Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Weight problems with "front kitchen" floorplans?

As we continue our shopping/deciding we've become drawn to "front kitchen" floorplans, like the Monaco/HR SKQ. The appeal isn't so much having the kitchen in the front but rather having the wall-mounted TV in the back of the living space.

One concern about these floorplans is that the refrigerator is immediately behind the co-pilot's seat, and hence may tend to have more weight on the front axle.

Should this be a concern? Has anyone with one of these floorplans checked their front axle weights and seen a problem? Any other comments on these layouts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Shouldn't be a problem, my 150 gallon fuel tank and 25 gallon propane tank are located there and they weigh a lot more than a fridge does.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not a problem on mine. Weighed last weekend, full fuel, full propane, and DW in her seat. 10120lb . 12000 axel . Go for it, you will love it. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Its only a problem if they marginalized the axle, wheels and tires. This has happened to me and caused me to weigh a couple of times, shift things around just to get by. One high end manuf had to retrofit some coaches after customer complaints with higher capacity axles, wheels and tires.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
He is so right about the front axle. My friend has a front kitchen and because the fridge is right up behind the passenger he is right at the axle weight Before they are in the seats. The gen set is on the front also. He can't carry anything up front like food in the fridge without being over. Bad deal all around.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

On our Ventana, we have a pantry & residential fridge right behind the passenger seat. We were weighed with pretty full waste tanks, about 1/3 tank of fresh & an almost full tank of fuel. The tech that weighed us wanted to know what we had in the basement since that corner weighed 500 lbs more than the other front corner!

They said it wasn't a problem and we were still well under the max weight. The Newmar tech confirmed that the fridge & kitchen was what was adding the weight there. The other side just has a couch & the dinette.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had my front kitchen coach weighed at a rally. The front axle is rated at 14,600, weights were:

Right, 6,650 (refrig, stove, M/W, sinks)
Left, 6,500 (sofa sleeper, kitch table and chairs)

Total, 13,150

Safety margins: Right, 420; Left, 570; total, 1,450.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
With full fuel, 1/2 fresh water and a heavy load of beer and wine 12 cases (as far back as possible) we still have a 700 lb margin on the front axle.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

There is no single answer to that. If the coach is designed well, the front axle will have enough weight capacity for the load it is expected to carry. Sadly, RV manufacturers often neglect this and instances of axles that are overloaded right from the factory are all too common. And not just front kitchen models either. Examples of this go back to the late 90's that I am aware of, so it's not a recent thing either.
The bottom line: try verify before buying, even if that means getting the coach weighed as a condition of sale.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

I can't say anything about front vs. other kitchen arrangements I can comment on weight. I asked for a scale weight as a condition of sale with the fresh water, fuel and propane full. Had I done this on the old coach I would not have bought it.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

We have a 2008 HR 40 SKQ. After weighing with full fuel and fridge full we still had axel capacity. I say go for it and you won't be sorry.
jlandon13399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
As we continue our shopping/deciding we've become drawn to "front kitchen" floorplans, like the Monaco/HR SKQ. The appeal isn't so much having the kitchen in the front but rather having the wall-mounted TV in the back of the living space.

One concern about these floorplans is that the refrigerator is immediately behind the co-pilot's seat, and hence may tend to have more weight on the front axle.

Should this be a concern? Has anyone with one of these floorplans checked their front axle weights and seen a problem? Any other comments on these layouts?
Are you able to have the coach weighed before you make your final decision? You would be assured that the weight was good or not.

You may have to do some estimating if the tanks are not full but if you estimated the full weight of the tanks on the axle and were still under you would be golden.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #13

Wheels and Tires

Folks,

There are two other aspects to consider:

1. Front rim weight capacity; Normally stamped on to the rim on the inside edge.

2. Tire weight capacity; Molded into the tire sidewall.

JohnnyB
Old 11-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
Not a problem on mine. Weighed last weekend, full fuel, full propane, and DW in her seat. 10120lb . 12000 axel . Go for it, you will love it. JD
But how much is on the side with the galley? You can be under overall and still over on one side (a good reason for 4 wheel weights, BTW).

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight