Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Weighed coach for calculating tire pressure. Am I overloaded?

Got my Discovery weighed today so I could calculate tire pressures. Weights were as follows:

LF - 5800#
RF - 5400#

Total Front Axel - 11,200

LR - 9250
RR - 10100

Total Rear Axel 19350

Total Coach 30550

When I look at the Goodyear inflation tables for my tires (and on the tires for that matter) it says max load is 5500# at 120 PSI

I did not see them weigh the coach, so I'm assuming there was no one in it at the time. My fresh water tank is about 3/4, so that's about 500 pounds. The grey and black tanks are empty. Propane is about full. Most of our "junk" we travel with is on board, but no clothes or food.

The 3 of us who normally ride in the coach probably weigh in around 400#. Clothes and food, maybe another 150.

So even if I dump my fresh water (just keep 10 gallons or so for the toilet) it sounds like we've got the coach pretty much maxed out (300# over on the LF).

Besides realizing I need to keep the tires at the max plackard PSIs, I'm a bit worried I'm pushing the tires. Not sure what to do about it or if I should even be worrying about it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

By the way, the tires are Goodyear 255/70R22.5s

Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at the Inflation Table for your tires. If your weights are right you are correct that you are probably over loaded.

I would investigate as to if you can upsize to a 275 tire.

The tires are probably the weak link in the drive train. I know the axles have a rating but in reality the engineering design incorporates a safety factor that is probably more robust then the tire safety factor.

I have 295/80/22.5 on my coach and run the pressures 10 psi higher then what the tire inflation recommendation is. I think my axles are the weak link but also know that the safety factor is there. I worked in the mining industry for +30 years and never did see an axle fail.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

Yes you are overloaded based on tires MAX Load/MAX PSI Ratings

You need to go thru the STUFF you have on board and stop off by a thrift store/charity outlet and donate

You are traveling with too much STUFF

LESS is MORE

If you haven't used it recently then you don't need to haul it around with you.

Get rid of the unused STUFF.
It's cheaper to buy something IF needed then to haul it around (weight wise and damage should tire blow from overloading)

LESS is MORE

1 BAG in--------2 BAGS of STUFF OUT

All passengers, Full Fuel Tank, weeks worth of clothing, food/linens, personal items, full fresh water tank, full propane should not be close or exceed lowest denominator (tires)

Time to dig thru the STUFF and ask honestly yourself and each other....needed (Not want)
Not NEEDED...........OUT
IF
Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #5

I don't have too much stuff. I have lots of room in my storage bays. The only thing I can cut out is the amount of fresh water which since isn't a problem since I don't boondock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Yes you are overloaded based on tires MAX Load/MAX PSI Ratings

You need to go thru the STUFF you have on board and stop off by a thrift store/charity outlet and donate

You are traveling with too much STUFF
LESS is MORE

If you haven't used it recently then you don't need to haul it around with you.

Get rid of the unused STUFF.
It's cheaper to buy something IF needed then to haul it around (weight wise and damage should tire blow from overloading)

LESS is MORE

1 BAG in--------2 BAGS of STUFF OUT

All passengers, Full Fuel Tank, weeks worth of clothing, food/linens, personal items, full fresh water tank, full propane should not be close or exceed lowest denominator (tires)

Time to dig thru the STUFF and ask honestly yourself and each other....needed (Not want)
Not NEEDED...........OUT
IF
Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

I'm surprised they put such small tires on a rig that size my little 34 has 295/75r 22.5.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

My coach comes with 275/70R 22.5 tires, and according to 2015 Fleetwood Discovery® 40G Motorhome : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide yours does also. A quick check of the inflation table shows your coach is OK with about 100 psi +-

What does the weight sticker behind the driver's seat indicate is the proper size tire?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. Not quite ready to throw $4k on new tires. These still have some good life to them. I have some other issues to fix first Discovery 40 G - Vibration and pull to the right . The vibration might be tire related to a bad tire.

