Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #15

I just set my tires for max pressure and be done with it. What do you guys change pressure everytime you add/subtract items?

Carl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by loranimal:
I just set my tires for max pressure and be done with it. What do you guys change pressure everytime you add/subtract items?

Carl
Unless you do major changes (hundreds of pounds of payload), your tire weights won't change much.

Just setting it to max pressure isn't a good idea. Handling is affected if the tire is too hard, and the ride is usually much worse. Just load up with your "normal" stuff, weigh it, and round up to the next weight line in the chart. That gives you some leeway for payload changes.

joe

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #17

Quote:
As important as correct weights are, I have often wondered why places like Camping World and other RV service centers do not have portable platform scales.
Mostly because of cost, my scales cost $3,700 each almost 5 years ago, and now are $4,300 each. It takes a long time to recoup the cost of the scales.

1999 International 4700 Low pro
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Weight is not static in an RV fresh/waste water levels, fuel, and other things.

SOOOOooo

Just two readings, front and rear is fine.
We have found as much as 2,400 pounds heavier on one side of a axle over the other side. The owner had tire failures on the heavy side and blamed the tires until I weighed him and showed that it was not the tires that failed, it was the owner that failed the tires. Under inflated for the load carried. And he had been over a Cat scale and felt confident he was fine on the weights. Weighing each wheel position shows how hard the tires are working.

1999 International 4700 Low pro
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by loranimal:

Carl
Quoting Michelin's RV Tire Guide below.

"The Importance of Tire Pressure"

"The most important factor in maintaining the life of your tires is making sure they are always properly inflated. Incorrect air pressure for the weight of the vehicle is dangerous and could cause things like premature wear, tire damage, a harsh ride and even loss of control of the vehicle."

"You see, an underinflated or overloaded tire will build up more heat that could go beyond the endurance limits of the rubber and radial cords. This could cause sudden tire failure. Underinfaltion will also cause poor handling, faster and/or irregular tire wear, and can decrease fuel economy."

"Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire's contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that's overinflated for the weight it's carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."

Source: http://www.michelinrvtires.com.../pdf/RV_Brochure.pdf

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
weighit,

Very interesting comment.

I appreciate all the input from you folks.

I'll weigh each wheel individually and go from there. Yes, I'll take the heaviest side weight and use the charts to set all tires on that axle.

Any ideas why Camping World and RV repair shops don't weigh wheels individually? or do they?

Cheers
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Max, I believe "weighit" hit the nail on the head, CW just doesn't want to spend the $$$. Lots of RV operators don't understand the importance of matching weights to tire pressurers.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hubrich:
weighit,
I'll weigh each wheel individually and go from there. Yes, I'll take the heaviest side weight and use the charts to set all tires on that axle. Cheers
Am I missing something? When I had Monaco weight my coach in Sept. they weighted each wheel and set each tire pressure based on their chart...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Yes all tires on the same axle must have the same air pressure.

If left is 4000 and right is 4500, set pressure based on 9000 not 8500.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom N

Since we are neighbors 'of sorts' (Butler, PA)would you be able to direct me to a scale around this area that I could weigh my coach wheels individually? Last time I did it was when I bought it in NY and weighed it at a CAT scale near North East, PA. 2 years ago, but they had the scale set up so you could not get on with one wheel. Thanks.

'05 Suncruiser 37B W24

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Butler, PA;

I live south off 356.

Without searching out a local moving company or calling the PA State Police and ask if they have a portable scale setup that you could use I have no idea where you could get weighed.

You could go to the iRV2 National Rally in Ohio in June and get wheel weights there on Sunday.

My motorhome is very similar to yours. From my axle weights I use 95# all around and ride is very good.

In 2007 Elliott Truck Tires (Michelin truck tire dealer) in Butler, PA replaced both front tires under warranty. Bill Elliott wanted me to use 90# all around. Bill has a Bluebird MH and is very knowledgeable on RV tire pressures.

FWIW, I've been searching for a single wheel scale for sometime. If I find one at a reasonable price I'll buy it.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:

But wouldn't that cause the "light tire" to wear differently. I would think that if each tire is aired according to the weight load on the tire it would wear better.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by cb5300:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:

But wouldn't that cause the "light tire" to wear differently. I would think that if each tire is aired according to the weight load on the tire it would wear better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might be true, but for proper handling of the chassis, you need all tires on an axle to be at the same pressure. That's specifically called out in the Michelin brochure that I have, and (as I recall) in the Spartan owner's manual as well. When I had my coach weighed at Spartan last fall, I discussed this with them. They were very clear on that point.

You also need to make sure you're inflated to AT LEAST the minimum listed pressure for that tire. With dual mains and a tag, I wasn't anywhere near the weight listed for the minimum pressure (on the mains) until Spartan adjusted my tag axle to shift weight onto the mains.

joe
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally posted by mygrayhound:

Since we are neighbors 'of sorts' (Butler, PA)would you be able to direct me to a scale around this area that I could weigh my coach wheels individually?
Hi neighbor I didn't realize you were from Butler....I live about 2 miles out of town myself.

I really believe having 4 corner weights of a motorhome is important as we know with the slide arrangement on many rigs, weights are not equal side to side.

As Tom mentioned, why not think about attending the 2009 national rally next June. The rally team has arranged for the use of portable electronic scales that we will be using during the check in process to weigh rigs. As long as I can round up a couple volunteers to help me out, I don't anticipate any issue even reweighing rigs if folks want to make changes or adjustments in their loading and getting re-weighted.