Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
This might be the most ridiculous question ever posed here. What do you think the dangers might be? The upside? Wow.
Did you bother to read past the first post?

The OP was concerned about the weight of the coach because her fiancé had devised a plan to bring along 9 friends and all their stuff on some sort of RV adventure. She obviously had concerns about overloading the coach and he probably said it was nothing to worry about. She, most likely, asked the question to gain knowledge in order to have an informed discussion with him about the matter.

Not everyone knows, or cares, about the risks of traveling in an overweight RV, as evidenced by estimates that 60% of RV’s on the road are overweight.

Kudos to her for asking, learning and talking some sense into her fiancé.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Love your response(#2), Dark Sky. Dead on (pun intended) and oh so true. Death is result of human stupidity.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #59

There are no stupid questions. Ask questions and learn something new every day. But clearly, stupid answers are a real possibility.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
Love your response(#2), Dark Sky. Dead on (pun intended) and oh so true. Death is result of human stupidity.
Oh, if only that was true.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #61
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
There are no stupid questions. Ask questions and learn something new every day. But clearly, stupid answers are a real possibility.
Well put. If you don't have anything nice to say or helpful, well, go ask your mom what to do.

Ray
Old 08-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #62

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post

I sort of agree but do wish that more people learned how to use the "search" function on forums as many questions have already been answered more than once. Also, learn how to efficiently use Google.

My problem is that I simply do not have the time to answer the same question multiple times a week.

For example "How much air do I need in my tires?"

When it comes to Motorhome tires and inflation it doesn't make any difference if your MH is blue of silver. The way to learn how much air the tires need is the same. Without making a minimal effort to learn what to do and simply expecting someone to give you the proper answer i.e. "You need to inflate your tires to 94.565 psi" is not the correct answer.

The saying about teaching someone how to fish rather than just giving them the fish applies here.

How do we "teach" people that they need to learn how to search the Internet as the answer to most questions is already there?
Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #63
NXR

While searching can be valuable I'm certain everyone has gotten bad info, outdated info, or just confusing answers because the writer is not matched to the understanding level of the reader. Sometimes it's correct to re-ask the question based on your circumstances.

Personally, I think you should be paid by the post. I've learned a tremendous amount from you and your blog.

Ray
Old 08-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I sort of agree but do wish that more people learned how to use the "search" function on forums as many questions have already been answered more than once. Also, learn how to efficiently use Google.

My problem is that I simply do not have the time to answer the same question multiple times a week.

For example "How much air do I need in my tires?"

When it comes to Motorhome tires and inflation it doesn't make any difference if your MH is blue of silver. The way to learn how much air the tires need is the same. Without making a minimal effort to learn what to do and simply expecting someone to give you the proper answer i.e. "You need to inflate your tires to 94.565 psi" is not the correct answer.

The saying about teaching someone how to fish rather than just giving them the fish applies here.

How do we "teach" people that they need to learn how to search the Internet as the answer to most questions is already there?
Well, somehow you managed to find time to post a response without answering the original question.

Oddly enough, this forum is part of the internet and the OP was successful in obtaining answers to her question.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #65

I've stated it before, but it bears repeating. All of us had to study the traffic laws, pass a written test and demonstrate to a driving inspector our ability to drive a car safely before getting a driver's license. Then some of us who wanted to operate a commercial vehicle had to do more studying, take another test and demonstrate not only our ability to operate that vehicle, but also how to inspect the brakes and keep the unit safe. If you want a motorcycle endorsement, it's another written and driving test. Why is it that all you have to do to legally drive a motorhome weighing over ten times more than your car in many states is write a check and sign your name?? Why aren't MH owners required to prove they have the ability to operate it safely and the knowledge of how to maintain and keep it operationally safe??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I've stated it before, but it bears repeating. All of us had to study the traffic laws, pass a written test and demonstrate to a driving inspector our ability to drive a car safely before getting a driver's license. Then some of us who wanted to operate a commercial vehicle had to do more studying, take another test and demonstrate not only our ability to operate that vehicle, but also how to inspect the brakes and keep the unit safe. If you want a motorcycle endorsement, it's another written and driving test. Why is it that all you have to do to legally drive a motorhome weighing over ten times more than your car in many states is write a check and sign your name?? Why aren't MH owners required to prove they have the ability to operate it safely and the knowledge of how to maintain and keep it operationally safe??
You’d have to ask your state legislators. The testing I took 40-odd years ago to obtain a DL was a joke, same for the motorcycle endorsement. I renewed all those year by mail and only had to take a vision test to obtain the same endowments after moving to another state. I can’t imagine testing to obtain a MH license would qualify anyone to do more than pick their nose.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #67
NXR

Quote:
Because government regulations rarely equate to improved operations over a long period of time AND commercial (moneymaking versus personal use) factors in.

I got my license in 1973. I've never had to take a recurrency test to assure I'm still safe. I also drove 33,000 lb. fire engines and 48,000 lb. ladder trucks on emergency responses. A CDL is not even needed in Ohio. Why? The fire lobby complained about increased costs to taxpayer-supported functions and the fact that driving massive vehicles is a small part of the job.

RVs are kind of the same. Rarely driven percentage-wise, personal usage and mostly parked so the overall risk is considered low. And the lobbyists would fight it.

Ray
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #68

So are you are saying is that there is no reason to check anyone for any type of driving license? Just write the check and sign your name?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #69
NXR

Quote:
So are you are saying is that there is no reason to check anyone for any type of driving license? Just write the check and sign your name?
Ive never heard of anyone being unable to eventually squeak by and get a license. Heck, Ohio used to have a mandatory parallel parking requirement. While that made some sense with regard to judgment of distances and the like, it was a common failure on the test. You know, because parallel parking is done so often...

The motorcycle endorsement was equally a joke. If you could keep it upright around the cones you passed.

Maybe it's time to push that pass/fail to the driving schools. How much more inept could it be?

Ray
Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #70

I was fortunate to have driven many types of large and oversized equipment over the last 60 years and also knew how to check and maintain them. Most of these weight and tire pressure questions along with other RV issues could be answered in a simple two hour class before the newby took the wheel and headed down the road. Any type of formal instruction from a qualified instructor could only help those who have not had experience in a heavy vehicle. I just don't see the problem with requiring certain basic understanding of a 10 to 20 ton box on wheels.

Tags
weight