements. It's a big project. Maybe we could start with just Class A's.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

dog walker, yes!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

Sounds like a communist conspiracy. Face it, RV mean ruined vacation. Since 08 product quality has diminished as the few manufacturers left strive to place product on sales lots and still make a some sort of financial return for he stock holders.
Buyers of new RV's, regardless of price point hoping for painless experiences live in la la land.
Mr. Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #13

I agree that a "painless" experience is a fantasy. But I also think we could collectively have a positive impact on the quality level of design and production. This, in turn, would lower the pain level for everyone in the future.

Some manufacturers would welcome this. Others would ignore it. Over time, the market would reward the ones that make positive changes. Especially, if we are all aware of who is improving and who isn't.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #14

Mr. Hipster, unfortunately what you say is true. I am not going to accept it. Why should anyone?