Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Weighing your rig

Purchased a preowned DP a couple of months ago. Been doing short trips with minimal gear and have been comfortable that my tire pressure is more than adequate. However, will being loading up the rig for a long summer trip shortly and will do a four point weighing to better set my tire pressure. Should I weigh with the toad attached (but obviouly not on the scale) or detached? Any recommendations!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Detached as there is really not any weight induced by the toad. Also you should weigh your toad separately to see what your combined is.

Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Getting 4 corners weight has been a real problem for me. Haven't got it done yet. HOWEVER...

If you can find a truck maintenance place that uses VIS-CHECK you can get it done there.

VIS-CHECK vis-check | VisCheck Service Automation

This can be a two-fer. The system is an undercarriage diagnostic tool that can check steering linkage, braking system and stuff like that. No, it doesn't do wheel alignment.

My local International truck dealer has one a will let me run my rig over it for getting the weight only for $25 and $50 gets me the full diagnostics. I'll probably opt for the full diagnostics. Some places will waive the fee if it shows you need work done and have it done there.

As long as you have your tow bar on the rig, I don't see how having the toad also attached makes much of a difference there. What I am considering doing is running my rig through the VIS-CHECK and when done, attach the toad and run over to a near by CAT scale to cross check the rig weight and then get the toad weight. If it all cross checks, my total front and rear axle weights should match the VC system withing a few pounds. If there were some major change to my rear weight caused by the toad set up, I will be able to see that. Again, I just don't see how a hitch weight distributed between the rig and the toad will change wheel weights on the rig to any serious degree.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Around there the DOT leaves the scales on even when the scale houses are closed. The readout is in front of the rig so you can see it without ever getting out. Most scales are wide/level enough to get four "corner" weights too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #5

The CAT scales found at many truck stops will do not just axle weight, but can do 4 corners for you. You make 2 passes. The first pass (mine was 9.00) you do normally, getting the weights for each axle. Then you request a second pass (for 1 dollar extra!). This time, as you are pulling on to the scales you leave one side on the 4' solid section going down each side of the scales, leaving just one side of the coach on the scales.

With these 2 weight slips and some simple math, you can have your 4 corner weights for 10.00 or so? I would suggest you do this loaded so there's no guessing about how much extra you're carrying that way, but that's just me.

Note that the scale help is not always going to be real helpful. Actually they can be clueless when it comes to the 4 corner thing. It's not something they're asked to do normally. Just check out the different platforms that the scales consist of while you're pulling up onto it the first time. The second pass, make sure you stop with your axles on 2 different sections. Makes NO difference which ones. The second slip will then have 2 weights on it. That's all you care about.