Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Weight and Balance - What are your Axle Weights?

I'm trying to get some real life feedback on actual weight and balance issues. In particular I hope you can share your RV published GVWR, gross axle weight front and rear along with what your respective weights typically are and if you are loaded for full time or part time.

As an example, these are my current numbers:

2006 Winnebago 38J
Workhorse W24 front gas
GVWR 24,000 - Actual 23,530
GAWR - Front 9,000 Actual 8,350
GAWR - Rear 15,500 Actual 15,180
Part time, full water, LP, fuel and stuff for 2 people, 2 big dogs for up to a week. Options include Combo W/D in bedroom.

If you want to toss in L & R numbers...go for it.

My primary goal is to see if there is a tendency for single axle DP chassis to be so rear heavy (like my current RV) that loading it for FT is difficult without dumping water. I'm not personally interested in GCWR and actual but if you want to toss that out...go for it and include info on dingy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

The GCWR is the key number when computing your tow capacity.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
The GCWR is the key number when computing your tow capacity.
True, that isn't my main goal because that is easy to figure out. What I'm trying to see is realistic distribution of front to rear axle weights. The problem with my RV (similar to many others) is that it seems most non-tag rear axles max out well ahead of the front axle. So, if one has a typical 38-40' DP with 20,000 GAWR, how much of that is used? Manufacturers are good in providing required info but not so much for real weight.

As another example, my RV had the proper weight information and even provided CCC information. The problem was that they didn't provide how it was currently balanced. As delivered from the factory it said I had 1617 lbs of CCC after full fuel, water and LP. It didn't provide actual axle weights under those conditions. At the time I bought it, I doubt I would have been smart enough to understand the implications of any numbers they provided anyway. I understand this better now.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just had ours weighed mainly to see what capacity we had left, and to see how we were left/right side. and was considering having a motorcyle lift installed on the rear.
36ft DP
FRT GAWR 10,410 ACTUAL 8,700 (L-4200 R-4500)
REAR GAWR 17,500 ACTUAL 15,250 (7750 R-7500)
GVWR 27910 Actual 23950

my left/right is just off a little on each axle. this was with full tanks, and loaded for weekend use for 2.

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
36ft DP
FRT GAWR 10,410 ACTUAL 8,700 (L-4200 R-4500)
REAR GAWR 17,500 ACTUAL 15,250 (7750 R-7500)
GVWR 27910 Actual 23950
PERFECT...see,that helps me get a feel for how much room there is back there and it looks like you have a bunch (2250#) that can go on the back axle. You have the basement AC too so other similar sized DPs might have even less on the rear?

THANKS!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

40 ft DP (see signature)
Part timer (5-6 months consecutive plus occasional use otherwise)
Generally travel with a lot of gear and 50% or more fresh water and two people

GVWR: 34,600
Front GAWR: 14,600 Actual: 12,700
Rear GAWR: 20,000 Actual: 19,700

Toad: 5000 lbs
GCWR: 46,600
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

2004 Rexhall 37
Spartan MM /Cummins ISC
GVWR - 31,000 Actual - 27,500
GAWR - Front 12,000. Actual - 9,548
GAWR - Rear 19,000 - Actual - 17,952
GCWR - 41,000

Full-Time. 2people, 2dogs, 75% water, full fuel & LP
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Weekender weight
October 2004 with 75 gal fuel, 3/4 lp, 50 gal water, pilot & co-pilot, 2 weeks clothing
lf=5,500 … rf=5,000
Front GAWR = 10,500 ... remaining 1,500
(12k)
lr=9,200 … rr=9,300
Rear GAWR18,500 ... remaining 1,500
(20k)
GVWR = 29,000 … remaining CCC=3,000
(32k)
----------------------------
Fulltimer weight
April 2006 with apx 80 gal fuel, 3/4 lp, 70 gal fresh water 583 lb, 30 gal black water 249 lb, pilot & co-pilot, full-timing “stuff”)
lf=5,900 … rf=5,600
Front GAWR = 11,500 ... remaining 500
(12k)
lr=9,600 … rr=10,410
Rear GAWR 20,010 ... over 10 lb (reduce fresh water)
(20k)
GVWR = 31,510 … remaining CCC=490
(32k)

NOTE:
Basement ac, 5 batteries, and bed slide out on right rear
Long galley slide on left front
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello All,
As you can tell from my Sig, I am a real newbeeeee. I do not fully understand what all of the numbers mean, all of the Gv and Ga and so on.
I guess you weigh the coach before you fill the tanks and belonging, then weigh it after you fill the tanks (do you fill the grey and black tanks with water?) and load your belongings? I have already located a CAT SCALE in my area, but not sure what I will be looking for.
Are the numbers the Manuf publishes the max you can load into the coach?

Thanks for your input. We will get our coach the end of Oct.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here is my data, see attached pdfs for better resolution if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weight Label.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	25402   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 corners.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	25403  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weight Label.pdf (73.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 4 Corners.pdf (21.1 KB, 14 views)
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MFG numbers can be VERY confusing. Try to get the CHASSIS recomendation. then have your MH weighed (perferably all 4 cornors). We had our weighed on CAT scales and it is helpful but really only gives you Front and rear total weight. By having each wheel weighed you will be better able to load your MH for best weight distribution. Our Damon tuscany had 1000 lbs more on passenger side rear? Why? Gally, refrig, furnance. We moved what we could and now I have only 128 lbs more on the passenger side. Had to move a lot of stuff to driver side. Having each wheel weight also helps in tire inflation. Good Luck. ed
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
Hello All,
As you can tell from my Sig, I am a real newbeeeee. I do not fully understand what all of the numbers mean, all of the Gv and Ga and so on....
Welcome to IRV and we look forward to some great pics on your new rig.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating...the MAX your rig should weigh.
GCWR = GVWR plus weight of toad.
GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating...the most weight you should have on any axle.

As to what to weigh...my personal philosophy is first weigh it right after you pick it up with full fuel, LP and water with just yourself and your co-pilot on board. This will give you a great starting point on figuring out what and where your weight is. It also gives you a chance to compare what you have vs what the manufacturer says you should have. This works real well if you don't have the dealer add anything after delivery. If they do, then the manufacturer's weight info will not be accurate. Don't forget to work on getting all 4/6 corner weights. 4 wheel weights unless you have a tag then 6.

I would then re-weigh it every time you start to add weight to it. That means after you get it stocked up with all the goodies like tools, food, clothes, spouse, dogs, and all the other stuff you will carry for your normal use. If you are only planning weekends, load accordingly.

When you weigh it after each major addition it will give you a chance to make sure you don't overload an axle and also help you figure out how to balance it left to right also. You will then have to decide as you go along your own philosophy on whether you plan to carry full water or not.

Normally you don't want to carry black or grey water but sometimes you do just because it is easier in some cases. I would suggest that you consider intentionally weighing your RV fully loaded with black & grey tanks at least 1/2 full and maybe even with full fresh water. Be careful when you do that and if you have done all your homework you should know if you should even try to do this. Why do this? If you find yourself with a place with fresh water but no easy way to dump, you may need to drive to a dump station. The scenario is that you left home with full fresh and empty black/grey. Used the CG fresh water thus did not empty any of your own fresh water an found you had a lot of waste in those tanks. I did that without really thinking about it and maxed out my rear axle. It was a good thing I used +5 PSI in my rear wheels so that I wasn't under inflated.

I know...I'm kinda anal about weight and balance.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
MFG numbers can be VERY confusing. Try to get the CHASSIS recomendation. then have your MH weighed (perferably all 4 cornors). We had our weighed on CAT scales and it is helpful but really only gives you Front and rear total weight. ...
You can get 4 corners at a CAT scale. Go into the office and tell them you are going to weigh it 2 times. The first will be normal with front wheels on pad 1 (front axle) and rear on pad 2 (rear axle). If you have a tag that will need to be on pad 3 (Trailer). Then, you will need to exit the scale by either backing entirely off of it or going through and coming around again. Then...position yourself so that either the right or left wheels are centered on the pad and you put your front wheels on pad 2 and rear on pad 3. (not sure what to do with the tag at this point.) Have them weigh you again. When done you will need to back up a bit so you can get through the arch. If you coordinate this all at the office, they will keep an eye out for you and get that second weighing without you getting out of the RV to yell at the speaker.

Once you get back to the office they should charge you for a weigh and a re-wiegh. That has cost me in my area about $9.50 total. Now you just need to get a calculator out. The first weight slip will have your total axle weight. Subtract the single wheel weights of the second weighing from the total axle weights and you now have 4 corners. I'm thinking that you could use the rear left-right weight percentages to approximate the tag axle's left-right balance if needed.

Sound more complicated than it is. Just make sure you brief the weigh master and try to do this when the scale isn't busy and it will go just fine.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Here is my data, see attached pdfs for better resolution if needed.
LOVE IT! I'm gonna copy your diagram. That being said, it looks like you are in the same situation as I am...not much left you can put on the rear axle.

Tags
weight