Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #15
Actually--your weights dont seem too bad to me....Recenly started a thread with my group of Class A owners. After a recent trip, I found my coach to be over 1000 off in the front and nearly 2000 in the rear [31,000 coach]. While 10 % off on each axle probably still isnt that bad, I found the weight to be high on the pass front and the drivers back, yet the air bags were in spec.
I have had front tire wear issues over the years--two sets in 160k--rivering on outer rib multiple pressure settings--all based on manufacturer tables and with front in alignment. Slight adjustments to air bag height brought front to within 100lbs and rear to within 300lbs, with no measureable change in ride height. Your results may be different but think I am pretty happy with what I was able to achieve. Made several short runs to see how coach handles--like always, great. Looking forward to a longer trip to verify all is still well.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

To get weights accurate enough to determine/calculate the tire pressures required a coach should be weighed with tanks filled, gear and supplies on board and the occupants in their seats...(aka: LOADED FOR TRAVEL).

Anything else is an exercise in futility...(aka: a waste of time).

'96 Safari
I had a previous weighing last fall in a "ready to travel mode" and was OK. I wanted the L-R weights this time for comparison. Only thing I didn't have on was the motorcycle and with it loaded I know I'll be over the rear axel some.

2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD, 2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
drwwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #17
OP - I also think your L/R differences are pretty dang good. The almost empty water is the only large weight item that could have made a difference. If the water tank is more to one side then the other on your coach, you might want to do this again. I personally recommend doing this with a full water, as sometimes when you're heading out for a boon docking weekend, or other reasons, you could have full water.

I also I think third the recommendation to always run the same PSI on an axle. It is the standard that all experts encourage.

And I usually fine Scotts (Fire Up) posts to be spot on. I think this is now the second time I recall he just weights the axles, but does not get side to side weights. Without the side to side weights, you could be running too low of PSI for a specific axle, due to the weight of one side being enough to push you into the next line of the Tire Manufacturer PSI charts. And of course, I run ~ 10% contingency PSI on top of the charts numbers.

Best to all,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #18
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The "Weight" thing has been on here, oh, about a zillion times and, sometimes people get a bit more complicated than they need to be on this. Weigh the coach, front, back, total. Look up your tire manufacturers website and, find their tire chart. The tag next to the drivers side refers to the max pressure for the max weight. If I'm not running at the max weight, per tire, then I'm not going to run the max pressure. I run what the chart tells me to. It's their tires, not the motor homes.

So far, we've owned the coach for almost five years and have put a modest 22,000 miles on it, running the tires at what Michelin's recommendation has been. The tires are wearing fine, no issues, no wandering, no "rivering" no odd handling problems and the ride is great. Moving stuff around in the compartments would be futile anyway due to the fact that, most of it fits where it's sitting at anyways. Besides, if the wife and I change positions, that alters the weights on the front corners anyway.
I could not have said it better.

2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote