Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

weighing a motorhome

Does anyone have experience in having their motor home weighed. I am getting ready to purchase a new set of tires on my 2001 new to me discovery and have heard it is a good idea to have it weighed first.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Cheapest way to go is to find a truck stop with segmented scales, that also has wide enough margins on either side of the scale to allow you to position only one side of the coach on the scale at a time. Using two different segments for the front vs rear wheels and weighing only one side at a time will give you a good 4-corner weigh. You can weight each axle but it doesn't give you the individual corners....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tom, I don't know if there's any benefit to weighing the coach before or after new tires but definitely weigh your coach. I weigh front axle, all axles and left axles (too close to building for right axle) so I can calculate individual wheel weights. Then I can shift cargo for proper weight distribution and balance. A visit to tire manuf. website should let you determine correct air pressure for your coach weight.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The relatively small difference in weight between the old and new tires is not enough to matter. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbarber View Post
Tom, I don't know if there's any benefit to weighing the coach before or after new tires but definitely weigh your coach. I weigh front axle, all axles and left axles (too close to building for right axle) so I can calculate individual wheel weights. Then I can shift cargo for proper weight distribution and balance. A visit to tire manuf. website should let you determine correct air pressure for your coach weight.

Hope that helps.
I use a scale that has a wall close on one side. We pull out after doing the one side, turn around and enter from the other direction to pick up the other side. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Weighing before or after new tires is not the critical item.It's critical that when you do weigh to have the coach loaded as you would for your trip, i.e. full fuel tanks, at least 1/2 a tank of fresh water, cloths, food, and all the rest of the gear you plan on having with you.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We had ours weighed through the Escapees when we were in Florida. They did an excellent job. They also measured the height of the coach and checked the tow bar and connections on my toad. When he was done he filled out a form and explained the findings. I highly recommend it. It was $50 and worth it.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Old 08-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Do as I did. Call the State Patrol truck inspection department. The WI State Patrol came to my home with their scales and weighed all six positions. No charge and said they were happy to help out.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwise View Post
Does anyone have experience in having their motor home weighed. I am getting ready to purchase a new set of tires on my 2001 new to me discovery and have heard it is a good idea to have it weighed first.
tomwise,
Just wondering, you say you've HEARD it's a good idea to get it weighed before purchasing the new tires? May I ask WHERE you heard this? I mean, we've had motor homes for decades and have purchased lots of tires for them and, have never been advised to get the coach weighed before changing tires. About 99.9999999999999% of the time, you simply purchase the same size, and load rating that was on the coach in the first place.

Second, you can get it weighed at multiple places. Some ideas here would be:

1. Moving van and storage places (those scales have to be certified)
2. Recycle yards in many municipalities.
3. Many truck stops
4. Many border check points (if you have one semi-close to you)

And there's more. I would't worry too much about the four corner thing at this point if all you want is basic weight.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
We had ours weighed through the Escapees when we were in Florida. They did an excellent job. They also measured the height of the coach and checked the tow bar and connections on my toad. When he was done he filled out a form and explained the findings. I highly recommend it. It was $50 and worth it.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Thanks, They are in Tampa, correct?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
tomwise,
Just wondering, you say you've HEARD it's a good idea to get it weighed before purchasing the new tires? May I ask WHERE you heard this? I mean, we've had motor homes for decades and have purchased lots of tires for them and, have never been advised to get the coach weighed before changing tires. About 99.9999999999999% of the time, you simply purchase the same size, and load rating that was on the coach in the first place.

Second, you can get it weighed at multiple places. Some ideas here would be:

1. Moving van and storage places (those scales have to be certified)
2. Recycle yards in many municipalities.
3. Many truck stops
4. Many border check points (if you have one semi-close to you)

And there's more. I would't worry too much about the four corner thing at this point if all you want is basic weight.
Scott
Thanks. I was considering replacing the 7 year old Michelin's with a Toyo or a Hankook. I thought it would be good to know the corner weight before i chose a specific tire. I'm beginning to lean toward biting the bullet and buying the much more expensive Michelin's,
Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #12

Here's a link to an organization that does weighing--- their location/schedule is in one of the tabs. Wheel Position Weighing
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had ours done by "Weigh-to-Go". Based in Lake Havasau AZ, but they are on the road most of the summer (schedule posted on their website). He will even change his route to weigh your rig if it's reasonably close. He did a great job, gave me a computerized printout with each wheel/axle, specs for my rig, even checked the pressure in all the tires. Very reasonable also. RV Scales | Weigh To Go, LLC
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwise View Post
Thanks. I was considering replacing the 7 year old Michelin's with a Toyo or a Hankook. I thought it would be good to know the corner weight before i chose a specific tire. I'm beginning to lean toward biting the bullet and buying the much more expensive Michelin's,
do your homework. A lot of people have had issues with Michelins getting sidewall cracking at a young age.

windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome