Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #15

Here's a snapshot of the 2015 Discovery 40G brochure describing chassis capacities.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461423528.802784.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	124979

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #16

I keep looking for a limiting factor but I don't see one. Except for the tires you front axel should carry the weight of the Moho just fine. I don't understand why they put 255's on that rig. Obviously you need to upgrade the tires and in my opinion the Moho Manufacturer's should pay the bill.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #17

In Holland ( Europe), where I live, it is not allowed by law to have tires that cant carry the GAWR , but there are some exeptions for verry low speeds , thinking of vehicles that have maximum speed of 50m/h. Dont think this is the case here, And can be that in America the rules are different, but dont think so.
Then the maximum load is allowed to be recalculated for that lower speed .
Tires of your sise I found with Google gave speedcode L so 75m/h max speed.

Dont have the beginning post in view while writing, but will calculate with my motorhome spreadsheet the needed pressure , and will estimate the adding of persons and load first for that.
this pressure will be higher then the 120 psi maxloadpressure , but this is not the maximum allowed cold pressure of a tire.
American tiremakers allow 10 psi extra and for these trucktires wich your tires in fact are, they did allow 20 psi extra before.

This together with keeping yourself to a lower speed of fi 65m/h can mean that you wont damage your tires ,while you still use them.
But tires with higher maximum load I also would advice.

But how long have these tires been used at to low pressure for the load, if they are already damaged by that, they will blow when putting that higher pressure in it.

My idea was that the heavy motorhomes in America would not be overloaded that soon, but this topic prooves that it also happens, the same as the smaller motorhomes in Europe almost only used because normal driverslicence B only allows 3500 kg/7700lbs max .
'
Old 04-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #18

filled in my motorhome calculator part 3 for 4 point weighing.
Added for persons and load 600 lbs /4= 150 lbs to each weighing point.
Then from best would be 140 psi with reserve but this would probably blow the already damaged tires. At 130 psi no reserve .
Rear with all the reserves 130 psi and no reserves 120 psi.

Yudge yourselves if the tires are new or already used with to low pressure, before you decide to use this higher pressure.

Also here ,as 9 out of 10 times ,crossed weight differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Got my Discovery weighed today so I could calculate tire pressures. Weights were as follows:

LF - 5800#
RF - 5400#

Total Front Axel - 11,200

LR - 9250
RR - 10100

Total Rear Axel 19350

Total Coach 30550

When I look at the Goodyear inflation tables for my tires (and on the tires for that matter) it says max load is 5500# at 120 PSI

I did not see them weigh the coach, so I'm assuming there was no one in it at the time. My fresh water tank is about 3/4, so that's about 500 pounds. The grey and black tanks are empty. Propane is about full. Most of our "junk" we travel with is on board, but no clothes or food.

The 3 of us who normally ride in the coach probably weigh in around 400#. Clothes and food, maybe another 150.

So even if I dump my fresh water (just keep 10 gallons or so for the toilet) it sounds like we've got the coach pretty much maxed out (300# over on the LF).

Besides realizing I need to keep the tires at the max plackard PSIs, I'm a bit worried I'm pushing the tires. Not sure what to do about it or if I should even be worrying about it.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #19

I don't drive over 65 MPH and I don't think I'd fill these tires beyond 120 PSI. As I said, I'll be consulting Fleetwood and Freightliner to figure out what's going on. For a 12,400 GWAR I'd certainly want tires that can be max loaded to 6,200 pounds each.

Thanks, for the calculations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
filled in my motorhome calculator part 3 for 4 point weighing.
Added for persons and load 600 lbs /4= 150 lbs to each weighing point.
Then from best would be 140 psi with reserve but this would probably blow the already damaged tires. At 130 psi no reserve .
Rear with all the reserves 130 psi and no reserves 120 psi.

Yudge yourselves if the tires are new or already used with to low pressure, before you decide to use this higher pressure.

Also here ,as 9 out of 10 times ,crossed weight differences.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #20

Appears you are definetely overloaded on the tires, but how about the axles? You didn't state the CCC, but if you know you aren't carrying a lot of stuff, perhaps the mfgr. did skimp on the tires. I would be very concerned.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #21

Worldwide problem that is mostly down to the authorities, the manufacturers and the dealers. The authorities for allowing whole model compliancing without requiring a weighing at the factory gate, the manufacturers because they add stuff without re-compliancing the individual rig and sometimes have crazy limits on what can be carried in water and fuel tanks, and the dealers because they willingly add 6 extra batteries, 4 solar panels, a deep freeze and washing machine and dryer and icemaker etc etc also without advising the customer what this will do to the rig's safety and load carrying ability.

Trouble is it is the ignorant owner who cops it when something goes wrong and the rest of the supply chain just laughs.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #22

Yea, you don't know what you don't know. I've read all sorts of posts about capacities and tire pressures. I never did the math when looking at this coach to realize that the GAWV exceeds the max weight loading of the tires. THe only thing I was concerned about was if it could tow my tiny CRV, which puts no load on the tires. I was figuring I could deflate the tires some to smooth out the ride. In fact, based on a lot of the threads I have read here I thought I could even safely reduce the pressure of the tires by 10 or 15 PSI without even bothering to weigh the coach since I was sure there was a big safety factor loaded in. There goes your "ignorant owner" for you.