I'm going to move some stuff around and get it re weighed

I'm also going to contact Fleetwood/Freightliner to figure out why I ended up with tires so close to the load limits. The configuration of the Discovery 40G has the kitchen on the left side and the fridge is sitting right behind the driver. So it makes sense there'd be a lot of weight sitting on that wheel. I'm carrying around 600 pounds of water I don't need so that's easy. If I recall correctly the fresh water tank is on the left side, front of the centerline.

I guess the main question I had about adjusting tire pressure has already been answered. Keep it at the max recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_TireMan View Post
I've been selling Motor Home tires for 30+years, we offer nationwide installation and would love the chance to quote you on tires. I would be happy to provide you a no cost weight analysis of the tires - We have full tire specs on all motor home tires.
www.worldoftires.com
866-501-1998
Jeff
Thank you
Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You didn't mention what the tire ratings were, are they "G" rated tires? If so you'll need to move up to and "H" rated 16 ply tire of the same size, there's no need to go to a different sized tire. A "H" rated tire will give you approx a 7710 lbs per tire load on the front in the single tire configuration.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Weighed coach for calculating tire pressure. Am I overloaded?

A tire blowing out is NOT a pretty thing, besides the damage it does to the coach from flying rubber, if you are traveling down the road at any speed it could cost you your life, particularly if it is a front tire that goes. Go to you tube and search on RV tire blowout, it is not pretty. We have friends that had a front tire blow while on an on ramp of I-5 north of Seattle a few years ago in their Newmar. Pieces of the tire came up through the floor into the coach. If his wife had been in her seat she would not be with us today. Luckily it was at a slow speed so he got the rig pulled over safely then spent 6 hours on the side of the road getting the tires (both front since they were the same age) replaced and temporarily repairing the damage to the sheet metal (yes sheet metal in the wheel well, not fiberglass, he just cut that away) and the wiring so he could SLOWLY limp home to do the final repairs to the coach

All tires have a "born on" date stamped on the side wall. It is 4 numbers indicating the week and year they were manufactured. Check it out, any competent RV/truck tire shop can help you, the older they are, especially greater than 7 years, (I would not expect this to be the case on a 2013 coach but since it sounds like the tires are the wrong size I would check any way) the greater the risk to you and those traveling with you. It sounds like Jeff is volunteering to help you, reach out and talk directly to someone that knows. If you then add overloading to the formula you are asking for trouble. Just because there is room in the coach for stuff that does not mean you can SAFELY carry it, your family's life is not worth carrying something you MAY need. If I have not used it in over a year I get rid of it, with the exception of safety equipment. How many reflectors do you carry, how about flares?

You also need to look at the axle ratings (GAWR) for your coach to see if either of the axles are overloaded. As well as the GVWR. There is a sticker in/on the coach somewhere that tells you these numbers, it is required by federal law. One other point, if you have an accident and you are overloaded you could be found at fault and/or you could have problems with your insurance. By the way, your total weight affects your brakes and stopping distance!

I don't mean to rant on about this, but there are 2 things I won't mess with, tires and brakes, they are what keep us safe!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #11

They are "H" you can see on the sidewall they are rated got 5500# at 120 PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
You didn't mention what the tire ratings were, are they "G" rated tires? If so you'll need to move up to and "H" rated 16 ply tire of the same size, there's no need to go to a different sized tire. A "H" rated tire will give you approx a 7710 lbs per tire load on the front in the single tire configuration.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #12

