Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #29

Quote:
"Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire's contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that's overinflated for the weight it's carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."
These kinds of assertions make me wonder about what the author is thinking, Michelin publicist or no.

To change the traction of a tire the only variable of any significance is the weight on that tire. This assumes working within the nominal pressure range and on a surface that isn't excessively soft or slick.

I can see the issues about a harder ride and about a potential for tire wear or impact but the handling assertion runs afoul of what I hear about the preferences of performance drivers.

As noted in this thread, there is a lot of variability and the need for really accurate measure is not very high. It can be fun but can also be misleading and the worries about getting pressure just right can be stress inducing.

It should also be noted that a bias should be towards higher pressure as that is safer because low pressure means heating and heating is a primary cause of tire failure.

Perhaps the easiest way to keep an eye on tire pressures on the road is with an IR thermometer (I see HF has these on sale, cheap). Your tires shouldn't run over 150F or so and they should all be about the same temperature. If one is running hot, then add air to it.

Also keep an eye on tread wear. That will provide information about gross anomalies.

I do know that the idea of inflating to max sidewall rating is good advice for TT's - but that is partially because the tire should be rated fairly close to max load anyway.

But it is always a good idea to know your weight and to know if your rig is imbalanced, so a weighing is a good thing on occasion. But don't let it get into messing with your head!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by BryanL:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire's contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that's overinflated for the weight it's carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."
These kinds of assertions make me wonder about what the author is thinking, Michelin publicist or no.

To change the traction of a tire the only variable of any significance is the weight on that tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over-inflate simply means less rubber in contact with the road. Proof is, the center of the tire wears more than the edges.

A trick some use for better mileage because rolling friction is less. Less rolling friction means less rubber in contact with the road. Less rubber in contact with the road means reduced traction and reduced braking ability as Michelin's RV Tire Guide states. Physics 101.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Tom N & Joe-K

Thanks to you both for the invite-I think we could make that (June). If there's anything approaching the information I've gathered from this site at the rally-it would be worth attending!

Tom, correct, our units are very similar. Love mine! (I tried to put up a pic-but it didn't work). I keep my tires at 100lb. front and 95lb rear. Seems to be fine there (never hot) but would like to do each corner just to be sure.
Thanks,
Gene

'05 Suncruiser 37B W24
(I'm 10 miles south of Butler just off Rt. 8)

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote