Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Weighing Procedure for Class A RV With New Tires

Could someone please provide me with a step by step procedure of how to weigh my RV with new tires so that I can inflate at the proper pressures?
Thanks
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
KJD

Here is how I do it . Go to the nearest cat scales . Wait till it is your turn read the signs and follow them . Tell the clerk on the speaker it a private sale follow her directions . Pull off the scale park out of the way . Go in pay . Easy peazy.
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Go to a truck stop with a CAT Scale ( they're guaranteed 100% accurate) drive onto the scale platforms with the whole coach, stopping with the front tires on 1 platform and the rear axle on a different platform. Try to stop with your window as close to the speaker box as possible to call the desk clerk inside. After you've weighed, drive around and re-enter the scales again, this time with the right side tires OFF the right side of the scale if possible, then call the desk again telling them that this is a "Re-weigh. Once you have both tickets subtract the weights from the single right side tire weigh and you'll have individual tire weighs for all for corners.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cat scales can usually only give you axle weights, not the actual "corner" weights that are needed for accuracy. You need to find a scale that allows one wheel location to be weighed at a time. MH's are not usually balanced side to side so sometimes one end of an axle can be 2,000#'s heavier than the other. A single axle weight will get the total correct but not the one side being heavier. Then, once you get the weights correct you consult the tire manufacturers charts and use the HIGHEST weight on the axle to set the pressure on all tires on that axle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

Escapees has 4 corning weighing at several of their parks. We just had ours done at Sumter Oaks in Bushnell FL. Other of the campgrounds do it. If you go to any rallies there might me a copany that can do a 4 corner weigh.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cat scales can usually only give you axle weights, not the actual "corner" weights that are needed for accuracy. You need to find a scale that allows one wheel location to be weighed at a time. MH's are not usually balanced side to side so sometimes one end of an axle can be 2,000#'s heavier than the other. A single axle weight will get the total correct but not the one side being heavier. Then, once you get the weights correct you consult the tire manufacturers charts and use the HIGHEST weight on the axle to set the pressure on all tires on that axle.

How can you get 2000# more on one corner?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #7

Escapees is the way to go. Easy and very friendly group of folks..Check where you can get it done. We did ours in FL at a campground.
nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
What has not been mentioned is the need to have your coach properly prepared before your weights are measured. Your fuel tank should be full, your holding tanks full to your fresh water capacity and the coach should be loaded to its typical travel weight, including all passengers. If your coach is not loaded to its travel weight your weights will be inaccurate and your tires underinflated.

Without knowing where you are located there may be other scale options.
  • RV Rallies: Many of the large RV rallies have coach weight services available. We've had ours weighed at FMCA rallies but I have also seen weighing services at Good Sam and other rallies. They typically run about $70 and they provide you with a written report and the recommended correct air pressure for each tire.
  • Tire & Suspension Shops: Some tire and alignment shops have weigh scales. Tony's Tire from the LA area came out to a small Newmar rally near Joshua Tree last spring and did free weigh-ins. You can also take your coach to one of their shops to have it done. I think they charge $25. The chassi shop that is currently working on my coach also has portable scales to facilitate their suspension services.
  • Closed Government Weight Scales: Some government scales, like here in British Columbia, remain active and usable even when they are closed. At some of the scales in this area you can drive on and use them at any time when the Weigh Station is closed. The weights are displayed on a large LED readout and you can take your time to maneuver around and weigh each corner and axle. Best of all, this option is free.
It is important that you weigh each corner and the tag separately if your rig has on. You then have to look up the weight and air pressure table for your tires and determine the correct weight for the heaviest tire on each axle.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #9

Well, TMW188, if your propane tank, entire kitchen slide including residential fridge, batteries, inverters, and DEF tank are on one side of the coach, then it will be a lot heavier.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Weighing Procedure for Class A RV With New Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Well, TMW188, if your propane tank, entire kitchen slide including residential fridge, batteries, inverters, and DEF tank are on one side of the coach, then it will be a lot heavier.

I get that but 2000# on a corner seemed to be a lot.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Being a ton heavy in one corner does not surprise me, especially if the owner is new to RVs.

When we first loaded up our new coach I stuffed everything heavy in the easiest to access storage bays, all towards the front curb corner. Tools, winter chains, jugs of extra fluids and more. I don't recall what the corner weights were for that first weigh-in but the front right corner was heavy - very heavy. Thus I started learning about weight distribution and pretty much all of the heavy items are now as far back as possible but our basement and floorplan configuration ensures that the coach will always be curb heavy to some degree.

Tags
class a, tires