Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #15

Previous owner said those marks have been there since the coach was new. I suspect this tire was laying down on something at one time maybe when it was in a warehouse. He took it to a Goodyear dealer when the coach was new who told him they were "not cut marks but impression marks from something. If it happened at the factory they would have rejected the tire as defective - cosmetically." He has put 25,000 on it since then. BTW, that front tire must have been mounted so the date code is on the inside of the tire. But I found another tire where the code is showing 3105.

In preparation for selling the coach, the previous owner took the coach to a Goodyear dealer who said the replacement time for old tires was 10 years. Of course this wasn't put in writing and I have been around the block enough times to know that I should be leery of statements like that.

I have so enjoyed y-all's comments. I can see where some of you practice the "thinking out of the box" way of life. Keep it up. It sure makes this forum interesting!

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The Date Code of 3105 puts the tires made in July 2005. Almost 9 years ago. You are running on borrowed time.

Two recommendations!

Get rid of the Goodyear RV670 tires. Many problems have been documented with that specific model. One specific problem has been Rivering.

If you plan to use your tires, any manufacturer, past 6 years most manufacturers will recommend having the tires dismounted and inspected by a qualified professional. Is that cost effective at $50 per tire? Probably when you have to spend $500-$600 per tire for new ones. The hardest part is finding a "qualified" professional tire inspector certified by the tire manufacturer that you trust.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Lucky , I would say.......

[QUOTE=Bigd9;1908512]Previous owner said those marks have been there since the coach was new. I suspect this tire was laying down on something at one time maybe when it was in a warehouse. He took it to a Goodyear dealer when the coach was new who told him they were "not cut marks but impression marks from something. If it happened at the factory they would have rejected the tire as defective - cosmetically." He has put 25,000 on it since then. BTW, that front tire must have been mounted so the date code is on the inside of the tire. But I found another tire where the code is showing 3105.

Your rig riding on that tire..........someone has been very lucky, the driver must of not noticed the person in his passenger seat....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reaper_by_nightrhino.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	55120  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #18

I would not put any stock in what you are told at a Goodyear tire shop. I had defective Goodyear tires on a new van I purchased and was told they had never seen a defective tire --- never happens to their tires. I ended up buying 4 Goodrich tires and all my vibration problems were gone. Never been back to a Goodyear store.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I too have had very bad results from Goodyear tires. I'd say you are lucky that tire didn't blow. Do not drive on it another day, and get Michelins to replace the whole lot.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
T
If you plan to use your tires, any manufacturer, past 6 years most manufacturers will recommend having the tires dismounted and inspected by a qualified professional.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
This is a very good recommendation. Michielin says their tires may be used for up to 10 years. My last set of Michelins lasted about 7 years. I had them inspected by a tire professional, and 600 miles later I had a slow leak that would stop at 80 lbs. and not go any lower. It turns out I had a small crack on the outer sidewall and some sort of channel through the sidewall belts to the inside of the tire. Having the tires inspected is a good practice, but you usually can't predict when the tire will fail even if they have been inspected. Always drive carefully and check the tires daily or more often.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I had similar marks on two of my Goodyear tires, located on the same side but not as deep as yours. I assumed it was damage from a road construction site.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
Marks from "the boot" ?
steinjef
What exactly is "the boot"?

Bigd9
Because they DO appear to be CUTS, (and because they are "spaced at 13 inches apart all the way around the tire"), I also think they were caused by tire chains, (or something similar).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #23

As a professional truck driver with over 30 years on the road and 3 steer tire blowouts at speed I recommend that you determine what brand of tire you wish to replace yours with, buy them and have a mobile service truck come to your location and change at a minimum the steer tires on your MH.
I personally would not believe the previous owner that he had put 25,000 miles on these tires after seeing this damage or that he consulted a tire dealer.
I have seen too many steer tire blowouts that resulted in severe body damage to the vehicle and 1 that I drove up on that resulted in a death. If this damage was on a commercial vehicle and DOT saw it, the vehicle would be placed "out of service" right where it was until a replacement tire was mounted.
This is an OLD, damaged tire. Is a few dollars saved by running it as is and hoping it holds up worth the life of one of your family or others on the road? You obviously have a concern or you would not have taken the efforts to take a picture and post the question. I think you already knew the answer and now have confirmation.
Google Motor Home Steer Tire Blowout Pictures, look at a few of them.
The cost of the tire will be much cheaper than the damage caused by a blowout!
As for the specific brand recommendations just remember that every major tire manufacturer had had bad tires and recalls at one time or the other. If we didn't use a brand because they once had a defective tire we would be parked!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #24

Mel,

To answer your question, "the boot" is a circular clamping device used by parking enforcement officers to immobilize a vehicle. It is usually used on vehicles which have accumulated a large number of unpaid parking tickets.

Once burned by a particular brand of tires, it is impossible for me to buy that same brand again. In 1977 in a brand new Chevy Monte Carlo on our first road trip from LA to SF, I discovered steel cords showing on the face of 3 Firestone 500 tires. By the time we found a Firestone store in Redwood City all four were showing cord! I haven't looked at a Firestone tire since. In fact, in ordering new cars I tell the dealer that I won't accept a car with Firestones.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I had similar marks on two of my Goodyear tires, located on the same side but not as deep as yours. I assumed it was damage from a road construction site.
Hey watch it buddy. I spent my entire 35 year career building roads and bridges in my state and I never intentionally built anything that would damage tires. (said in jest and with a smile)

But then there was that time a jacked up 4x4 pickup truck ignored the road closed signs and actually pushed the big duel 10 foot wide and 6 foot tall very heavy wooden reflectorized barricades off to the side of the road, climbed a mound of dirt 4 feet high that was across the highway and raced down the grade of an interstate type of highway we were building. We saw the dust and heard the engine of the truck trying to blow by us making a show of defiance. “You can’t stop me from using the road, I have a really cool pickup truck and I can go anywhere I want,” I could just imaging him saying. The dirt grade and the bridges were complete and we were just getting ready to place 18 inches of stone and asphalt on the grade. The pickup truck driver saw us trying to flag him down and thinking we were going to stop him...which we were... he floored it. He must have been looking at us in his rear view mirror because he saw the bridge end sticking up 18 inches higher than the grade to late to do anything about it. There was this loud crash and the pickup skidded down the bridge, minus both axles, tires and springs, ping-ponging off both new concrete side barrier walls. I imagine THAT damaged his tires.

He not only had a totaled truck, but his insurance had to pay the cost to repair the concrete barrier walls! Talk about having a bad day!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Took the photos to Howell Tires here in P'cola. He agrees probably road damage but has not seen anything similar. (Howell has been a major tire dealer for many years, commercial truck, RV, auto) Also agrees it's overdue for replacement.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
If the tires were newer, I would guess they are marks left by ejection fingers from the tire mold, if the tire was ejected too early. Are they only on one side?
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Going to deviate a little from your OP Bigd9 Another bridge story. I was driving down 127th St. in Blue Island heading home to Kankakee back in 1967-68. I-57 in I.L. wasn't yet completed , but when I drove by the on ramp I noticed that the barricades had been moved sideways to the edge of the on ramp. I thought sweet I'll get home a lot quicker. Wow no traffic, even sweeter. I hadn't got a quarter mile when I saw flashing red lights in my rear view mirror. When I pulled over the cop told me the road was closed, that someone had moved the barricades and in fact there was no completed bridge over the Cal Sag canal another half mile down the road. I'm guessing the drop would have been 100 ft..

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires