Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Weight capacity

What is the danger of over weight capacity on a motor home?
CYNT RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

The first thing that comes to mind is blown tires. You never want to have any one of your tires carrying more weight than they are designed to at their given inflation pressure.
The second thing that comes to mind is stopping distance. I'm nowhere close to my weight limits and still cannot stop on a dime, even though many other drivers seem to think I can....

I'm sure others will chime in with other issues.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #3

The most extreme danger and possibility of exceeding the weight limits is Death. The weight limits of a motorhome or any vehicle are based on the weakest component. If steering axle is rated for 12,000#, the weakest link might be the tire capacity. If you load that axle to 13,000# or 500# over on each tire, there is a real possibility of a tire failure which could result in complete loss of control putting the lives of you, your family and others at risk. Exceeding the design limits of anything can lead to an undesired outcome.

edit: Also, if you do not inflate the tires to the correct psi for the load they are carrying, you no longer have the designed capacity. In the case of an underinflated tire in the above scenario, you could be overloaded at less than 12,000# with a tire failure as the result. Never exceed the weakest link.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #4

It's not hard to come up against the weight carrying capacity of a motorhome. The fancier the interior is, the more likely it is carrying extra weight. Things like tile floors, granite countertops, storage spaces filled with tools and rock collections, extra large tanks for fuel and water. These can all increase the weight of a motorhome. Also, if you tow a large trailer, the 10% of the trailer weight you are supposed to carry on the tow bar, can be added to the weight on the MH wheels. It all adds up.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

Death, injury, premature wear or failure of suspension components, decreased braking performance, reduced fuel efficiency, undesirable or unsafe handling characteristics, liability for knowingly operating an overweight vehicle. I think the last one is called gross negligence.

In addition to the MH there is the toad/trailer and GCVWR to consider.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Right now my rig weighs just under 52,000#'s loaded for a long trip and full water tank. It's GVWR is 54,000#'s. However that's using only 20,000#'s for the drive axle which is legally allowed to be 24,000#'s and axle itself is rated for 26,000#'s. So I'm well under it's capacity even with tile floors, hardwood cabinets etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Right now my rig weighs just under 52,000#'s loaded for a long trip and full water tank. It's GVWR is 54,000#'s. However that's using only 20,000#'s for the drive axle which is legally allowed to be 24,000#'s and axle itself is rated for 26,000#'s. So I'm well under it's capacity even with tile floors, hardwood cabinets etc.
Well that’s certainly impressive, but it does answer the question.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't add to what others have said, but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #9

After the failure of a component due to over loading then the legal aspect kicks in

A local Attorney in Springfield has made millions and is one of the wealthiest people in the city largely winning cases against large semis, busses, and motor home accidents. Mr. Bradshaw is a physician, surgeon and a darn good lawyer. His staff searches all the public data available, forums, Facebook and so on in addition to gathering local data regarding accidents. I don't believe he has lost a case in many years. One of his TV ads states he has won the largest settlement in MO, something like 12 million.

It just isn't smart knowingly to break any kind of transportation related law and especially that has direct links to accidents endangering others as well as your family
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNT RIDER View Post
What is the danger of over weight capacity on a motor home?
The NTSB has stated for many, many years that 60% of ALL RV's running down the road are over loaded and is the #1 cause of accidents.

Curious....why do you ask?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
The NTSB has stated for many, many years that 60% of ALL RV's running down the road are over loaded and is the #1 cause of accidents.

Curious....why do you ask?
Maybe the number one cause of MH accidents, certainly not ALL accidents.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Most of us with tag axles are well under the maximum weight. However, we pay for 2 extra tires every so often as well as some extra maintenance associated with the extra axle so it's not a free ride.

It is nice to travel with a full water tank though, so one can pick and choose where to refill (think hard water), not worry about water between campgrounds, and not worry about a campground with a broken water system.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Maybe the number one cause of MH accidents, certainly not ALL accidents.
Try reading the statement again.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #14

Point of clarification, post #7 should have read: ..., but it doesn’t answer the question.

Tags
weight