Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weight Creep

Being full timers we carry more than weekenders.
Our first trip out I got it weighed so I knew what tire pressures to use.
Came home and got some stuff out.
But we had to have more STUFF for conveniences.
I finally compared the actuals to the Mfgr axle and gross weight capacities.
We were over-weight on the rear (40 lbs) and under on the front but only by 1100 lbs. before we added more. It's a DP with 3051# Cargo capacity. Includes Fuel, water, sewage, junk, us, animals, food, clothes, everything.
So we go through everything again. Fill up the car and take it back to the relatives. I moved all the heavy stuff forward as much as possible.
Breaking axles, poor handling, taxing tires, reduced hill climbing ability, are NOT one of my objectives.
Get your RV weighed. Mine was $10.50 at a truck stop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We fulltime also and have come up with the rule "if we haven't needed, thought of, touched or expressed a desire for an object in the MH in the last six months" it's obvious we don't need it! We have pared down to the point we actually have extra space, especially outside. For her getting rid of a bunch of clothes she was not wearing and for me it was various tools. But it takes discipline!

Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

Boy you have that right. I am reloading MHome now for winter in Florida. Last May had trouble pulling in slide, I had to unload slide to pull up and in. It carries 4 door refrigerator din booth, sofa bed and the 3 largest basement compartments. Basement had 4 tool bags plus misc. parts. Booth had 100 plus 12 oz cans of drinks and water not counting 8 bottles of wine, plus a little booze.

Motor home when on the scale during trip back came in a 1000 lbs over max combined capacity. Wow I had no idea.

It was well balanced and I found no problem with ride or hill climbing. My goal is dropping 1500 lbs minimum.
I am starting with half the tools unloading 90% of parts and liquids are off. some clothes maybe some of dw shoes. Just kidding myself about the shoes.

Also leaving bedroom door, it is not that heavy but drives me nuts, it is always in the way. Had two ladders, one very heavy little giant 2nd was light add-on to rear cap ladder. We had way to many out door chairs (13) now loading 7 so some improvement.

stay safe and under weight.
TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

13 outdoor chairs?😨

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Yes, 13 Chairs but to be fair only 5 outdoor tables for food and drinks.
I really think the two of us need to cut back lol

TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

I have a BYOC policy, but still carry 2 bag-chairs and 2 directors-type chairs. Haven't used the bag chairs in over a year, so they are going into storage.
A rule/guide on the escapees forums is, if you haven't used it in a year get rid of it. If you bring something in the RV, something must go out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

I have talked to many people who carry way too much food and drink. Unless your boondocking 100 miles from a store for a month then unload it. There's a grocery store everywhere. Really 100 cans of drinks???
We are fulltime and underweight. Something comes in then something goes out
Ron says that he's now down to 1 pair of underwear and a shirt !!!!!!
I actually get cranky when I can't find stuff every few months to get rid of
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Rule:
If you bring something into the RV, something of equal weight or volume must go out!
Exception: Consumables, but not in excess.

Tags
weight