Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #1

Hi all.

I was looking at the Winnebago View/Itasca Navio, for the small size and gas miliage. It looks like the payload, after adding manufacturer's additions, fuel, water, propane and my wife and I is a couple of hundred pounds.

Even if I forget about my guitar and amp, my wife's art stuff (pastels are heavy), and two bicycles, this doesn't sound like much. Has anyone ever worked up a weight budget for stuff? Like:
- food
- kitchen ware, cookware and utensils
- blankets, sheets, pillows, towels
- clothes - incl. jackets, shoes, etc.
- daypacks, boots, hiking sticks
- cleaning supplies and equip.
- wine, hard and soft drinks
- toiletries, bath supplies
- a few paperbacks and field guides
- tools
- misc.

My guess is that, as apealing (and sorta cute) as these units are, they just won't work for us, especially since we want to go out for a couple of months at a time. But, if someone had estimated some of the weights of things, it would help a lot. I did an estimate which was several hundred pounds over, but I may be high (or low!).

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #2

Hi all.

I was looking at the Winnebago View/Itasca Navio, for the small size and gas miliage. It looks like the payload, after adding manufacturer's additions, fuel, water, propane and my wife and I is a couple of hundred pounds.

Even if I forget about my guitar and amp, my wife's art stuff (pastels are heavy), and two bicycles, this doesn't sound like much. Has anyone ever worked up a weight budget for stuff? Like:
- food
- kitchen ware, cookware and utensils
- blankets, sheets, pillows, towels
- clothes - incl. jackets, shoes, etc.
- daypacks, boots, hiking sticks
- cleaning supplies and equip.
- wine, hard and soft drinks
- toiletries, bath supplies
- a few paperbacks and field guides
- tools
- misc.

My guess is that, as apealing (and sorta cute) as these units are, they just won't work for us, especially since we want to go out for a couple of months at a time. But, if someone had estimated some of the weights of things, it would help a lot. I did an estimate which was several hundred pounds over, but I may be high (or low!).

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Old 07-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I couldn't find a "dry weight" spec for the View, but you can look at the RVIA sticker if you visit a dealer and look at one. The GVWR is small, though, so I'm not surprised the carrying capacity is tiny.

Perhaps you won't carry a full water tank (seldom any need for a lot of water) and maybe the RVIA sticker shows a "sleeping capacity" of 4 and thus an extra 308 lbs there that you could use for carrying "stuff".

Nobody's personal loading numbers are of value to anybody else becasue there is too much variation. Howver, most everybody is surprised how it ads up. If you think it's a bit too small, it is probably FAR too small.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The other problem with capacity is where it is located. For example, I have over 2,000 lbs but all of the empty compartments are close to the front of the vehicle - and the front axle that is nearly at it's limit. I've learned that adding 100 pounds behind the copilot's chair doesn't exctly translate to add 100 pounds of additional weight on the right front wheel but there is a strong relationship between where weight is placed and the wheels that it influnces. It is important that you understand whether the items that you plan to carry in the places that you plan to carry them will keep you "between the lines" in all of the various weight carrying parameters.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The weight limits posted assume you are traveling with full tanks. I have a 75 gal. fresh water tank in my MH. I normally travel with about 20 gal. so I have some for use while driving and then either get hookups or fill up when I have reached the destination. 55 Gal of fresh water not carried increases my cargo capacity by about 450 pounds. There are a few ways to save on weight.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote