Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Do a search on Maryland. Residents have reported that they now require motor homes to stop.
I have been in most other states in the continental U.S. and have never stopped or been chased down for not stopping.
In most states only commercial vehicles have to stop.

I live in Maryland and thats news to me!!! Never seen a RV in a weigh station.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Haven't heard this one either. I called MD State last month and asked if they knew of anywhere I could weight, and they told me to go to Upper Marlboro scales (the scale closest to the bricks & sticks), park and ask. They didn't say anything about it being a requirement anyway.

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck.hickson View Post
My wife and I are total newbies. We purchased a Thor A.C.E. 29.1 and haven't taken our 1st long trip yet. We were wondering if we are required to run the motorhome through the weigh stations between florida and Montana?

Huck Hickson
Hi Huck and WELCOME!!

While you might not need to weigh, you might want to consider weighing empty and then loaded. I have known of people who got a big surprise when they did.

Congrats on your new addition! Hope that you have lots of adventures in it!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I live in Maryland and thats news to me!!! Never seen a RV in a weigh station.
I did a search on this forum and found two posts saying stopping at weight stations in MD is required but apparently not enforced.

This is one of them:

" Crabby Mike

Thor Owners Club

In answer to the original question, the only state I know of that "technically" requires all vehicles over a certain weight (in this case 5 tons) to stop at weigh stations is my dear home state, Maryland. The rule is stated on the MDOT site as follows:

8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce will be subject to a safety inspection.
This is consistent with the signage before the weigh station. However, every RVer who has contacted the state by phone or e-mail (that I have heard of, at least) has been told "don't worry about it, we don't really want you going through our scales, and no one will come after you."
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L

However, every RVer who has contacted the state by phone or e-mail (that I have heard of, at least) has been told "don't worry about it, we don't really want you going through our scales, and no one will come after you."
Would that be until one officer has not written on enough slips for that month?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Would that be until one officer has not written on enough slips for that month?
Yeah the fact that it isn't being enforced now doesn't mean they won't ever enforce it.

I couldn't find it but I recall a post on another forum from a guy in MD saying he was pulled over and made to go back and get weighed.

I really didn't search very hard because I never intend to drive my RV in MD and really don't care.
None of the states I drive in require me to stop so it's not something I care about.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Yes, I have seen and have been pulled into the weigh station on I-10 near the Suwannee River, which is separate from the Agricultural Check Station. And no, they did not weigh my rig. I also had my diesel tank dipped for agricultural fuel use, at the same location at a different time. Perhaps the inspectors were bored. As I said, the requirement is not full-time, but only when indicated on the orange VMS displays they roll in on trailers. My guess is that it's a Homeland Security thing.
So you weren't pulled in for weighing, but rather for specific agricultural or fuel tax checks. That can happen anywhere in the country for something special going on. If it was a HomeLand security thing you would see the Border Patrol - we going through those check points each year on our way to Arizona and that is an "EVERYONE" stop, not just trucks and RVs. The fuel check would be for everyone with diesel engines, etc. Lots of specific checks can be happening and those will be sign specific. The question was about commercial weigh stations and what the normal procedure is - which is to drive on.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is online now   Reply With Quote