Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Community Moderator

weird, i capped the aav, still a smell under the kitchen sink

i noticed this lately... in kitchen area, particularly under the sink, there is a smell. my first thought was the aav, so went out to get a 1 1/2" cap and threaded it on with teflon tightly. well, that didn't do the trick. checked the piping, all were good. i am at my wits end... any other places to check? thoughts?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
With the AAV vent capped, you might be siphoning water through the P-trap and the gasses are coming up the drain. Are you sure the drain lines are all whole and no cracks or places for gasses to escape? Is the sink on a slide, meaning it most likely has a flexible connection under the slide? If so, I'd check there next.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
With the AAV vent capped, you might be siphoning water through the P-trap and the gasses are coming up the drain. Are you sure the drain lines are all whole and no cracks or places for gasses to escape? Is the sink on a slide, meaning it most likely has a flexible connection under the slide? If so, I'd check there next.
i couldn't see any cracks or loose that leak gas.
my tanks have vents on rooftop. when aav is capped, water down is smooth, no issue.
it's on a slide. i'll open up the channel and look into that... thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #4

Check or replace the vent fitting. We were having gray tank odor when driving. Upon removal, the vent under kitchen sink was completely missing the circular diaphragm. The plastic retaining tip had broken off. I just changed all 3 of mine ( bath, bedroom, kitchen sinks). Got a little change back from a 20 dollar bill at Home Depot buying 3 new fittings. (Just put vaseline on threads and hand tighten when installing vent fitting).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1...9012/100204205
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Check or replace the vent fitting. We were having gray tank odor when driving. Upon removal, the vent under kitchen sink was completely missing the circular diaphragm. The plastic retaining tip had broken off. I just changed all 3 of mine ( bath, bedroom, kitchen sinks). Got a little change back from a 20 dollar bill at Home Depot buying 3 new fittings. (Just put vaseline on threads and hand tighten when installing vent fitting).

Oatey 1-1/2 in. ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent-39012 - The Home Depot
initially i suspected the same, so i just capped it. now i duck tapped the opening for pipes down, seems that stopped the smell. i am trying to find the root cause between the tank and the floor and the pathways.

Tags
smell