Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Weekend camping in the cold...

A fellow camper and we were discussing camping in southern Arizona where we live. We are presently weekenders. My wife and I recalled that last winter we never had to worry about night temps that were cold enough, for long enough, that the water lines would freeze and burst. This year we recently had a week of temps low enough that freezing would be dangerous so we winterized. January and February are probably the only two months out of the year that might create a problem with occasional freezing night temps. So we winterized, but now what? We still want to camp on weekends.

This is what we were told: Winterize the coach and leave it that way until March. Until then use microwave type dinners to eat and everything throw-a-way that is used for cooking. Carry water in gallon jugs and a 2 ½ gallon container with a spigot for counter use. Water can be heated on the stove for washing up and any other needs where warm water is needed. That way there is no water to freeze because it is kept in the warm coach. If we were going to de-winterize and then winterize again, we might have to do this 5 or 6 times during these two months.

This all sounded great and we said that we will try this on our next weekend out.
Whoa… wait a minute, we said. What about the bathroom use? Sure we can heat water on the stove to wash up and then dump it by a tree, BUT what about toilet use? He related that he puts a medium size garbage bag over and into the toilet and then, after use, ties the bag and sets it into a large strong black garbage bag outside near the coach steps. When he has that filled he walks it to the park trash container. We said that we never heard that procedure before, but why not give it a try? He said that there were several camper friends in the park right now that do the same thing for January and February every year.

Well, we are going to give it a try our next trip out. We are wondering if any other forum members do the same in a climate like ours. Do you have any other winter tips? Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Interesting topic. I have had motorhomes out in some fairly cold weather, like low twenties and high teens, and have never had a a problem, as long as the heat stayed on. I guess you might have some concern about the tanks, but even those are in enclosed space. I would think that it would have to get very cold for a long time to create real issues, as long as the heat is on.

Is it garaged when you are home.?
Beaufort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

Dumping human waste is a dumpster is disgusting,dangerous and illegal. How about this, winterized the 6-7times you must. How many gallons of anti freeze will you use? The method of disposal -the bag can be punctured. Better yet, take the baggy with you and dump in your toilet. Let me know where you and your buddies camp so the rest of us will NEVER camp there. Have you ever heard of transmission of ecoli bacteria?
refncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaufort View Post
Interesting topic. I have had motorhomes out in some fairly cold weather, like low twenties and high teens, and have never had a a problem, as long as the heat stayed on. I guess you might have some concern about the tanks, but even those are in enclosed space. I would think that it would have to get very cold for a long time to create real issues, as long as the heat is on.

Is it garaged when you are home.?
It is not garaged because open parking is $93 a month and garaged parking is $225.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Walmart.com: Century Portable Toilet 2.5-Gallon Capacity Holding Tank: Camping

Take it home and dump it in your home toilet.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #6

ok silly question. How much antifreeze to gallon of water. or better yet, how much antifreeze for each potty flush.

i would say use the potty, by the way, what is the freezing temp of used potty water. I bet it is lower than regular water.

just some ideas to think about
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by refncpa View Post
Dumping human waste is a dumpster is disgusting,dangerous and illegal. How about this, winterized the 6-7times you must. How many gallons of anti freeze will you use? The method of disposal -the bag can be punctured. Better yet, take the baggy with you and dump in your toilet. Let me know where you and your buddies camp so the rest of us will NEVER camp there. Have you ever heard of transmission of ecoli bacteria?
Some years ago Milwaukee had an ecoli outbreak, but you had to drink the water to become infected. That's all I know about ecoli, maybe someone else like a physician will have a different answer. I am open for suggestions and that is the reason for the post. Maybe someone will have a better suggestion than using the dumpster. When we had a tent trailer in the 60's none of them had holding tanks or toilets. The usual method back then was a potty chair with plastic bags attached to them. That is all people used back then. What about all the baby diapers that go into the dumpsters? .

On several nights that are of concern our water hose froze solid at our house and we have the same weather as the State Park that we use. The water hose is much stronger than the small lines in the motorhome. When we bought the coach we had to have several lines replaced that were split open and leaking. Apparently the former owner had not winterized.

We hope someone has a better solution, but we are not the only people in the park that do this. We haven't actually taken any trips since winterizing so we are still open for suggestions before we do. Thanks, Joe
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
That might be an idea. I noticed that most people purchased the 5 gallon model. Less than $100 with 97 cent shipping. Joe
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
That might be an idea. I noticed that most people purchased the 5 gallon model. Less than $100 with 97 cent shipping. Joe

and dump it at the rv dump site?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
and dump it at the rv dump site?
That's another good idea.

I asked my son [lives in Wisconsin] what he does for winter camping. He said that they either dump RV antifreeze in the toilet with each use or they use windshield washer antifreeze which is half the price. All the lines are winterized for the winter. Joe