Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Weight of MH on driveway

Any one have an idea if I can park our 26k lb motor home in our cement driveway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The answer more depends upon the condition of your driveway, a "normal" driveway should be perfectly fine unless maybe it's built on top of a swamp!

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

I agree with John, most driveways in my area are 4in.thick and on a min.base of 4in. of stone.
My drive has a spring under it so the new one has a 24in.base over stabilization fabric,then 5 to 6in of 5000psi.concrete with re-bar and wire. Think it will hold anything We park on it now.
I went through 2 installs before we decided to build a runway grade driveway.
Even if it breaks up it should outlast me this time. :-)
Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kdickerson,
Welcome to iRV2. John is correct in the answer is it all depends. Residential driveways are 4" of concrete, not reinforced. The pad for my coach (32K) is six inches of reinforces concrete. My coach must cross about 1/3 of my driveway entering and leaving the pad. The driveway has cracked where the coach crosses it. That being said, I live in South Florida and my driveway is built on sand.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

It has a depends a lot on how good of a job they did pouring it. Stay off the edges they will probably break first. Mine was poorly done and crack and slumped I should say crushed. Now I have a nice new reinforce thicker and wider stamped drive.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Thank you all. I'm in iowa, pretty much on clay. Driveway seems to be very good built the house 13 yrs ago and have never had problems.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What year was it installed? Ours was in 1964 and it has cracks all over it. Cost to replace is about $6K or more. When it was put in it was just 4 inches of concrete (if that much). Now-a-days, it may be a matter of community code as to what the minimum requirements are. Here, now, it requires re-bar, which will stand up to much more weight.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #8

We added a third driveway for RV parking. We had a 26' Class C at the time. The contractor suggested a 6" regular mix for the first 15' from the street, then an 8" slab with extra aggregate for where the RV wouls sit for the winter.

We've moved up in weight, but no problems (yet)
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #9

You can put wood under the tries to spread out the weight over a larger portion of the cement.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used my 4 inch slab for two years on my 20 K unit and have had no problems, but I do park in on stone for the winter.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #11

My previous 18K MH and my current 28K DP MH sits on a 4" (technically it is 3 1/2" because they used a 2x4) slab. The concrete is 3,000 psi with wire mesh and fiberglass fibers. It hasn't cracked yet in 14 years even with the day-night temperure changes in northern Colorado.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
KIX

let's figure it out mathmatically........let's say you drive a car that weighs 5000 lbs. Each tire has a "contact patch" of say 4" x 5" or 20 sq.in. The front axle is usually the heavies so let's say it weighs 3000 lbs or 1500 lb per front wheel. Divide 1500 by 20 = 75. so each of the front tires exert about 75 lbs per sq. in. onto the concrete driveway.

Now, take the motorhome's contact patch of say, 4" x 6" and a wheel weight of maybe 6000 lbs. or a pressure of 250 lbs / sq. in.

Most ready-mix concrete is a minimum of 2500psi. So, it appears that the concrete could well support the weight of your coach. But, there's a "rub". Concrete is brittle and although the concrete will not compress with the weight you are contemplating exerting on it it could well break if the base under the concrete is not solid. So, just as others have said .......it depends on the soil or base under the concrete.......

My suggestion is to have someone watch for stress cracks in the concrete as you move the motorhome over the driveway. At the very first sign of cracking, if any, get off the concrete. It's the only way you'll know the answer you're looking for.
If it cracks use a 2 part epoxy concrete patch on the crack.
Good luck.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #13

Thank you for your help.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
let's figure it out mathmatically........let's say you drive a car that weighs 5000 lbs. Each tire has a "contact patch" of say 4" x 5" or 20 sq.in. The front axle is usually the heavies so let's say it weighs 3000 lbs or 1500 lb per front wheel. Divide 1500 by 20 = 75. so each of the front tires exert about 75 lbs per sq. in. onto the concrete driveway.

Now, take the motorhome's contact patch of say, 4" x 6" and a wheel weight of maybe 6000 lbs. or a pressure of 250 lbs / sq. in.

Most ready-mix concrete is a minimum of 2500psi. So, it appears that the concrete could well support the weight of your coach. But, there's a "rub". Concrete is brittle and although the concrete will not compress with the weight you are contemplating exerting on it it could well break if the base under the concrete is not solid. So, just as others have said .......it depends on the soil or base under the concrete.......

My suggestion is to have someone watch for stress cracks in the concrete as you move the motorhome over the driveway. At the very first sign of cracking, if any, get off the concrete. It's the only way you'll know the answer you're looking for.
If it cracks use a 2 part epoxy concrete patch on the crack.
Good luck.

I worked in reinforced concrete for many years and never once saw concrete fail under compression. The issue at hand here is flexural strength. Most cracks that we see in concrete are SHRINKAGE cracks anyway which is another matter all together. Cement shrinks and the higher the PSI strength, the more cement that is in the concrete mixture. which leads to more shrinkage and therefore more shrinkage cracks.