Thanks, as I mentioned earlier the tires are less than 3 years old per the date codes (I checked before we bought the coach). I've seen the videos you are referring to and am mentally prepared to add a bit of throttle in the event of a blow out. Of course I've also seen the truck blow out videos where the driver obviously had no time to react and things did not go well. This is the whole reason I've started the discussion. I assume most people have never weighed their coach and many have no idea if they are at or over their tire ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
A tire blowing out is NOT a pretty thing, besides the damage it does to the coach from flying rubber, if you are traveling down the road at any speed it could cost you your life, particularly if it is a front tire that goes. Go to you tube and search on RV tire blowout, it is not pretty. We have friends that had a front tire blow while on an on ramp of I-5 north of Seattle a few years ago in their Newmar. Pieces of the tire came up through the floor into the coach. If his wife had been in her seat she would not be with us today. Luckily it was at a slow speed so he got the rig pulled over safely then spent 6 hours on the side of the road getting the tires (both front since they were the same age) replaced and temporarily repairing the damage to the sheet metal (yes sheet metal in the wheel well, not fiberglass, he just cut that away) and the wiring so he could SLOWLY limp home to do the final repairs to the coach

All tires have a "born on" date stamped on the side wall. It is 4 numbers indicating the week and year they were manufactured. Check it out, any competent RV/truck tire shop can help you, the older they are, especially greater than 7 years, (I would not expect this to be the case on a 2013 coach but since it sounds like the tires are the wrong size I would check any way) the greater the risk to you and those traveling with you. It sounds like Jeff is volunteering to help you, reach out and talk directly to someone that knows. If you then add overloading to the formula you are asking for trouble. Just because there is room in the coach for stuff that does not mean you can SAFELY carry it, your family's life is not worth carrying something you MAY need. If I have not used it in over a year I get rid of it, with the exception of safety equipment. How many reflectors do you carry, how about flares?

You also need to look at the axle ratings (GAWR) for your coach to see if either of the axles are overloaded. As well as the GVWR. There is a sticker in/on the coach somewhere that tells you these numbers, it is required by federal law. One other point, if you have an accident and you are overloaded you could be found at fault and/or you could have problems with your insurance. By the way, your total weight affects your brakes and stopping distance!

I don't mean to rant on about this, but there are 2 things I won't mess with, tires and brakes, they are what keep us safe!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Thanks, as I mentioned earlier the tires are less than 3 years old per the date codes (I checked before we bought the coach). I've seen the videos you are referring to and am mentally prepared to add a bit of throttle in the event of a blow out. Of course I've also seen the truck blow out videos where the driver obviously had no time to react and things did not go well. This is the whole reason I've started the discussion. I assume most people have never weighed their coach and many have no idea if they are at or over their tire ratings.

If I missed it I'm very sorry but what steer axel do you have. I have a Berkshire and went through this weight issue. The Moho came with 10500 lb steer axel and 255 tires. I was at 10200 on the front axel with nothing in it. FR replaced the front air bags and the axel was certified by FL to a 12000 lb axel. FR also replaced all the tires to 275/80 at no cost to me. They even payed my fuel cost to travel to Gafney SC to have the work done by factory techs.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #14

Wow, nice. I'll be following up with FL and Fleetwood. If I dump my freshwater and load my stuff carefully I'll probably be ok till I sort this all out. I'm wondering if maybe I don't understand anything about loading specs. I just looked at Fleetwood's data sheet for the 2015 40G and it says the Front GWAR is 12.400#. How does that work when the max load rating of the tires are 5,500# each? Doesn't that add up to 11,000# max?

I'm guessing all Discoverys are like this and so far I have not heard of them having tire blow outs left and right. I'm assuming there's some design safety margins in the tires so that if you overload them by a couple of hundred pounds you'll still be ok. But it isn't the way I like to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
If I missed it I'm very sorry but what steer axel do you have. I have a Berkshire and went through this weight issue. The Moho came with 10500 lb steer axel and 255 tires. I was at 10200 on the front axel with nothing in it. FR replaced the front air bags and the axel was certified by FL to a 12000 lb axel. FR also replaced all the tires to 275/80 at no cost to me. They even payed my fuel cost to travel to Gafney SC to have the work done by factory techs.

Tags
tire pressure, weight