Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Weighty issues

Hello All,
My wife and I are shopping for a new to us diesel pusher. We are intending to full time, so are concerned about having plenty of carrying capacity for all our STUFF plus food and water for extended boondocking. The more we shop the more we realize how few coaches seem to have adequate CC. And then there is the challenge of trying to figure out the CC of older coaches. (We are determined to find a mid-door model without having to sell the farm [literally] so we are looking at a lot of early to mid 90s coaches.) The GWVR isn't usually too tough, but the "curb weight" for the other half of the calculation can be a challenge!
All of this searching has led to my real question. I have noticed that there can be as much as 7-9 THOUSAND pounds difference between the empty weights of two forty foot diesel pushers. HOW CAN THIS BE???? I realize that some manufacturers used aluminum in the framing, while others used all steel, and I am sure there are other differences in how "heavy duty" the coach may be and what amenities it has, but the differences still strike me as extreme. Then there is the difference between two similar coaches FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER that vary wildly. According to the Beaver brochures (so kindly provided by Connie Bradish on the Beaver Motorhome History website) the 1988 40' Marquis has a "dry weight" of 22,710, while the 1993 40' Marquis (still made by pre-Safari BMC) has a "curb weight" of 28,000. That's more than five thousand pounds difference on two coaches of very similar external appearance, from the same company on the same brand chassis. The '93 has a much higher GVWR and therefore stronger and thereby presumably heavier axles, and a perhaps slightly heavier engine, but I don't see 5,000lbs!!! So was Beaver, in their "declining years", making a "stouter" coach than in their heyday???? Can there be that much difference between "dry" and "curb" (noted "fuel only") weight?? The earth's gravitational field grew stronger between '88 and '93?????!!!!!
Then between brands: how is it that a Foretravel can weigh 24,000 and a Monaco weighs 29,000, when they both have a "built like a tank" reputation?
All comments and input from those wiser and more experienced than I would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

Have you thought about getting a tag axle coach?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

I have a 2006 Country Coach that is heavy to start with then when you add a few things you are over weight and a tag axle would help on this problem. With real wood, rock on the floor, it all adds up.
I had my coach weighted at the FMCA Rally in Albany,Or (4 corner wt) and I'm over wt in the rear by 1150lbs and under in the front by 730lbs. With a combined wt of 33,620lbs FR 6,405lbs-FL 6,065lbs RR 10,195lbs-LR 10,955lbs. Must be the new steel and brass radiator and not the way the wife packed the coach. The next thing to go is the 200lb mattress for a sleep number air mattress just trying to get the weight down What a money pit, everytime I turn around need another new toy of some kind.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If you go to rv.org drop the money for their product you will find it the best money you spent on an rv. They have weights and carrying cappacity for pretty much every make and model of Rv. We have a 36' Country Coach also and found that while weight is not an issue we have the storage bays full of stuff that apparently doesn't weigh all that much. We weighted in at 28k and change and all 4 corners were well balanced. GVW is 33200 and a CC of 5282 lbs.
Good luck and happy hunting.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ROADOG,
Newmar provides the unloaded coach weight for all their vehicles. This should also be on a sticker mounted to one of the interior cabinet doors. One can go to COM_Net2 Logon= choose PARTS & Warranty Reference. Choose COACH BROCHURES. There are brochures from 1972 to current. The brochures contain the UVWR, AGWR, GVWR and CCC/NCC.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back when we bought our DSDP Newmar would not provide owners with out the door weights, luckily a tech person accidentally gave them to us. Proved ours was overweight (if the fuel and propane tanks were filled) as it left the factory and led to us getting a new higher rated front axle.
The advertised NCC of our rig was 5,396#'s but at delivery we only had 663#'s of CCC.
The factory published weights, especially the NCC, really don't mean much! Usually they take a coach with no options and weigh it. I haven't seen very many coaches with no options.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses so far, it's great to know I'm not the only one concerned about carrying capacity. Sometimes it seems the sellers have never considered the question, and have no clue about the subject that seems so basic and critical to me. The other aspect of the issue, that I may have buried in my attempt to give background to my query, is how much SHOULD a 40 foot diesel pusher weigh as a indication of how solid and well built it is?
Old 10-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #8

P.S.
I was just looking back through the replies, and in response to Becks question, yes I have considered a tag axle coach. It would certainly take care of the carrying capacity issue as the one I've found has a GVWR of 45,000 (though come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen the empty weight, though I can't imagine it would be that extreme). It is a VERY nice coach. A '99 Monaco Signature 42' mid-entry, with pretty much all the things we're looking for. Down side is the price. Is it really worth almost three times as much as a '92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature series 40' that has most of the same features? '92 40 footer has GVWR of 34,700 and approximate CC of 6,700. Same bedroom, same tub (nice big shower), similar kitchen/front end. Biggest missing features are no Webasto, and I sure like that big one piece windshield with the wipers down out of your face! (course I don't even want to know what it would cost to replace!)
Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Coach comparison

Hi Again,
I was hoping the invitation to express opinions on the relative merits of the '92 and the newer coach for more money would draw more of a response!!!??
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

Just a note on dry weight vs curb weight. Traditionally dry weight does not include fuel, antifreeze, oil, or other fluids. Curb weight does include everything to make it drive able. I believe for RVs that includes 1/3 tank of water and full propane though not entirely positive on that.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ROADOG,
A question asking for comments comparing two Monaco coaches might get a response if posted in the Monaco Owners forum, on iRV2. On the main iRV2 page, scroll down about 1/2 way to the owners forums.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight