Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Weather pro awnings

I would like to hang a sun shade or maybe lights on the awning when extended. Need to know if there is a way to turn off wind sensor so that only manual in/out switches work. Below in the basement, the control box has (in-out) and a cable (similar to a telephone line) plugged into it. Could this be the wind sensor? Do not want awning to roll up with anything connected to it!! Guess I could always open control box and pull the fuse.

Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

Our Weather Pro has a small toggle switch labeled enable/disable for the wind sensor on the side of the "box". You should be able to find a manual for your awning here Products - Dometic

Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should have a remote control. On the back of the control you will see " To turn the wind sensor OFF, press door/open & close simultaneously."
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Long Island Mac,
To provide an accurate answer, Model and year would be needed. Things change. The previous posts suggestions may or may not work. My Weather Pro auto retract works the same as jzick posted. The toggle is on the left side of the control box. Not easy to see and almost impossible to read which direction is engage or disengage.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Weather pro awnings

Duhhhhh. Ever have the feeling that you are alone in this world??? Went to the site mentioned, and right there in black and white is the answer. Found the little switch on the side of the controler, which I can not see of course! Thanks, as always, for the help from you guys. Have any of you hunk lights or sun screens from your awning?
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Have any of you hunk lights or sun screens from your awning?
Having seen too many awnings destroyed by sudden wind gusts (so sudden the sensors cannot react in time on automatic ones) we would not dream of doing so. We retract the awning every night, when we leave the rv, and whenever the wind acts like it might get too strong.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick

Having seen too many awnings destroyed by sudden wind gusts (so sudden the sensors cannot react in time on automatic ones) we would not dream of doing so. We retract the awning every night, when we leave the rv, and whenever the wind acts like it might get too strong.
We use the same awning routine and would not hang anything from it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have my sensor set to the lowest setting. After 6 + years with the awning, I have complete confidence the sensor will retract the awning, when needed. The awning has retracted correctly in advance of everything from a tornado passing close by to a thunderstorm passing through the area to a light breeze (sometimes irritating).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wind sensor has failed a couple of times, so I wouldn't trust it. The box with the toggle starts beeping when the sensor fails.

I have hung lights up with clothes type pins that will come off easily if you needed to move quickly.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #10

Weather Pro sensor

I have correlated the failure of the wind sensor with roof washing. I have found 3 Motor Homes that had these failures including mine. Does anyone know where the sensor can be purchased and its number. These are 2005 and 2006 Motorhomes with the multi-plug control boxes. Also does the control box have to be changed with the sensor as Dometic (you should pardon the expression) technicians said? Thanks Howard.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Howard, my understanding is yes, both the sensor and control box are a matched pair.

I am looking into a possible better solution, I found at RV Parts Country.com, for $225, a new kit that mounts the sensor on the awning. AE Weatherpro rv awning control kit, id#3311917.029.

I'm trying to confirm that it is a retrofit to the roof mounted sensor.