Dumping the fresh water and redistributing stored items should be an easy temporary fix. Going up to a set of new tires is going to hurt. I thought I had at least another 4 or 5 years left on these.

I think the onus is on Fleetwood, which is unfortunate since this is a used coach and the warranty on the coach from them has expired. They might step up if I sqawk enough and provide a new set of tires, but I'd be suprised. Freightliner might also be willing to help. They did send the chassis out with tires undersized for the front axel capacity. I'm simply amazed this isn't more tightly regulated. When you look at the layout of the coach you see the fresh water tank and kitchen slide which contains that big fridge are all pushing down on that front left wheel. They definitely should have put tires with a 6000 pound capacity on this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Worldwide problem that is mostly down to the authorities, the manufacturers and the dealers. The authorities for allowing whole model compliancing without requiring a weighing at the factory gate, the manufacturers because they add stuff without re-compliancing the individual rig and sometimes have crazy limits on what can be carried in water and fuel tanks, and the dealers because they willingly add 6 extra batteries, 4 solar panels, a deep freeze and washing machine and dryer and icemaker etc etc also without advising the customer what this will do to the rig's safety and load carrying ability.

Trouble is it is the ignorant owner who cops it when something goes wrong and the rest of the supply chain just laughs.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jondrew-

If you bought the coach used, there is the possibility that the tires that are on it are not the original, factory-shipped tires. An early post implied that your model could have shipped with higher-capacity tires.

You have a plan: 1) Inflate tires to 120 psi. 2) Remove weight, shift weight. 3) Re-weigh.

As you are close to the tire load limit, if there are items not included in the re-weigh (like people), you should weigh them all before adding them to the coach.

You may want to observe the next weighing. Also, if you can get it weighed a third time on a different set of scales, that should be useful confirmation.

If I was in your place, I'd replace the tires before I took another outing in the coach. The lives of you, your family, and those on the road with you depend on those six bits of rubber.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Jondrew,

Find out the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) of your coach and if you are over the limit throw out some of the junk you carry, or get a coach that can handle it, just because you have the room does not mean you can carry it. 100#'s of lead weights take up a lot less room than the same 100#'s of feathers.

When you do reweigh your rig have everyone that normally travels in it in their normal places, that is the only way to get an accurate measurement. It is not only you and your family you are placing at risk but also the public traveling near you. As has been previously stated an overloaded coach is dangerous, get yours into compliance before you hurt, or worse yet, kill someone. You have publicly acknowledged the problems here on IRV2, fix them before you drive your rig any further, it is a time bomb waiting to harm someone.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
jondrew-

If you bought the coach used, there is the possibility that the tires that are on it are not the original, factory-shipped tires. An early post implied that your model could have shipped with higher-capacity tires.

You have a plan: 1) Inflate tires to 120 psi. 2) Remove weight, shift weight. 3) Re-weigh.

As you are close to the tire load limit, if there are items not included in the re-weigh (like people), you should weigh them all before adding them to the coach.

You may want to observe the next weighing. Also, if you can get it weighed a third time on a different set of scales, that should be useful confirmation.

If I was in your place, I'd replace the tires before I took another outing in the coach. The lives of you, your family, and those on the road with you depend on those six bits of rubber.

You can easily tell what tires came in the Moho by looking at the spec sticker in most likely the cabinet over the drivers hard. It will be close to the drivers seat.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #26

I know personally people that own a FR Berkshire that bought them used that have had the air bags and tires updated by FR because the tires would not carry the load. Go after FW. They should do the right thing.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #27

Well I feel like a dummy

Folks, when I set out to figure out what tire pressures I wanted in my coach the first thing I did after getting it weighed was look at my photo file for the tires on my coach. Unfortunately, what I found were the 255/70R22.5s that were on my old, much smaller Excursion. I drove out to where I store my MH to take it for a drive and while looking at the coach plackard I noticed the max air pressure was recommended at 115 PSI, not 120 as on the tire. So I went out and double checked the tire and realized they were 275s, not 255s.

The 275/70R22.5s have a max load rating of 6940 pounds at 125 PSI so I am well within the load range of my heaviest tire which was 5800 pounds.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and did calculations. The joke is on me so feel free to have a laugh.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
If I missed it I'm very sorry but what steer axel do you have. I have a Berkshire and went through this weight issue. The Moho came with 10500 lb steer axel and 255 tires. I was at 10200 on the front axel with nothing in it. FR replaced the front air bags and the axel was certified by FL to a 12000 lb axel. FR also replaced all the tires to 275/80 at no cost to me. They even payed my fuel cost to travel to Gafney SC to have the work done by factory techs.
Pretty much what Newmar did with our '02 DSDP since we were overweight by 50#'s with nothing in the rig nor us aboard. One difference was going form a 12,000# axle to a 14,600# unit. Later I went to 305/70 tires and wider Alcoa wheels so I could use the full capacity of the new axle. Newmar paid the fuel to get from the west coast and back too, but that was due to our laws here.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure, weight