Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
weighing a motorhome

Does anyone have experience in having their motor home weighed. I am getting ready to purchase a new set of tires on my 2001 new to me discovery and have heard it is a good idea to have it weighed first.
__________________

__________________
Tom Wise
Rome, Ga
tomwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,130
Cheapest way to go is to find a truck stop with segmented scales, that also has wide enough margins on either side of the scale to allow you to position only one side of the coach on the scale at a time. Using two different segments for the front vs rear wheels and weighing only one side at a time will give you a good 4-corner weigh. You can weight each axle but it doesn't give you the individual corners....
__________________

__________________
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jrbarber's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 122
Tom, I don't know if there's any benefit to weighing the coach before or after new tires but definitely weigh your coach. I weigh front axle, all axles and left axles (too close to building for right axle) so I can calculate individual wheel weights. Then I can shift cargo for proper weight distribution and balance. A visit to tire manuf. website should let you determine correct air pressure for your coach weight.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Jim
2015 Bay Star 3124
jrbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 9,689
The relatively small difference in weight between the old and new tires is not enough to matter. IMHO.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 9,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbarber View Post
Tom, I don't know if there's any benefit to weighing the coach before or after new tires but definitely weigh your coach. I weigh front axle, all axles and left axles (too close to building for right axle) so I can calculate individual wheel weights. Then I can shift cargo for proper weight distribution and balance. A visit to tire manuf. website should let you determine correct air pressure for your coach weight.

Hope that helps.
I use a scale that has a wall close on one side. We pull out after doing the one side, turn around and enter from the other direction to pick up the other side. YMMV.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
D Lindy's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,517
Weighing before or after new tires is not the critical item.It's critical that when you do weigh to have the coach loaded as you would for your trip, i.e. full fuel tanks, at least 1/2 a tank of fresh water, cloths, food, and all the rest of the gear you plan on having with you.
__________________
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
cwj212's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 179
We had ours weighed through the Escapees when we were in Florida. They did an excellent job. They also measured the height of the coach and checked the tow bar and connections on my toad. When he was done he filled out a form and explained the findings. I highly recommend it. It was $50 and worth it.


Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
__________________
Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncruiser 35P
cwj212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 1,076
Do as I did. Call the State Patrol truck inspection department. The WI State Patrol came to my home with their scales and weighed all six positions. No charge and said they were happy to help out.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwise View Post
Does anyone have experience in having their motor home weighed. I am getting ready to purchase a new set of tires on my 2001 new to me discovery and have heard it is a good idea to have it weighed first.
tomwise,
Just wondering, you say you've HEARD it's a good idea to get it weighed before purchasing the new tires? May I ask WHERE you heard this? I mean, we've had motor homes for decades and have purchased lots of tires for them and, have never been advised to get the coach weighed before changing tires. About 99.9999999999999% of the time, you simply purchase the same size, and load rating that was on the coach in the first place.

Second, you can get it weighed at multiple places. Some ideas here would be:

1. Moving van and storage places (those scales have to be certified)
2. Recycle yards in many municipalities.
3. Many truck stops
4. Many border check points (if you have one semi-close to you)

And there's more. I would't worry too much about the four corner thing at this point if all you want is basic weight.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
We had ours weighed through the Escapees when we were in Florida. They did an excellent job. They also measured the height of the coach and checked the tow bar and connections on my toad. When he was done he filled out a form and explained the findings. I highly recommend it. It was $50 and worth it.


Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Thanks, They are in Tampa, correct?
__________________
Tom Wise
Rome, Ga
tomwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
tomwise,
Just wondering, you say you've HEARD it's a good idea to get it weighed before purchasing the new tires? May I ask WHERE you heard this? I mean, we've had motor homes for decades and have purchased lots of tires for them and, have never been advised to get the coach weighed before changing tires. About 99.9999999999999% of the time, you simply purchase the same size, and load rating that was on the coach in the first place.

Second, you can get it weighed at multiple places. Some ideas here would be:

1. Moving van and storage places (those scales have to be certified)
2. Recycle yards in many municipalities.
3. Many truck stops
4. Many border check points (if you have one semi-close to you)

And there's more. I would't worry too much about the four corner thing at this point if all you want is basic weight.
Scott
Thanks. I was considering replacing the 7 year old Michelin's with a Toyo or a Hankook. I thought it would be good to know the corner weight before i chose a specific tire. I'm beginning to lean toward biting the bullet and buying the much more expensive Michelin's,
__________________
Tom Wise
Rome, Ga
tomwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 1,258
Here's a link to an organization that does weighing--- their location/schedule is in one of the tabs. Wheel Position Weighing
__________________
2013 DS 4338
2015 F-150 toad with kayaks,bicycles and a Harley in the back
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
Member
 
Blandry29's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 36
Had ours done by "Weigh-to-Go". Based in Lake Havasau AZ, but they are on the road most of the summer (schedule posted on their website). He will even change his route to weigh your rig if it's reasonably close. He did a great job, gave me a computerized printout with each wheel/axle, specs for my rig, even checked the pressure in all the tires. Very reasonable also. RV Scales | Weigh To Go, LLC
__________________
Bob - Folsom CA
2008 Fleetwood Southwind 35A, Workhorse W-22 8.1
Acme EZE Tow Dolly - 2007 Honda Odyssey
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwise View Post
Thanks. I was considering replacing the 7 year old Michelin's with a Toyo or a Hankook. I thought it would be good to know the corner weight before i chose a specific tire. I'm beginning to lean toward biting the bullet and buying the much more expensive Michelin's,
do your homework. A lot of people have had issues with Michelins getting sidewall cracking at a young age.
__________________

__________________
bill h
06 Windsor PRQ, ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire inflation after weighing motorhome Larryhobby Class C Motorhome Discussions 9 01-10-2015 08:23 AM
Weighing our rigs for setting air pressures Max Hubrich Class A Motorhome Discussions 30 01-28-2009 03:52 PM
Advice on weighing motorhome comp-time Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 05-27-2008 07:16 PM
Weighing extra generator options RWaldbart Truck Camper Discussion 11 04-30-2008 09:00 AM
Weighing Your Motorhome Colesmeister Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 01-03-2006 10:46 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.